deathbydalbhat

Addressing age difference in K1 Petition

25 posts in this topic

Generally agree with kitkat, but with the caveat to check the forum for the consulate you're going through. Some (Casablanca) consulates, anecdotally at least, seem to rely very heavily on the initial petition package when assessing the couple's bona fides. Might be worth checking with other people's experiences at the consulate you're going through.

Still, it's completely the case that the time to address the age difference is at the consulate.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

My husband's going thru Casa, and for a while I stressed out over our 21 year age difference because they do tend to make it a big deal there when the woman is much older. Yet, the law is, if they knew about it when the petition is approved, they can't deny you on that, so age itself isn't a disqualifier. What may happen is that they may ask about the age difference knowing they can't use it against you, but it may still trigger a red flag to look for other things to pick at. Just help him prepare for all kinds of things.

This is a useful link: Denials Of Family-Based Immigrant Visas At Consulates And DHS Petition Revocations

My fiancee is 62 years old and I'm 28. That's a big age difference but we didn't worry about it when we filed for our K1. We're very sure that I'm going to be questioned about it on the interview but I'm going to speak of what is true and what my heart tells me. Age doesn't matter in love and it will never be a problem for us, no matter what happens. So you go for it! :thumbs:

Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Cool, good to see someone in a similar situation from a similar culture!(some would say same culture but Kumar would not be happy if I said that, Nepal likes to be different...lol :whistle: ) I wish you both luck and please keep me posted - I will do the same.

Yes, they are similiar cultures! I will keep you posted. Right now I am trying to have patience waiting for the NOA2- PATIENCE, the biggest thing I guess I learned from my years in India :lol: ...and keeping busy gathering info for the next steps. Good luck for the two of you! :thumbs:

That is so true, if living/traveling in India or Nepal teaches you anything, it's patience... that and adaptability...after you've been there long enough you're prepared for ANYTHING... I can see why K doesn't freak out over all these problems which are keeping me up at night. You'd think I would learn from him but I'm a worrier by nature... :blink::hehe: All I know is by the end of this process Lord Ganapati is going to get tired of my whining and begging, lol

Cool, good to see someone in a similar situation from a similar culture!(some would say same culture but Kumar would not be happy if I said that, Nepal likes to be different...lol :whistle: ) I wish you both luck and please keep me posted - I will do the same.

Yes, they are similiar cultures! I will keep you posted. Right now I am trying to have patience waiting for the NOA2- PATIENCE, the biggest thing I guess I learned from my years in India :lol: ...and keeping busy gathering info for the next steps. Good luck for the two of you! :thumbs:

That is so true, if living/traveling in India or Nepal teaches you anything, it's patience... that and adaptability...after you've been there long enough you're prepared for ANYTHING... I can see why K doesn't freak out over all these problems which are keeping me up at night. You'd think I would learn from him but I'm a worrier by nature... :blink::hehe: All I know is by the end of this process Lord Ganapati is going to get tired of my whining and begging, lol

It's true that a large age difference is a red flag for possible fraud. BUT you can not be denied because of an age differnce. The age difference as an isloated fact could be a problem, but take it into consideration of all the other evidence you have abot a legitimate relationship and I am sure you will notice that you will have no problems. The best thing to do is continue to collect evidence to show a strong and legitimate relationship.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

If your relationship presentation is solid I don't think the age thing will come into play. I am 32 years older than Claudeth and we had no problems going through the process thus far. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

haha, I know what you mean about being a worrier by nature. So am I! Yet my fiance is not and tells me all the time to stop worrying and stressing.

I tell him it's hard.

There are so many things to do and think about... I know.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Timeline

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question - it seems like the consensus is not to make a big deal about it or not mention it in the I-129F. I think I will just mention it briefly in passing - something like 'despite our differences in culture, age, and background, there was a deep connection between us from the beginning'... how does this sound?

Edited by deathbydalbhat

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question - it seems like the consensus is not to make a big deal about it or not mention it in the I-129F. I think I will just mention it briefly in passing - something like 'despite our differences in culture, age, and background, there was a deep connection between us from the beginning'... how does this sound?

Just BELIEVE in the POWER OF LOVE and as long as you two truly love each other with all your hearts and souls... age difference is difinitely NOT a problem!

David and Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Timeline
Just BELIEVE in the POWER OF LOVE and as long as you two truly love each other with all your hearts and souls... age difference is difinitely NOT a problem!

David and Mae

Thank you - so true! :yes: Our love and our faith in God are the two things which are getting us through all of this!

I am hoping I will be in Kat for the interview just because I think when the interviewer sees the look on our faces when we are together he/she will know instantly that our love is strong! (L) Yesterday I was at work (on my lunch break hehe) writing a letter to my Maya and my boss' friend stopped by. After she left my boss told me she said that I was 'beautiful' - wow haven't heard that often LOL... if his love can brighten my eyes on the other side of the world then baby we wont need to worry about power cuts the next time I am in Kat - our love will generate enough light for the whole city!!! :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.