Danno

Has the time come for an ALL BLACK LEAGUE? Larry Johnson thinks so.

65 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Knicks great calls for all-black league amid Clippers race fiasco

sterling.jpg

Knicks executive and former player Larry Johnson had a decidedly different but still strong reaction to the racially insensitive remarks Clippers owner Donald Sterling is alleged to have made.

On Saturday night, Johnson tweeted: “Black people your Focusing on the wrong thing. We should be focusing on having our own, Own team own League! To For Self!!’’

The initial indication was Johnson was calling for an all-African-American league complete with black ownership. It wasn’t the first time Johnson, who is black, concerned himself with the fact the NBA’s ownership is mostly white while its players are mostly black.

During the 1999 NBA Finals between the Knicks and Spurs, Johnson caused a stir by saying: “We’ve got a lot of rebellious slaves on this [Knicks] team.”

When asked at the time why he referred to his teammates as slaves, Johnson said: “I’ve got to explain that to you? We don’t go with the mainstream.’’

Johnson was hired by the Knicks two years ago and serves many roles as a basketball and business operations representative. It’s unclear what his role will be under new team president Phil Jackson.

In his first comments on getting fired by the Knicks one week ago, Mike Woodson said it was “a dream come true’’ to coach them and he plans to coach again.

“When I look at my situation, I started as a player, I was drafted by the Knicks 34 years ago,’’ Woodson said as an NBATV guest analyst Sunday. “So, to be able to come back and coach the Knicks, I never dreamed of doing that. It’s like a dream come true. And the last two years, prior to coming into this season, was a good two seasons for our ball club and our fans. And this year things just didn’t work out. Sometimes in life things just don’t work out according to plan, but I look at it, overall, it was a good run.’’

Woodson added it was “a great experience’’ and thanked Knicks owner James Dolan. “Sometimes organizations, they move on, they go in a different direction, and that’s what they decided to do with my situation,’’ Woodson said. “So, I got to move on and close the chapter in this book and get ready for a new chapter because I still want to coach and love what I do.”

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

The presidency of the first black president is winding down. White America is going to be baying for blood once the Obama's are gone. Now's a good time for a resurgence of some 60s style black nationalism.

black_power.jpg

Do they still make afro picks with the Black fist in the handle?

afro-pick.jpg

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

I'm sure some enterprising young white dude from the suburbs will open up a factory with cheap and illegal Mexican labor if the demand arises.

No matter what, the white man always wins.

Even when you think he's losing. ESPECIALLY when you think he's losing.

I feel like I should be capitalizing the H in He when I refer to the white man.

Timeline

If the NBA is 80% black, isn't that racist.?? shouldn't they be required to accept a certain percentage of inferior midgets, or white, latino, or Mexican players.??

and what happened to free speech.???

and if people are so angry about what the owner of the clippers has said, they why don't they just stop going to the games,? and why don't the players on the team just quit and go work/play for another team.??

why force this guy to sell the team and earn millions of dollars.? what kind of punishment is that.?

make him go bankrupt..

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the NBA is 80% black, isn't that racist.?? shouldn't they be required to accept a certain percentage of inferior midgets, or white, latino, or Mexican players.??

Don't be asinine. Demographics alone don't demonstrate racial discrimination, for one. Second, AA basketball players have had to long endure racial discrimination. Read up on what Dr. J (Julius Irving) had to go through as a player. White privilege is something that AA in this country have yet to ever experience anything even remotely close.

and what happened to free speech.???

Free speech??? Are you really that thick? Since when did private enterprise be required to allow everyone their constitutional freedom of speech with impunity? What employer do you know that does that?

and if people are so angry about what the owner of the clippers has said, they why don't they just stop going to the games,? and why don't the players on the team just quit and go work/play for another team.??

First - what people are so angry and then why do you think that includes the players and coach? Why don't take the time to read what the head coach and players have said in reaction to this instead of assuming you have some kind of grasp on the issue.

why force this guy to sell the team and earn millions of dollars.? what kind of punishment is that.?

Sponsors have already started to jumpship (lost revenue for the NBA). Again, you really have no grasp on this story or the issue. Business wise, forcing Sterling to sell his team would be smartest thing for the NBA.

make him go bankrupt..

LOL... my thoughts to you is take the time to read up on the NBA, how it operates and makes money and how the individual teams and their owners are in a partnership with the league, then you might realize how silly and uninformed you sound.

Edited by Porterhouse

Filed: Other Timeline

Donald Sterling's words and behavior are disgusting, but this tabloid story is far from over after he was illegally taped in the privacy of his own home by his skank girlfriend arm-candy. How many people on earth would be held in high-esteem by the general public if their words and thoughts were taped, scrutinized and published for the world to see? Any? Not likely.

