tswielder

CP Process in Canada

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Anyone here has done CP in Canada? I'm not from Canada. I am from Japan, but based on what I read about processing time, I'm exploring the CP option since my case number won't be reached until August at the earliest and possibly be September. If I'm going to do CP, I figured I'd rather do it at a CG in Canada rather than flying all the way back to Japan. Luckily, I have a few friends there that I could stay with. I'd love to hear from people who have done this in Canada, how quick/slow the process was, and anything else I should be aware of.

Thank you,

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't done it yet, but my interview will be in Montreal probably in October/November, so I'd also love to hear anyone's experience of the interview process there.

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number SA03xx - Born in Trinidad, WI / Grew up in Canada - Successful interview: Oct 2nd, 2014 @ Montreal

Hi,

Anyone here has done CP in Canada? I'm not from Canada. I am from Japan, but based on what I read about processing time, I'm exploring the CP option since my case number won't be reached until August at the earliest and possibly be September. If I'm going to do CP, I figured I'd rather do it at a CG in Canada rather than flying all the way back to Japan. Luckily, I have a few friends there that I could stay with. I'd love to hear from people who have done this in Canada, how quick/slow the process was, and anything else I should be aware of.

Thank you,

I presume you're resident in the US?

One thing you need to be aware of is that you need to have your medicals done in the same country that you interview in, so be sure to plan enough time in Canada to fit that in too. Country practices vary so I am not sure how far in advance of the interview you will need to be there for to have them done.

I presume you're resident in the US?

One thing you need to be aware of is that you need to have your medicals done in the same country that you interview in, so be sure to plan enough time in Canada to fit that in too. Country practices vary so I am not sure how far in advance of the interview you will need to be there for to have them done.

Yep. I live in U.S. right now. That's a good point. I'll have to look into that. In the States, it's a test that cannot be covered by insurance, so it's an out-of-pocket expense anyway, but I don't know how that works in Canada.

I'll have my interview in Montreal about next April, medicals can be done either at Vancouver-Montreal-Toronto, though I'm wondering if you're even eligible to have the interview in Canada without a resident status...

Someone (also resident in US wanting to do CP in Canada) has asked about this before. It doesn't appear that there is actually any official requirement to be resident where you have CP, or at least that anyone here has found.

It would be useful if anyone could either (1) point out any official requirement to be resident where you have your interview or conversely (2) mention if they are or know of anyone who is resident in US and has done, or successfully arranged with KCC to, interview in Canada.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

Someone (also resident in US wanting to do CP in Canada) has asked about this before. It doesn't appear that there is actually any official requirement to be resident where you have CP, or at least that anyone here has found.

It would be useful if anyone could either (1) point out any official requirement to be resident where you have your interview or conversely (2) mention if they are or know of anyone who is resident in US and has done, or successfully arranged with KCC to, interview in Canada.

If CP works in canada I think all the aos will switch to cp in canada its indeed easier and quicker :)

I'm not an official or an attorney!

Its all about a guess work...

I'm just a DVHOLIC :)

If CP works in canada I think all the aos will switch to cp in canada its indeed easier and quicker :)

Don't forget that standard leave in the US is only two weeks. So average person will probably have to use their annual leave to do this plus the cost of getting there, remember both countries are big and only one consulate that does the visa processing. Students may just not be able to take the time off classes. So easier for some maybe but not for everyone.

Timeline

Don't forget that standard leave in the US is only two weeks. So average person will probably have to use their annual leave to do this plus the cost of getting there, remember both countries are big and only one consulate that does the visa processing. Students may just not be able to take the time off classes. So easier for some maybe but not for everyone.

I was referring to cp vs aos the process seems esier and quicker in cp...

But like you say doesn't help if you have lot of obligations in life like school, work and other commitment...

It would be really nice if we get a feed back about this option in canada, that will help people from far countries and high CNs. ;)

I was referring to cp vs aos the process seems esier and quicker in cp...

But like you say doesn't help if you have lot of obligations in life like school, work and other commitment...

It would be really nice if we get a feed back about this option in canada, that will help people from far countries and high CNs. ;)

This is what DSP-122 says:

Name of United States Consular Office where you would like to process your application

This will usually be the consular office nearest the place you live. However, please note that some U.S. Embassies and Consulates do not process immigrant visas. If you are not sure whether the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you processes immigrant visas, or if you do not know which is the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you, please list the city and country where you live. If you live in the United States and plan to adjust status with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Servies in the U.S., please list "BCIS"; if yo ulive in the United States but you intend to return abroad to be interviewed, please list the U.S. Embassy of Consulate that processes immigrant visas for the area where you lived before you came to the United States.

If keeps saying "where you live" but doesn't say home country. But, the last sentence also says where you lived before, but I'm not sure if that means that's a requirement or if they're just assuming that people would only return to where they were before.

On a separate note, what do I have to do to change it from AOS to CP process? I mailed in my I-230 and DSP-122 a long time ago, but my case number hasn't been reached yet and won't be reached until August or September, so I'm guessing it's early enough that I just need to notify them rather than submitting a form like I-824. Anyone has done this or know what's needed?

Timeline

The thing is some US embassies in countries don't process immigrant visas like sudan, uganda, belarus..

Some don't have embassies at all no diplomatic relation !

Like iran. That why the process the iranians in other countries like dubai,turkey,armenia...

Some process their application in other countries because they reside there !

The Us embassy in canada does process immigrant visas, but we don't know for sure, if they will allow it with a visitor visa!

That's why I was hoping we could get a feed back from someone !

Now about your question where you want to know how to switch to cp read this topic :

http://forums.immigration.com/forum/immigrant-visas-green-cards/lottery-visas-dv/351300-changing-from-aos-to-consular-processing

The thing is some US embassies in countries don't process immigrant visas like sudan, uganda, belarus..

Some don't have embassies at all no diplomatic relation !

Like iran. That why the process the iranians in other countries like dubai,turkey,armenia...

Some process their application in other countries because they reside there !

The Us embassy in canada does process immigrant visas, but we don't know for sure, if they will allow it with a visitor visa!

That's why I was hoping we could get a feed back from someone !

Now about your question where you want to know how to switch to cp read this topic :

http://forums.immigration.com/forum/immigrant-visas-green-cards/lottery-visas-dv/351300-changing-from-aos-to-consular-processing

Looks like the safest is to call a US embassy in Canada and ask them directly. I'll try asking them. Thanks fro the link to that thread. I'm going to double check with KCC just in case.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

If keeps saying "where you live" but doesn't say home country.

That's because they don't know where you live, but you do. It should be the Nearest to you.

If everyone wants his/her CP in Montreal then guess what? That's gonna start causing delay and makes near impossible to get an interview. Those with high numbers will have no chance!

We all Live in a Yellow Submarine...

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have actually contacted the embassy here in Ottawa and they have said that it's not a problem to pass the interview here in Canada. Here is the response :
"It is always best to apply for a visa in your home country. However, we understand that it can be difficult for those living in the U.S. to return home. You may request an appointment for a visa interview at the Embassy in Ottawa or at any of our Consulates throughout Canada. "
As far as the interview goes, I have no idea but I would appreciate any feedback from others that have passed it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.