MacUK

Scottish independence

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Of course they can pick. If they gain independence, then they get to make their own choices and do whatever the heck they want. They will also endure to consequences of their actions.

Your politicians decided to join the EU but keep the pound, what difference is there if Scotland does it?

:thumbs:

That is pretty much the purpose of independence...

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Of course they can pick. If they gain independence, then they get to make their own choices and do whatever the heck they want. They will also endure to consequences of their actions.

Your politicians decided to join the EU but keep the pound, what difference is there if Scotland does it?

Because as one of the founding members of the EU Britain was able to keep the pound, same as all the other founding countries who could have kept their own currency.

As I understand it, one of the conditions for countries applying to join the EU is adopting the Euro.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Because as one of the founding members of the EU Britain was able to keep the pound, same as all the other founding countries who could have kept their own currency.

As I understand it, one of the conditions for countries applying to join the EU is adopting the Euro.

Well, then they have to make their choice. Or, try to get the EU to change their rules to accommodate their wishes. Maybe they could argue they were a founding member as well, in a way. Probably would fail, but that's up to them.

Whatever they do, I just don't get why people think it's funny. Kind of a weird vibe in this thread.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Well, then they have to make their choice. Or, try to get the EU to change their rules to accommodate their wishes. Maybe they could argue they were a founding member as well, in a way. Probably would fail, but that's up to them.

Whatever they do, I just don't get why people think it's funny. Kind of a weird vibe in this thread.

I agree Harpa. I don't understand why people think it's funny or strange. Like I've said before there are plenty of other countries that have gained their independence so why is the fact that Scotland is considering that any different?

There will be problems but they will be problems for the Scottish people themselves to sort out.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

They can't keep the pound, if they declare independence (which they have every right to do so) then the pound is no longer their currency. Polls have revealed that the rest of the UK general public do not wish Scotland to have the pound (because they won't be underwriting it and having any of the liabilities, just the benefits) if they declare independence. The three main political parties in the UK agree with this view. They also just can't waltz straight into the Euro. Not sure why that's a difficult concept, although it seems to be for the SNP also.

Maybe they could use monopoly money?

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

They can't keep the pound, if they declare independence (which they have every right to do so) then the pound is no longer their currency. Polls have revealed that the rest of the UK general public do not wish Scotland to have the pound (because they won't be underwriting it and having any of the liabilities, just the benefits) if they declare independence. The three main political parties in the UK agree with this view. They also just can't waltz straight into the Euro. Not sure why that's a difficult concept, although it seems to be for the SNP also.

They not only can use the GBP if they become independent, as it would make sense for the exchequer of both countries. Scotland would maintain its economical ties to the rest of the UK, and the Bank of England would not need to transfer a large amount of its ballast to Scottish coffers. Also, for the rest of the UK, it would mean trading with Scotland in one single currency, lest you want to run the risk of having a Scottish Pound conversion when buying Scottish oil from the North Sea...

Panama and Ecuador are two countries that use the US Dollar as their currency, despite not being its underwriters.

I do not believe for a moment Scotland will gain its independence, but even if it did, there is a case where all countries can benefit from.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

:rofl: At get the EU to change their rules. If Scotland joining the EU benefits French farmers then maybe lol. I don't know how much you know about the EU but EU members are not keen on encouraging Scotland as many of them have independence movements in their own countries they don't want to make it easy for (Spain- Catalonia, Basque, France- Corsica, Belgium, et al).

For the record I don't find Scottish independence funny, I said that I find it funny that the SNP seem to think they can do what they want and they are going to be running a country.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

I don't have a dog in this fight, but just let me ask.

Is Scotland currently causing the pound to be more weak or strong? Are they doing so bad economically that they drag it down, or does their populace, just by sheer numbers and their circulation, make it stronger?

If they gain independence, it would make more sense to go realpolitik and keep things as close to status quo as possible for the remaining UK, I would think. Maybe they would have a scottish pound that is backed by or otherwise tied to pounds sterling. Different in name, but basically the same. Someone is going to want to be involved in their currency and I would think the remaining UK would be the first in line, to not suffer from Scottish defection (though I am sure the nationalists want to believe that they would only get better if Scotland left).

Maybe the Uk would agree to let them keep using GBP, in the best interests of both nations. I am sure there is a precedent for this sort of thing.

Scotland currently has pounds, presumably backed by UK banks, so if they go independent, do you think the bank will just declare that money in the hands of Scots is no good anymore?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Have the scottish people been told categorically that they can't keep the pound? No, like everything else it will all be part of discussions that will need to take place in the event that Scotland gains independence. As has already been mentioned in this thread there are countries other than the USA that use the US dollar.

As for your comment about Monopoly money I find it childish, it adds nothing to the discussion and appears to be intended purely to imply insult.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It's not as if they'd be leaving the British Commonwealth... I'm sure that it would be treated just the same as it is now for all practical purposes. But how many hundred years have they been arguing about independence? It's not likely to happen tomorrow...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.