lenster

Questions about K1 for Brazilian fiancee

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I met a Brazilian girl and want to marry her. We have only met in person for less than a month and we do not speak each other's language.

Will the fact that we don't speak the same language cause a problem for obtaining a K1 visa?

She used to be a prostitute will this also be a problem, will the authorities be able to find this out?

How long will it take for us to get approved (if we qualify)?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

lenster,

Everything that you have revealed about your situation will be a problem. Tell us something positive about your situation.

Yodrak

I met a Brazilian girl and want to marry her. We have only met in person for less than a month and we do not speak each other's language.

Will the fact that we don't speak the same language cause a problem for obtaining a K1 visa?

She used to be a prostitute will this also be a problem, will the authorities be able to find this out?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Language can be an issue but usually can be overcome

Does she have a police record from her previous profession?

Length of time is probably 9 mos. but because each consulate is different you should look at other members timelines who are going through Brazil

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Took us 5 months going through Rio. Language is DEFINITLY a problem as they do ask if the brazilian can speak English or if you can speak Portuguese.

About her profession, does she have a record? She'll have to fill out forms that include questions about prostitution, and we all advise that people be honest in this process. I think the question is in regards of doing prostitution in the states but dunno how that will affect your case, really.

Now, my honest opinion? Go down to Brazil a few more times, get to know her better (you don't speak the same language so my guess is your relationship is very limited), learn each other's language so you are actually able to hold a conversation, be sure you want this, be sure she's not after a green card, gather evidence of the relationship while at it and then think about the K1.

Edited by Luis&Laura

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

The good news is that we are in love and that we email each other daily (using an electronic translator).

There is no record of her prostitution that I know of. However, my brother (who was with me when I met her) does not want me to marry her and he has threatened to inform the authorities at the consulate of her profession. Can he really do that? Is there someone that would really take him seriously if he did that?

Thanks for your responses so far.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, he can do that. Third parties can indeed inform the consulate about any problems with a certain petition, like saying it's visa fraud or similar issues.

Maybe your brother is worried about protecting you, and like I said before, again, try to visit her again and get to know each other better. There are too many cases of people seeking the green card at any costs, and we've seen too many members heartbroken over it.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

I would like to go to Brazil a few more times and get to know her better, but my work is in the US and I can't take more than 3-4 weeks off a year. If the whole process takes 9 months I want to get started now and get to know her in the meantime. If I wait until I've known her for a year before I begin the process, it could be two years from now before she can get married. That's a long time to wait.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I would like to go to Brazil a few more times and get to know her better, but my work is in the US and I can't take more than 3-4 weeks off a year. If the whole process takes 9 months I want to get started now and get to know her in the meantime. If I wait until I've known her for a year before I begin the process, it could be two years from now before she can get married. That's a long time to wait.

TROLL.

On the off chance that you aren't a troll, you are not thinking straight at all. Your brother is right and I don't care about the circumstances. If you do not speak any Portuguese and she does not speak any English, then you really should spend your money on an English course for her before anything else. Or buy a Portuguese program. Then GET TO KNOW this woman. You don't even know her if you're speaking through an electronic translator, and that's the truth.

Timeline

Dude... take your time. This is a HUGE undertaking and not for the faint of heart. I know everything seems rosy in your relationship now, but I doubt that you are seeing clearly.

I went back and forth to Hong Kong whenever I could for over three years before I asked my wife to marry me and then we went through the k1 process. It took 1.5 years to get that visa and we had none of the problems particular to your case to deal with. I can only imagine how long it would have taken we did. She moved here this year and we were married in April, 5.5 years after we met. We are still waiting for green card and work permits that we filed for last May.

If after reading all of this you are still convinced she is the right one for you, then I strongly suggest you get a lawyer.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Take it easy and get to know her better. You cannot have a relationship based on an electronic translator! :blink:

Our AOS Journey

July 18, 07: AOS/EAD sent to Chicago

Aug 03, 07: Received Biometrics appt. letter

Aug 23, 07: Biometrics

Aug 30, 07: Transfer to CSC letter dated 8/27

Sept 19, 07: EAD Approval email

Sept 29, 07: EAD card Received

Oct 09, 07: AOS Approved

Oct 13, 07: Green Card in hand

Timeline

I'm trying my best not to say that she's after your money or a green card, but your story is full of red flags.

