Andyg050985

Fionce visa or spouse visa

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Armenia
Timeline

My girlfriend is in Armenia and I am a US citizen who is interested in bringing her over here. I am new at the process. I am interested in finding out what type of visa to obtain? Which one would be faster and easier?

I will be going to Armenia in 2 months to get engaged. Is there anything that I should do before going there in order to expedite the process?

Thank you for your help in advance. I need all the help that i can get.

My girlfriend is in Armenia and I am a US citizen who is interested in bringing her over here. I am new at the process. I am interested in finding out what type of visa to obtain? Which one would be faster and easier?

I will be going to Armenia in 2 months to get engaged. Is there anything that I should do before going there in order to expedite the process?

Here's a comparison between fiance (K1) and spousal (IR1/CR1) visa: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

You can check out the approximate costs and average processing time differences in the chart. Just disregard K3 and DCF. Also, I'm not very familiar with how Armenia consulate handles interview schedules. But just the same, the info in that link will give you the big picture.

For the requirements, VJ guide has some good examples in assembling the petition packages: http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

Do check out the uscis site as well for updated forms and specific form instructions. :)

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello!

My humble opinion: Get engaged now and do the official proposal engagement when you are there (I am assuming you want to be married to her as soon as possible) so you can file a petition for fiancé as soon as possible to start gaining time. Right now the services centers are taking their sweet time to process petitions and I don't think it would hurt if you gain a couple of months by start moving forward.

Please also reference to the guidelines provided by the previous poster.

Best luck in this journey! :thumbs:

Philippians 4: 6-7. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Get engaged now and do the official proposal engagement when you are there (

Engagement is not an issue or requirement.....only original signatures on the G-325A form and her Letter of Intent document. Get those when you are there.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Hello!

My humble opinion: Get engaged now and do the official proposal engagement when you are there (I am assuming you want to be married to her as soon as possible) so you can file a petition for fiancé as soon as possible to start gaining time. Right now the services centers are taking their sweet time to process petitions and I don't think it would hurt if you gain a couple of months by start moving forward.

Please also reference to the guidelines provided by the previous poster.

Best luck in this journey! :thumbs:

How do I get engaged without being there?

Timeline

How do I get engaged without being there?

Follow the guidelines as mentioned by the other poster: http://www.visajourn.../content/guides

This way you can start putting things together, filling out the form, the letter of intent to marry, etc.

By get engaged I meant start talking to your significant other about your plans so you can make progress on putting together your package so you can send it to the Texas lockbox. In this package most of the work and information will be from you, the petitioner, but you will also need her information, a form and signed letter where she confirms she has the intention of marrying you.

Edited by SweetOpossum

Philippians 4: 6-7. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Timeline

Engagement is not an issue or requirement.....only original signatures on the G-325A form and her Letter of Intent document. Get those when you are there.

I just meant he could start talking to her about it, if he plans to make it a surprise I guess he wont be able to ask her to fill out her letter of intent, passport size pictures, etc.

But if they are already talking marriage, she could probably even fill out an mail to him the signed documents prior to his visit.

In my case my love came here with a ring, a proposal and left with all the signed letter and forms. I was surprise he knew exactly what was needed!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I just meant he could start talking to her about it, if he plans to make it a surprise I guess he wont be able to ask her to fill out her letter of intent, passport size pictures, etc.

But if they are already talking marriage, she could probably even fill out an mail to him the signed documents prior to his visit.

In my case my love came here with a ring, a proposal and left with all the signed letter and forms. I was surprise he knew exactly what was needed!

One premise of the K-1 is that the couple is all ready to commit to marriage and residing in the US. If there is any issue, then those need to be resolved and decided upon prior to any petition filing.

So, yes they should not even be thinking about a K-1 until they have crossed that hurdle.

There are many international services where documents can be sent back and forth for signatures...don't need to do that together.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~inquiry about spouse vs. fiance(e) processes~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is no official act that gets you engaged. You are engaged when you consider yourself engaged.

If you really want to get a jump on things, start preparing documents now so when you are there she can sign what she needs to sign.

But even if you can't, if let's say you want to surprise her with a ring, at the very least get the things the trip will generate: Photos of you two together, receipts for gifts you buy and checks from restaurants, stubs from your airline boarding pass, visa stamp. These things will become golden when you need to show USCIS that you actually met, and they will also help you later with the interview.

Timeline

Have you meant in person? That is one of the requirements

I have another question. It states that K1 Fiance visa requirement for engaged couples. But we are not engaged. Does this make a difference? We have been speaking for over 2 years via skype and telephone and chat.

Take note of the eligibility conditions in each petition type. Basically, the petitioner is a US citizen, both parties are legally free to marry and have personally met each other within 2 years prior to filing the petition. The last condition is somewhat vague and tricky, and this is why evidences of a genuine and loving relationship are also required to be submitted with the petition.

I guess at this point or after you propose to her, you just have to discuss with her and make sure she's 101% certain that she wants to move to US. You can read the guides here in VJ to give you an idea for now on what would be required come that time.

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Timeline

Take note of the eligibility conditions in each petition type. Basically, the petitioner is a US citizen, both parties are legally free to marry and have personally met each other within 2 years prior to filing the petition. The last condition is somewhat vague and tricky, and this is why evidences of a genuine and loving relationship are also required to be submitted with the petition.

I guess at this point or after you propose to her, you just have to discuss with her and make sure she's 101% certain that she wants to move to US. You can read the guides here in VJ to give you an idea for now on what would be required come that time.

Thanks but I haven't seen her for over 2 years. But I have 1000s of facebook messages, skype call logs and telephone call logs to prove to them that we are in a loving relationship. So what happens if we havent seen each other for that amount of time. Should I just go over there get engaged and apply over there for the fiance visa at the local US embassy?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.