merkin&regine

SPA / Authorization for Minor to St Luke's Medical

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I tried to look for answers here but I couldn't find one.

My son, petitioned by my USC husband as a step son, will have his medical next week at St. Lukes, I just realized that the person accompanying him is my father, his grandfather and would not constitute him as a legal guardian as we dont have any legal documentation on that nor would my father be considered his parent.

I am now scrambling to create a Special Power of Attorney, giving my Father, the authority to sign, retrieve medical results of my son during the medical examination & should I give him the authority too to accompany him during his interview and sign any paperworks that needs signature in behalf of me?

If an SPA is needed, my question here would be country specific I would say, because I don't know if the SPA needs to be Notarized from Philippines Embassy or a Notary public on our state would do it?

Thanks in advance and I hope to hear suggestions and answers from you guys.

P.S. my son is illegitimate and I am the mom, the biological father will not be accompanying my son to his medical nor his interview.

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
  1. Minors (17 years old and below) must be accompanied by their parent or by a legal guardian who has thorough knowledge of the child's medical history.

In case the companion is not the legal guardian, a special power of attorney or authorization letter from the petitioner stating that the companion is authorized to sign on his behalf for the applicant's medical examination and result.

Authorization letter should be enough. Much better if signed by petitioner and mother. http://www.slec.ph/us-visa-applicants.shtml#required-exams

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline
  1. Minors (17 years old and below) must be accompanied by their parent or by a legal guardian who has thorough knowledge of the child's medical history.

In case the companion is not the legal guardian, a special power of attorney or authorization letter from the petitioner stating that the companion is authorized to sign on his behalf for the applicant's medical examination and result.

Authorization letter should be enough. Much better if signed by petitioner and mother. http://www.slec.ph/us-visa-applicants.shtml#required-exams

Thanks apple21, and Yup, I read this and this is the reason why I scrambled in trying to do this. My question is... If I have to consularized (Notarized from the Philippine Embassy with ribbon) this SPA or if can I just notarized this document using our state's notary public?

I really have no time and just decided to do a Notary using our Notary public here in our state and have it notarized. I would think that consularization is an overkill :). I already mailed the document to the Philippines as his medical is next week.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the input.

event.png

Stepson I-130 Petition

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/16/14... Alien Registration Number was changed notification via text/email

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

NVC Stage

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/24/14... 1st AOS package entered on NVC System

3/25/14... 2nd NVC package entered on NVC System

4/1/14... IV package entered on NVC System

4/4/14... AOS Checklist.. :( Huhuhuhu, overlooked and forgot to put number "1" at the end of part 3. :(

4/4/14... Responded and Mailed AOS Checklist.

4/24/14... Case Complete. Yaaaay!

6/23/14... Interview date. Yohooooo! Good luck to us! :)
6/23/14... Approved! Yeeeey!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

have you tried getting direct info from St. Luke's ? Please let me know if SPA is needed, I too have minor children that will go through medical and interview with my parent accompanying them. Thanks!

As apple21 quoted from St Lukes, it looks like we really need the authorization/SPA for them to accompany/sign relevant documentation during the medical examination in behalf of us, as our parents are not considered legal guardian of our son/daughter unless appointed by court.

Good luck.

event.png

Stepson I-130 Petition

1/16/14... Alien Registration Number was changed notification via text/email

NVC Stage

3/24/14... 1st AOS package entered on NVC System

3/25/14... 2nd NVC package entered on NVC System

4/1/14... IV package entered on NVC System

4/4/14... AOS Checklist.. :( Huhuhuhu, overlooked and forgot to put number "1" at the end of part 3. :(

4/4/14... Responded and Mailed AOS Checklist.

4/24/14... Case Complete. Yaaaay!

6/23/14... Interview date. Yohooooo! Good luck to us! :)
6/23/14... Approved! Yeeeey!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

An authorization letter doesn't need to be notarized but you have to mail it to them so that it bears the original handwritten signatures (not scanned from a PC).

If you're executing an SPA, that requires a notary.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.