petra123

DV2015 winner getting married after selection and changed country of residence

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

My fiancé has been selected for the DV-2015 lottery (I applied too but was not selected). We have been together for 7.5 years and engaged since December 2013, and we intend to get married in 2015.

However, since my fiancé has been selected, we think it makes sense to get married before applying for the visa/interview so that I can go on his application as his wife. I am aware this can look dodgy to the consulate officials, and that we would need to take proof of our relationship (photos, joint bank accounts, bills, etc.).

One problem is that we are currently travelling and will be away from our home country for the foreseeable future - we applied for the DV lottery while we were at home in New Zealand, and are currently in the US on B2 visas, and we will leave the US in September and go to Canada to live and work.

Hence, we presumably would need to get married soon-ish so that we can apply for the visa ASAP.

I have two questions about this:

1) Will it look bad if we get married at a town hall (or equivalent) in the US while we are here, or should we wait until we go to Canada and get married there?

2) On the DV lottery application, my fiancé put New Zealand as his country of residence (as it was at the time), but seeing as we will soon be residing in Canada, can we do the interview there instead?

I look forward to responses!

Thank you so much.

I don't think it matters where you get married, as you have identified it's more important to show that the relationship is bona fide. As you have been together for so long that should be easy. And you are correct that it's better to do it before the interview.

Ideally you want to get all the changes - ie marriage and notification of change of interview location - done well in advance of the interview. Judging by what people have said in the past about this, KCC needs to know at least two months in advance. It would seem simplest for your fiancé to send in his d260 with updated interview location when he is able, and then in due course once you are married send in one for you, and an updated one for him with you as derivative. Alternatively wait till you are married and then send all in at once. As long as KCC receive it by around July that shouldn't affect your interview date even if he has a very low number (early interview). (Your interview date will depend on his case number by the way - it's not a case of first come first served.)

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

Glad to hear that it won't matter where we get married. I think we will do that first and then the application all at once.

He has a 2xxx number for Oceania, not sure if that is high or low? I'm thinking quite high?

Thanks heaps.

Your number's quite high to tell the truth so there is no rush to get married next week :)

Follow through with your application and follow DV2014 to see how few last months turn out. This will give you some idea how numbers progress.

The world is governed by chance. Randomness stalks us every day of our lives.

FRANKYNUMBERVILLE ! :content:

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

hi!

my fiancee got selected in a number close to 500.. we are also in the situation where we now need to get married earlier than we thought.

Do you think he should submit his paperwork May 19 when it opens, and then we get married in a month or so and resubmit the amended form and my form? Or should we just both wait till around mid, end of June and submit it all together once married?
Do you think it makes a difference?

CN: DV2014OC000004XX (husband was selected)
Entry checked: 02/05/2014

MARRIED! 14/06/2014
Forms sent to KCC: 16/07/2014
Confirmed by KCC: Yes
2nd NL: Not yet
Documents: Not yet
Police report: Not yet
Medicals: Not yet
Interview: Not yet
POE: LAX

hi!

my fiancee got selected in a number close to 500.. we are also in the situation where we now need to get married earlier than we thought.

Do you think he should submit his paperwork May 19 when it opens, and then we get married in a month or so and resubmit the amended form and my form? Or should we just both wait till around mid, end of June and submit it all together once married?

Do you think it makes a difference?

Answered in other thread, please don't cross post the same question :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.