Danno

STUDENTS TRY TO BAN MICHELLE OBAMA FROM SPEAKING AT THEIR SCHOOL

54 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
STUDENTS TRY TO BAN MICHELLE OBAMA FROM SPEAKING AT THEIR SCHOOL

Screen-Shot-2014-04-20-at-7.05.58-PM.png

Graduating high school is arguably the most important day of a young man’s or woman’s life. As Michelle Obama has been recently announced to address several Kansas’ schools during a graduation ceremony, it appears as though not everyone is in favor of the FLOTUS’ appearance.

Although many have expressed their utter joy that the notorious woman is coming to speak in honor of the Brown v. Board of Education’s anniversary, many parents have expressed concerns that her anticipated arrival is overshadowing their children’s accomplishments.

2014.04.20-mrconservative-5353cfcc4bc1b-

Michelle Obama is scheduled to address five area high schools at an 8,000-seat arena for the 60thanniversary of the case that banned school segregation. Despite the overall feeling being that of excitement, the initial feelings have died down – so much, in fact, that students and parents have drawn up a petition to ban the woman from speaking at the event.

Tina Hernandez, mother of one of the graduating students, expressed her concerns in more detail by noting, “I’m a single mother who has raised him for 18 years by myself. I’ve told him education is the only way out. This is one of the biggest days of their lives. They’ve taken the glory and shine from the children and put on Mrs. Obama. She doesn’t know our kids.”

Hernandez was just one of the many parents sharing the same sentiment during Thursday’s Topeka school board meeting. Topeka school district spokesman Ron Harbaugh tried his best to relay to parents that the logistics are still being worked out on the matter.

Expressing that they still have yet to distinguish ticket limits for families, he further noted that once the plans had been solidified, “We will have a clearer picture of what’s going on.”

Harbaugh even went so far as to suggest that even though they will be placing a priority on the families of graduates, they are in the process of setting up an overflow room where the event will be broadcast live. This solution however, isn’t making parents any happier.

After all, who wants to watch their children, or family member, graduate on a TV screen?

The rumors of limited seating for families on account of the First Lady’s visit has prompted 18-year-old student Taylor Gifford, to go so far as to form a petition asking that the First Lady doesn’t speak at their event. As of right now, that petition holds just over 1,200 signatures.

Gifford noted on account of her petition, “I really would like it to have a peaceful solution, but there is so much misinformation going on.” She states that although she was initially, “freaking out,” the rumors circulating about family not being able to attend has caused room for serious concern.

“People think it’s a great opportunity, but it’s the graduates’ time. They are getting that diploma that they worked so hard for. Families are feeling that they are being cheated out of the loved ones special day,” Gifford concluded.

Other seniors, such as Abbey Rubottom, echoed Gifford’s concerns by saying, “No disrespect for the First Lady, and it’s amazing that she wants to come speak, I just think it doesn’t belong at graduation.” Students do however feel that the First Lady’s appearance is warranted in spirit of the Brown v. Board of Education’s 60th anniversary.

2014.04.20-mrconservative-5353cfce7d950-

Despite not wanting her at their graduation ceremony, they convey that perhaps the town should hold a separate event in which she could speak at the, “historic site that commemorates the decision,” at another time.

What do you guys think – do parents express a legitimate concern? How would you feel if you were one of the parents of a graduating student? Let us know in a comment below.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

... many parents have expressed concerns that her anticipated arrival is overshadowing their children’s accomplishments.

It is expected that a commencement speaker will be someone more accomplished than the students in the graduating body.

Do these parents prefer to see an utter moron, who no one will pay any attention to, deliver the commencement speech instead?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

"the notorious woman"? :rofl:

This is why right-wing media has turned into such a joke.

In all fairness, this is the sort of ####### you would expect to find at Mr Conservative.. Hardly media or relevant... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It is expected that a commencement speaker will be someone more accomplished than the students in the graduating body.

Do these parents prefer to see an utter moron, who no one will pay any attention to, deliver the commencement speech instead?

They probably prefer someone less accomplished than their kids, such as Palin or her ilk...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Sorry, I'm busy that day.

Filed: Timeline

The comments section rocks. A bit of insulting and off-color comments...

197653_206571006026276_1684840_t.jpg Michael Zauner · Top Commenter

That pig will make it all about her and race and politics

Reply ·

· 32 · Yesterday at 5:16am

• 1939807_10152240110304547_1528493862_t.j

Walter Hefty Jr · Top Commenter · University of Phoenix

Please don't insult pigs by ascribing the hideousness of the First Wookiee to them.

At least pigs give us bacon, ham & pork. The Wookiee is too busy stealing our bacon, ham & pork for her own fat #### self.

and some tin-foil stuff for good measure

• 582516_10152397803350608_1409337912_s.jp

Matt Wilson · Top Commenter · North Metro Technical College

Don't protest outside though, Obama signed the secret bill allowing for Felony time for protesting in the presence of Secret Service. People will be rounded up like Bundy's cattle.