There are eight things that won't get you banned from the NBA however:

8 THINGS THAT WON'T GET YOU BANNED BY THE NBA
1. Discriminating against black people in housing.
2. Strangling somebody.
3. Being a publicly vicious racist while black.
4. Using anti-gay slurs.
5. Attacking patrons of your sport.
6. Pushing your girlfriend to have an abortion, then harassing her about it.
7. Drawing your gun on a fellow player.
8. Reckless driving resulting in a passenger’s death.
Edited by ExExpat

Donald Sterling's words and behavior are disgusting, but this tabloid story is far from over after he was illegally taped in the privacy of his own home by his skank girlfriend arm-candy. How many people on earth would be held in high-esteem by the general public if their words and thoughts were taped, scrutinized and published for the world to see? Any? Not likely.

There are eight things that won't get you banned from the NBA however:

That depends on how many people on earth think black people have an odor problem, are poor and lazy, and tell them they can't live in apartment buildings they own because of those reasons. I've had many conversations on the phone and I'd have no issues with that becoming public because I'm not trash talking an entire race of people. But, to each his own.

And why is it when there's a clear cut case of racism against a minority, folks(to be clear, I'm talking about you, Danno, and LIB) run out and find lesser cases to compare them to? If you want to get your point across, find a minority billionaire that discriminates against white people. Find one who denied housing to poor white people, and got sued for it. FInd one who has a white girlfriend on the side that he rants to about those pesky white people. You might be able to get more out of the conversation instead of this pettiness.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 THINGS THAT WON'T GET YOU BANNED BY THE NBA
1. Discriminating against black people in housing.
2. Strangling somebody.
3. Being a publicly vicious racist while black.
4. Using anti-gay slurs.
5. Attacking patrons of your sport.
6. Pushing your girlfriend to have an abortion, then harassing her about it.
7. Drawing your gun on a fellow player.
8. Reckless driving resulting in a passenger’s death.

You're going to reference Breitbart as a source for serious discussion? Number 3's synopsis reads like a conspiracy theory just as an example. Good grief.

I don't even know where to start - the list is based on false logic. This situation with an NBA owner saying what he said, is unprecedented. The evidence is very clear - Sterling himself has admitted that that is his voice and his words on that taped conversation. Had he denied the allegations, the NBA would have done further investigation and there probably would have been a hearing. Commissioner Silver still needs 75% of the 29 owners to agree to the ban to make it so. He had to do something, even just from a financial point of view.

Now as far as what kinds of behavior will get you ousted from the NBA, you're welcome to look up the current rules of conduct for players and owners. There's also been a trend among both the NFL and the NBA to show less mercy or tolerance for certain kinds of behavior on or off the field/court. The last controversial situation was when Michael Vick was convicted for dog fighting - many people thought he should have been permanently banned from the NFL, while others believed in his sincere remorse and felt he paid his debt to society after serving time in prison.

These issues are complex and there is no fix-all for any or all negative behavior, but if anyone recalls, Mike Tyson was banned from boxing for biting a piece of Holyfield's ear off.

Filed: Timeline

How many people on earth would be held in high-esteem by the general public if their words and thoughts were taped, scrutinized and published for the world to see? Any? Not likely.

Are you telling us you're a racist when no one is listening?

Why not it's almost all black already. We already have lot's of black only clubs and organizations. One more blatantly racist discriminatory organization would not hurt.

Can you imagine the outrage if someone had called for a white's only baseball league.

Why not it's almost all black already. We already have lot's of black only clubs and organizations. One more blatantly racist discriminatory organization would not hurt.

Can you imagine the outrage if someone had called for a white's only baseball league.

almost all black, except for the majority of owners and coaches.

Well, if you're referring to the Negro League, I'm pretty sure they would love to play with white people. I wonder why they didn't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro_league_baseball

Because blacks were not being accepted into the major and minor baseball leagues, they formed their own teams and had made professional teams by the 1880s.[3] The first known baseball game between two black teams was held on November 15, 1859, in New York City. The Henson Base Ball Club of Jamaica, Queens, defeated the Unknowns of Weeksville, Brooklyn, 54 to 43.[4]

And those clubs aren't racist. If you want to join, by all means, apply.

all

almost all black, except for the majority of owners and most of the coaches.

Fixed for you. I don't think there's a black person who owns a major NBA team. Co-owner, maybe. Jordan comes to mind. And the team he has is horrible. If I'm wrong, let me know.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Blatantly racist is like Donald. Black organizations would not be needed if blacks would be allowed to simulate into American life normally, without all of the hatred and Jim Crow likers.

Sorry you still don't understand this. Why would be want to work for the very people that hate them. I guess you do not understand this because this is not your life, this is the life of blacks. Please get a clue. I keep trying to think you are a good person, but sometimes I just don't know.

Fixed for you. I don't think there's a black person who owns a major NBA team. Co-owner, maybe. Jordan comes to mind. And the team he has is horrible. If I'm wrong, let me know.

no clue. i hate sports, don't watch.