One of my mother's best friends was a prostitute until she got married. She was a great wife and an excellent mother. One of the finest ladies I've ever met.

On the other hand, the other day I read a study made by a couple of anthropologists on prostitutes in Rio. Many of them set the goal of "scoring" a foreign husband.

I'm not saying that this is what your girlfriend is trying to do, but please be careful.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I have to ask you, aren't you confusing sex with love?

As others have said, get to know her better, try to learn portuguese, ask her to take an english course. Translation devices are helpful if you have some knowledge of the language, otherwise it can be very misleading.

If you two decide to go through with the K1, be true from the start. If your brother decides to inform the consulate about her job, they'll be already aware of it and it might minimize the damage.

Will you have problems? Yes, a lot, and not only when going through the immigration process.

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Timeline

I regret that some have questioned my motives on this board. My situation is very real and I appreciate those who have provided me with serious responses. It's true that my situation is unique, which is why I am seeking to find answers that I don't think I could find elsewhere.

I understand that our relationship could be viewed as being based on sex, but it has been several months since we were last together and yet we continue to feel more affection for each other than ever even though there has been no sex during all these months. I would be interested in reading the anthropology study if you could tell me where I could find it. She has never asked me for money (and I never sent any) or suggested we get married, I'm the one who brought it up since I can't stand being apart from her. She has even suggested that I move to Brazil but this is not possible because of my work. Anyway I am getting off-track. What I really wanted to know was the implications my situation will have in the K1-visa process.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please caution and take some sound proof advice...I mean under your circumstances and not to be the one to judge...what is the big rush...and let's say you really like her and she really likes you...back on not speaking english and her profession...do you want to risk filing the papers now...and get denied...because of those 2 challenges...or will you want to take the time to work on the language of both parties together...and maybe her find a basic job or school so even in 6 months or so you start filing...you can build your time line on at least trying...to convert and make changes, by the time you go to your interview they would appreciate that...

The way it looks now it might slap you in the face...is she working now...are you sure that she is no longer a prostitute and I hope that's not under the circumstances you met her...and make sure she takes some ob/gyn testing before putting yourself out there...

I recommend that for any couple...don't just wait on USCIS to tell you to get a medical review for foreign fiance...both parties should have it done once they know they want to continue to see each other...because I have seen it before where the foreign fiance might be A+++++ Health, but the US Citizen might not be and you won't know until it's too late...

Edited by Nkybaby

OUR JOURNEY!!!

JUNE-2006 Introduced thru a family member via phone

AUG- 2006 Went to the UK to visit for 4 days, ENDED UP STAYING FOR 8 DAYS!!!

**TALK ON THE PHONE EVERYDAY...FEELINGS ARE STRONG

OCT- 2006 Went to UK for visit/4 days

**PROPOSED

11-27-06 I-129F mailed to Vermont

11-29-06 Receipt of NOA1 (received in mail on Dec 4)

12-08-06 Touched

MID-JAN-2007 Will be going soon to UK for visit/1 week

JAN-10-2007 EMAIL OF APPROVAL FOR NOA2 (Received email 8 times in a row!!!!!)

01-11-07 "TOUCHED"

JAN-23-07 BACK FROM UK-- ENJOYED THE 6 DAYS THERE...

JAN-18-07 RECEIVED LETTER FROM NVC (National Visa Center)

1 WEEK PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO THE APPROPRIATE VISA ISSUING POST (LONDON) WHERE INTERVIEW WILL TAKE PLACE....

JAN 24-07 JUST FOUND OUT OVER THE PHONE THAT NVC SENT PETITION TO LONDON ON 1/12/07 & US EMBASSY IN LONDON HAS HAD THE FILE SINCE JAN 17TH 2007

JAN-26-07 HONEY JUST CALLED ME...GOT PACKET 3.... WOW!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.