GCJourney

30 days and no SSN? Need DHS verification?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I applied for a Social Security card on April 4th with a EAD card and called to ask about the progress of my SSN application last week (since I'm a student it's hard for me to physically go to the SS office). A SS personnel returned my call and said that my application needs DHS verification and it will take 3 to 4 months... Because I put down my school mailing address and I am moving away in a month, I have a few questions:

1)How long will it take for DHS verification until I receive my SSN? I've heard it takes a few weeks at most, but never 3 to 4 months delay...

2)If I ask to change my address while my SSN application is pending, would that delay my number even more? What is the process to change my mailing address?

3)Because I am a student that lives quite far from SS office, should I still try to go to the office in person and ask? (the SS personnel said there is nothing to be done if I show up...)

Thanks so much in advance!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

When I file to get a SSN it took like a month because I also needed the DHS verification.... doesnt take three or four months but it does take a while.... I receive my card in the mail without any further action in the office. In my case it helped I went to the office because they made copies of what they needed and explain me the process

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

I was reading on the social security website and this is what it says

. We must verify your documents with DHS before we assign you a Social Security number. After receiving verification from DHS, we will mail your Social Security cAfter receiving verification from DHS, we will mail your Social Security card. Most of the time, we can verify your documents quickly with DHS online. If your documents cannot be verified online, it may take DHS several weeks to respond to our request. We are working closely with DHS to reduce these delays.

You could try calling this number to inquire if they have a social security number /card for you ready 410-965-9334

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

a month is too long.

go back asap and talk with a supervisor, no more of this phone call stuff.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thank all of you so much! I called them twice today and no calls returned... So I'll go to the office tomorrow to find out what the problem is. Wish me luck!

I also have a question about changing mailing address during SSN application. Is that advisable? How much longer will it take for them to process the application?

Thanks!

Timeline

all can be handled face-to-face with a supervisor.

IMO, somethings amiss with what was done, prior, by the last human that touched yer application.

A supervisor can fix all, but you must go in person.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

My wife is in the exact situation. She came here on a K1, we got her original social security card with a little bit of fuss (I had to correct the agent/refuse to be sent away 3 times). We got the original card, we got married, sent off AOS, got our EAD card. We then went back to change the social security card to her married name and remove the DHS stamp. Everything seemed to go smoothly this time, only we were told it would take about 4 weeks to get the new card. That was on March 18th and now here we are 30+ business days later.

I tried calling my local office, but their number automatically hangs up on you (why am I not shocked?).

I called the social security website number and the agent has told me that the DHS hasn't verified anything from the EAD card paperwork yet, so its all on hold and could take months. She said they must be backed up. She suggested I call the DHS and see if I can inquire there because she couldn't help me. She then said she didn't have a number for the DHS, so I should look it up (really rude). At this point I'm pretty frustrated.

Does anyone have the number or email address for the DHS dept that verifies SS EAD documents? I am contemplating bringing my wife back to the social security office again, but that would require both of us to take off work and we really want to avoid that if possible.

Timeline

I totally understand, I've never had a good experience with calling the SS office, so I followed others' advice on this thread and I went to the office (after so many unproductive phone calls) and they told me that the delay was actually the system thought I already had a SSN (confused me with other people who had same name and birthdate). So after what seemed like a very easy fix that should have happened thirty days ago, the lady said the card should come in in another two weeks...

Hopefully I'll be able to update once the card arrives successfully. And yes, I completely agree with others' advice of going to the office directly (useless over the phone) so they can let you know in person what is wrong with the application. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Timeline

ok - so - go back on Monday, ask for the Number - they will give it to you. I hope you updated your address whilst you were there, as it's unknown if SSA postal mail is forwarded on by USPS.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My spouse had her POE 3 weeks ago. I went with her to the SSA office a week ago, and they refused her to apply for a SSN. They said it takes a month for the info to transfer over from USCIS and its only been 2 weeks. And they don't want 2 numbers to be issued. So they told me to come back a month later. I even talked to the supervisor and she said the same thing. So I will wait for 30 days past her POE and go to the office and try again.

I told them can you check the SAVE database. and the guy flat out refused and said that system is external and they can't divulge that information. Complete BS.

BTW, we live in Arizona.

USCIS:
02/22/2013 - I-130 Sent
11/29/2013 - I-130 Approval Text/email
12/02/2013 - Case Sent to NVC
NVC:
12/23/2013 - Case Received
01/17/2014 - Case Number/IIIN# Assigned
01/29/2014 - AOS and IV invoiced + Paid
02/03/2014- AOS + DS-260 Receipt sent to NVC via FedEx
02/04/2014- NVC received packet
02/28/2014 - Case complete
MUMBAI CONSULATE:
03/18/2014 - Fingerprinting and photos taken
04/01/2014 - Medicals complete
04/11/2014 - Interview!
04/11/2014 - Approved!!
04/16/2014 - Passport ready for pickup at Mumbai consulate(pickup location)
POE
04/19/2014 - POE(Los Angeles)
I am the Petitioner.

Filed: Timeline

My wife and I are going to the SS office tomorrow to ask why her new SS card with her married name hasn't come in almost 2 months after it was supposedly sent for DHS verification.

Hopefully, we can fix the problem with the application without issue and I don't have to waste energy fighting their "dismissive" ways.

Timeline

Yay!

To CeleBrate - please fill out yer timeline, completely,

over at

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=184837

Thanks so much, and Thanks in Advance !

Edited by Darnell

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.