So yes, conservatives are a joke. A sad joke at that but a joke all the same.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Timeline

The comments section rocks. A bit of insulting and off-color comments...

• Walter Hefty Jr · Top Commenter · University of Phoenix

Please don't insult pigs by ascribing the hideousness of the First Wookiee to them.

At least pigs give us bacon, ham & pork. The Wookiee is too busy stealing our bacon, ham & pork for her own fat #### self.

• Matt Wilson · Top Commenter · North Metro Technical College

Don't protest outside though, Obama signed the secret bill allowing for Felony time for protesting in the presence of Secret Service. People will be rounded up like Bundy's cattle.

So yes, conservatives are a joke. A sad joke at that but a joke all the same.

University of Phoenix and North Metro Technical College... Not exactly your Ivy League Varsity.... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Is this presentation of the news story really "media" or a guy reinterpreting news stories from the corner of his bedroom?

Since so many are focused on the random site reporting the story... rather than the crux of the story, let me apologize and try again.

If the AP is not a ligit news reporting source, let me know what is, and I will find that version of the same facts.

-------------------------------

Kansas speech by Michelle Obama draws complaints

TOPEKA, Kan. — If expanding the guest list to include Michelle Obama at graduation for high school students in the Kansas capital city means fewer seats for friends and family, some students and their parents would prefer the first lady not attend.

A furor over what the Topeka school district considers an honor has erupted after plans were announced for Obama to address a combined graduation ceremony for five area high schools next month an 8,000-seat arena. For some, it was the prospect of a tight limit on the number of seats allotted to each graduate. For others, it was the notion that Obama's speech, tied to the 60th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Brown v. Board of Education outlawing segregation in schools, would overshadow the student's big day.

"I'm a single mother who has raised him for 18 years by myself," said Tina Hernandez, parent of Topeka High School senior Dauby Knight. "I've told him education is the only way out. This is one of the biggest days of their lives. They've taken the glory and shine from the children and put on Mrs. Obama. She doesn't know our kids."

(WATCH: Michelle Obama's commencement address at Bowie State)

Hernandez was among the parents and students who spoke Thursday at a school board meeting and urged district officials to reconsider their decision to invite Obama. Ron Harbaugh, spokesman for the Topeka school district, said Friday discussions were under way to work out the logistics and planning for the event, including how many tickets each family would be allotted.

"We will have a clearer picture of what's going on," Harbaugh said.

Harbaugh said officials asked the president or first lady to speak at graduation as a tie-in with the anniversary of the Brown decision, which outlawed school segregation. The district plans to place a priority on seating students and their families, and could broadcast the event to an overflow room at a hotel adjacent to the graduation arena for those unable to find a seat inside.

That's not good enough for Taylor Gifford, 18, who started an online petition Thursday evening to urge the district to reconsider its

plans. She and the more than 1,200 people who had signed it expressed concern that Obama's visit would limit the seating options for family and friends.

"I really would like it to have a peaceful solution, but there is so much misinformation going on," Gifford said.

Gifford said her initial reaction to the news was excitement, saying she was "freaking out" about the prospect of the first lady speaking at graduation. When rumors of limited tickets surfaced, Gifford felt like the focus was being shifted from the students to Obama.

"People think it's a great opportunity, but it's the graduates' time. They are getting that diploma that they worked so hard for," Gifford said. "Families are feeling that they are being cheated out of the loved ones special day."

Abbey Rubottom, 18, a Topeka High senior, described herself as a "die-hard Democrat" but doesn't like the idea of Obama sharing the stage with graduates.

"No disrespect for the first lady, and it's amazing that she wants to come speak, I just think it doesn't belong at graduation," Rubottom said.

Rubottom suggested separate ceremonies with Obama speaking at one and the address being replayed at the other.

Some people have said bringing in the first lady politicizes the graduation. Others have suggested that if she wants to mark the Brown anniversary, she could just visit the historic site that commemorates the decision, which is just few blocks from the graduation venue.

The Brown site is housed in a former all-black school where the lead plaintiff's daughter and another plaintiff's child in the desegregation case were students. It tells the story of the 1954 Supreme Court decision.

Messages seeking comment from the first lady's office in Washington were not immediately returned Friday.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/michelle-obama-kansas-graduation-speech-105840.html#ixzz2zeAlQ0mO

William Penn

Timeline

Is this presentation of the news story really "media" or a guy reinterpreting news stories from the corner of his bedroom?

You can answer that question yourself. Check the sources. Compare both texts. Stay close to the crux of the matter.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I think the reason the students were concerned was the fact that they were restricted to the number of family members they were allowed to invite after the Flotus decided to use their graduation to politic. I think the students and schools were told that the Flotus and her entourage would require 1000 seats, so I think that is why the students are upset.

Edited by Robby999

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Timeline

I think the reason the students were concerned was the fact that they were restricted to the number of family members they were allowed to invite after the Flotus decided to use their graduation to politic. I think the students and schools were told that the Flotus and her entourage would require 1000 seats, so I think that is why the students are upset.

Thats the only part that makes sense.

William Penn