Gypsyangel

Pets: Do you have to be the owner to transport a pet into the U.S.?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question.

I have German friends who are transporting a rescued dog from Germany to the Newark airport. The new owners are picking up the dog at the airport. The dog has all its papers (rabies), so it's good to go.

The question is ... will it be a problem that they are not the owners as they go through Customs as just the transporters? The rescue operation told them to tell Customs that they're taking their own dog on vacation with them, but they do not want to lie.

I'm Canadian/American (and live in NJ), that's why I'm asking this forum, which has been really helpful in the past. I've already tried googling it, and I've tried asking the Humane Society, but they haven't been any help.

I've suggested that they get a letter from the new owners, but other than that I don't know what else to tell them.

Any thoughts? Or information? Or links?

Thanks!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Granted I've never crossed from Germany to the US but whenever my mutt and I have made the cross, actual ownership has never come up. All they really care about (and sometimes they don't even care about that but they may actually check more for air crossings) is that they're up to date on shots.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Timeline

Thanks for your response pro_star. That's my sense too. When I brought my cat over, they couldn't have cared less. Mind you that was by car.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline

I think the only time it could be an issue is if they got it from a breeder and are trying to minimize the cost of the dog and don't tell the person bringing it in. Like if they bought the dog for 1,000 and send your friend to pick it up and they get papers saying the dog was 300$. CBP do look up going rates of pets.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If it's a rescue and documented as such though, it's obvious the mutts of questionable breeding are worth less (speaking purely money wise here) than their akc/Crufts competitors.

(Before anyone pounces on me for being pro purebred, my pup is a purebred Albertan lol. Her litter was surrendered - and there were a couple different sires in the single litter - didn't even know that was possible!)

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Considering that people buy animals across the border and handlers (not owners) take dogs to shows in other countries, I can't see this being a big issue. But call the CBP and ask exactly what's needed for them to bring the dog into the country for the owners.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Just current ven paperwork with shots is required. My dogs have been in and out of the USA multiple times and without me. They pretty much don't seem to care at least where we were crossing into Ontario.

This link may help you:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/55/~/pets---dogs,-rabies-vaccines

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Coming from another country (other than Canada) there are requirements. We are coming from Nicaragua and coming back to the USA for a few months, and our 2 dogs need more than just rabies! Requires a Vet health inspection and various forms, such as Form 7001.

Yes traveling between Canada and the USA, they just require Rabies---did it with my dog back in 2011. But since this dog is originating from outside Canada, might be a different story. I sure would not be claiming it as mine--since it is coming from a different country. But thats just me and I'm a huge animal lover

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I would imagine you would just need all the proper vaccinations. Lots of breeders get breeding dogs from over in Europe and shipped into the US or Canada.

I also don't think it makes any difference if you are the 'owner' or not, I think they mainly just care about the vaccinations. My parents will be driving my boy down here eventually & I never thought or worried about it mattering if they are the owners.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

We brought my MIL's dog over the border several times, no questions asked.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This dog is NOT originating from Canada--totally different procedure.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.