mawilson

interesting Al Jazeera(?) video

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Islamic rules, laws, and norms do not apply to non-muslims. For muslims to say "you cannot draw this picture because it offends me and my religion" infringes on one's right to freedom of expression. You do not have the right to be not offended.

Even if those laws don't apply, the cartoon was obviously made in malicious intent. Even the pope himself spoke out about how wrong it was. Yes, people do have a freedom of speech and expression, but does that mean you can scream "FIRE" in a crowded theatre? There are still some limits as to how far you can go.

Question: doesn't the shahadah say "there is none worthy of worship except Allah"? So why do you say you should worship the Prophet and Jesus?

Excuse me for the mistake on this one, I had the right track of thought but the words came out wrong. When observing prophets, they should not be idolized.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Even if those laws don't apply, the cartoon was obviously made in malicious intent. Even the pope himself spoke out about how wrong it was. Yes, people do have a freedom of speech and expression, but does that mean you can scream "FIRE" in a crowded theatre? There are still some limits as to how far you can go.

That's a better argument. Although I'll disagree with you on the (complete) intent; there are only two or three cartoons that an objective observer would classify as "malicious". The main problem with the whole fiasco is the mailicious intent of the Danish imams to inflame the muslim world four months after the cartoons were originally published. When they went to the Middle East to publicize the cartoons, they had the original twelve, plus three more, variously depicting the Prophet in the guise of a pig. So to incite anger, they purposefully misrepresented the cartoons by including cartoons that weren't even published. In addition an Egyptian newspaper published (arguably) the most offensive Danish cartoon with little reaction.

Is Islam so weak that 12 cartoons published in a newpaper viewed by a couple million Danes is a serious threat to topple the religion? Close to a hundred muslims died from the protests; are you sure that's what the Prophet would want?

I'm getting off topic (in Off Topic!), so I should say something about Wafa Sultan. What she said on Al Jazeera is valid, but IMHO it needs to be said by muslims as well. She has said she no longer follows or practices Islam, and her argument basically says muslims should reject Islam for the same reasons. That's not going to work. Moderate muslims need to reform the religion, bring it in to the modern age, and reject the backwards Wahabist hijacking of Islam.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

I am not muslim but I have a muslim husband and I agree with the people who say that Islam is very much misrepresented. They are not really a backwards religious group but it is us that is backwards in understanding their religion. I was the dumb American who thought "if its in iraq then its in all the middle east". The same went for Islam. Sure they wanted the women to cover their heads.. but do you realize that it was more for the protection of the woman than to keep her hidden. I didn't have to cover myself when I was in Jordan and my husbands sisters didn't have to either. They can choose and its ok. As far as the bombings and things of that nature... those are not true muslims. A true muslim would not take anothers life. We only know whats happening on tv and the tv is wrong. ..

Then there are the cartoons that they got so mad about... Think about it.. if it was in your religion that there are never to be any pictures of your prophet becase it is not ok to worship anyone but Allah... Wouldnt you be upset if pictures came out .. and then to top it with terrorist pictures?? Sure they went a little bit overboard but hey, look at America when a few thousand people want to be heard. We have our crazy masses too.

I'm nowhere near as "put together" as icyspots post but I couldn't just sit and say nothing on this. Before people pass judgement on Islam, Christianity, or any other religion .. I think it would benefit them much more to do a little research and learn the truth.

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'd like to add some input from another perspective if you all don't mind. My fiance and I are both Jordanian - Christians. I went to Jordan last year and he has lived there his entire life. On a scale of 1-10 Jordan is about an 8 when it comes to being a modern country. However there are many flaws.

I can definitly tell you that being a christian in a country or region (jordan and the middle east) where less than 8% of the population is christian does pose some problems. Not all muslims can be put in the same boat and that is a fact. My fiance and I both have several close friends and good family family friends that are muslim, but again these are muslims that are moderatly religious. On the same note, I can't say that I have any friends that are christian extremists. I think any religion that is taken overboard is not good.

Living in the USA, I had never seen a mosque in my life. My exposure to Islam was very little, but I did educate myself about it. The core of this religion is a peaceful one, as are most religions in the world. There are always going to be people that take it overboard and those are the people that give everyone a bad name. When I was in Jordan, the mosques would call out the prayers 5 times everyday. Most of the prayers were normal, however in some areas, there were mosques calling out prayers that were anti christian and anti-semitic. Now in my eyes it would be these muslims that would protest over the cartoons and not all muslims. I think for every anti-muslim word, post, picture, and comment that has ever been puslished you will be able to find the same things that are anti-semitic and anti-christian that are puslished all over the muslim world.

This is by no means right, and I don't condone this kind of behaivior. But follow by example. If you can't take it, then don't dish it out. I do understand of few of the opinions here, there are several posts here from members that post in the same forum that I usually post in. I can understand how you may want to support you husbands religion, but wrong is wrong and right is right. It is not the religion that is backwards, it is the people that uphold this religion in ways it was never meant to be upheld. You can go to several different countries (muslim) and find that things are totally different. This is the government, and not the religion which is all the more reason why there should be a division between church and state. If I am not muslim and I don't beleive in Ramadan, does that mean I should stay in my home all day? In many countries, christians are forced to fast during ramadan and this is upheld by the government. If you try to go out to eat, everything is closed. If you are in Syria, everything is open. Why the difference? Is it religion or man's understanding of that religion?

I think it was Icyspots that said she was asked if she was a terrorist because she is muslim. I myself was asked if I was a terrorist because I am an arab.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

jordanianprincess,

Very well written. Thanks for your input.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG