lenster

Questions about K1 for Brazilian fiancee

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just noticed also that you said she had mandatory testing for aids. Would the authorities have some type of access to this information? Could they question why she had so many tests for HIV or would she had to have put her profession down to get the tests?

Also, what would she put down for employment if she did this for a year in leu of this? Was she going to school also?

Just wondering and trying to look at from all angles.

Good luck whatever you decide and hope you are making the right decision - again, BE CAREFUL.

I'm not sure. I would imagine that this personal health information would not be disclosed to the authorities, but then this is Brazil, not the US where people have privacy rights so I don't know. But this raises another question. How closely do the consulate officials work with the local (or Brazilian) authorities. Is there really efficient information sharing between the two?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm not sure. I would imagine that this personal health information would not be disclosed to the authorities, but then this is Brazil, not the US where people have privacy rights so I don't know. But this raises another question. How closely do the consulate officials work with the local (or Brazilian) authorities. Is there really efficient information sharing between the two?

Obviously in the event she is positive then that will show up at medical exam as well..... You certainly have weaved yourself a tangled web.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just noticed also that you said she had mandatory testing for aids. Would the authorities have some type of access to this information? Could they question why she had so many tests for HIV or would she had to have put her profession down to get the tests?

Also, what would she put down for employment if she did this for a year in leu of this? Was she going to school also?

Good luck whatever you decide and hope you are making the right decision - again, BE CAREFUL.

From what I understand Brazilian medical privacy rights are a lot stricter in protecting the patient than U.S. laws. There are a lot fewer situations where they can be disclosed.

*eta that statement was rather negative about Brazil ("but this is Brazil, not the U.S. where people have privacy rights"). You should really take another trip down there so you can see that there are a lot of great things the country has on the U.S.

Edited by Alex+R

Timeline

From what I understand Brazilian medical privacy rights are a lot stricter in protecting the patient than U.S. laws. There are a lot fewer situations where they can be disclosed.

*eta that statement was rather negative about Brazil ("but this is Brazil, not the U.S. where people have privacy rights"). You should really take another trip down there so you can see that there are a lot of great things the country has on the U.S.

Sorry, I should have chosen my words more carefully. What I meant to say is that I know that in the US people have privacy rights. Brazil is a different country so I don't know if there are privacy rights like in the US. I just meant to point out that I'm dealing with a country that does not necessarily have the same laws as those I'm used to in this country. I agree that Brazil has a lot of great things and I keep learning of more from my girlfriend (and now from you as well).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Aside from the prostitution which is a huge problem with immigration (makes her ineligible) as others have pointed out, how would you both explain having a bona fide relationship if neither of you speak the same language?

Telling the consular officer that you use a electronic translator just isn't going to fly...

And since she didn't charge you, you don't even have a receipt for "services rendered" when you met her on the job!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
And since she didn't charge you, you don't even have a receipt for "services rendered" when you met her on the job!

No offense to the OP's situation, but that is funny..... :lol:

YMMV

Timeline

No offense to the OP's situation, but that is funny..... :lol:

No offense here either, but I'd like to see the OP's answer to Question 18 on the I-129F..... :lol:

"I went to a whorehouse in Rio and met my fiancee working there. After a few visits to her there we started to fall in love ..." ???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok, you have a problem here. We don't condone lying on the forms, we won't tell you to lie on the forms, that being said, yes, she will have to answer that question about being a prostitute and yes, it will be a problem.

I wouldn't be worried about the process right now but more about knowing who your girl really is. From what you said you met her on the job, you don't speak the same language ... you know what, I've given all the advice I could without being rude.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
Ok, you have a problem here. We don't condone lying on the forms, we won't tell you to lie on the forms, that being said, yes, she will have to answer that question about being a prostitute and yes, it will be a problem.

I wouldn't be worried about the process right now but more about knowing who your girl really is. From what you said you met her on the job, you don't speak the same language ... you know what, I've given all the advice I could without being rude.

But think of the brighter side. If they need a little extra money she could easily do a little part-time work ...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

But think of the brighter side. If they need a little extra money she could easily do a little part-time work ...

Awww poor OP.

Timeline
Don't worry, I'm thick-skinned and have heard much worse from my brother.

Maybe a little thick-headed too? :)

But seriously though, I can't imagine why anyone would marry a hooker, but I guess that's just me. What do I know anyway? :huh:

Timeline

CharlieBrown, you're getting out of line. The fact that she is/was a prostitute is the OP's problem and choice, and we're not here to judge that at all. All my opinions are based on the fact he's known her for too little time to be taking such a big step, and letting him know he'll have a hard time with the consulate if they don't even speak the same language.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

Hey Lenster,

Im not here to judge either or make wisecracks. To me it is just sad that someone has forever what reason has to sell their body to make ends meat. Sometimes it is a product of poverty - and sometimes not. Mary Magdaline was also in the oldest profession.

You have a serious problem and I can imagine the pain that you are going through. Just remember that no matter how much you love her. Love will not be the only thing that will get you through this.

IMO, you first (after your HIV test) need to see if she is for real and spend some time with her, her fam, and friends. If it is for real then you are ready to really tackle the problems that lie ahead. And Brother, you do have some serious problems that I think (i hate IL's) only a immigration lawyer can work out for you.

Good luck

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Timeline

First I wanted to point out how amusing it is that I was accused of being a troll when you look at some of the juvenile messages others have posted on this thread.

My original reason for this starting this thread was to get some answers for the K1 visa, not to discuss why I'm in love with a former prostitute. But I didn't mind discussing it since her profession is relevant.

I'm not trying to be stubborn and I do plan to return to Brazil and meet her family. I can't go there for long or very often because of my work. I'll try to learn portuguese but my language skills have never been good. I took french for 3 years and can barely say bonjour. I spoke with her about taking english classes and she is going to start to do that. The reason I'm in a rush is because I think the K1 visa is the only way we'll be able to spend a lot of time together. She can't come here because a tourist visa is impossible, I can't go there that much because of my work. But under the circumstances we do our best to get to know each other including communicating every day (using babelfish, which is actually pretty good, check it out for yourself).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.