AgnettaHoo

Change name on Social Security Card after GC

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I am feeling very confused and sad right now. When I got married, I didn't state in my marriage certificate that I want to change my last name to his. I do plan to change it after though.

Anyways, I went to my Green Card interview and the nice lady who interviewed me offered to change my last name into his on my Green Card. Also, she said that I do not need to go through court order to change my name on the SSN card.

I said yes and when it arrived in the mail, I have my last name changed.

Then, I went to SSA and requested them to change my name on my Social Security card. And they said I can't. Because in my marriage certificate it doesn't say that I took my husband's last name.

I will need to go through court order to have it changed. And it cost me a fortune...

What should I do now? Is the officer in SSA wrong? Or I was wrong?

Thank you!

That's definitely a pain that they told you you needed a court order. Most SSA offices just want a certified marriage certificate as proof: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/1995/How-do-I-change-the-name-on-a-Social-Security-card

I did see on California's page that a court order is not uncommon for the DMV and SSA to require a court order. Maybe try calling a different SS office? http://www.courts.ca.gov/1051.htm

Good luck!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

We went through the same process, my initial SSC was issued for my maiden name, on our marriage certificate there isn't stipulated the name change after marriage as well, but when I presented my marriage certificate to SS Office, they did change my last name with no problem (I didn't even have GC then yet). We are in WV. I guess each state has its own laws on this issue. Did you present your GC with your changed name to the officer?

Timeline

That's definitely a pain that they told you you needed a court order. Most SSA offices just want a certified marriage certificate as proof: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/1995/How-do-I-change-the-name-on-a-Social-Security-card

I did see on California's page that a court order is not uncommon for the DMV and SSA to require a court order. Maybe try calling a different SS office? http://www.courts.ca.gov/1051.htm

Good luck!

Maybe I will try to go there again and show my mariage certificate, and hope they just approve my request. Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I am feeling very confused and sad right now. When I got married, I didn't state in my marriage certificate that I want to change my last name to his. I do plan to change it after though.

Anyways, I went to my Green Card interview and the nice lady who interviewed me offered to change my last name into his on my Green Card. Also, she said that I do not need to go through court order to change my name on the SSN card.

Then, I went to SSA and requested them to change my name on my Social Security card. And they said I can't. Because in my marriage certificate it doesn't say that I took my husband's last name.

I will need to go through court order to have it changed. And it cost me a fortune...

Thank you!

It just flat out amazes me how we hire people in the Federal Government and then either do not train them properly or let them get away with incorrect procedures. There was a member here on VJ called "I'M GONE" who used to work for the SSA. Here is a link to information about name change. You are in a different position then most. Most have the Marriage Certificate and the GC is still in the maiden name and the SSA worker usually states that because the name is not on an official USCIS document--i.e. the GC--they cannot change the name with just the Marriage Certificate.

FYI- our Marriage License and Certificate (both the same document) have my wife's last name has her maiden name and her place of residence here in the US and not in Kazakhstan and there is not place to state you are taking the husband's lastname. You do that by going into the SSA office and presenting your SSC with the Marriage License and state you want to change the lastname to your husband's and showing the GC is in your husband's name should be a plus. Go back and if you have problems ask for a supervisor. Before returning, e-mail the main SSA office and tell them of your experience with as much detail as possible and see what they say--they may give you and e-mail to help educate that SSA employee.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Does your state actually have a place on the license where you would list the name you want to use after you are married? Some states have that and you just list what you want your name to be after marriage. Some states do not, and only the maiden name shows on the license/certificate. You do not need a court order to change the name. The marriage certificate still acts as a legal name change document in those states. Go to a another SSA or ask for a supervisor.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to Social Security Numbers - topic about SSN ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi everybody,

Thank you!

Hi,

The SSA agent you got is an IDIOT!!!!!

From the SSA's own website: https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=34019&task=knowledge&questionID=1995

(I highlighted the "or" because you only need one of those 4 documents. It's not "and.")

How do I change the name on a Social Security card?

To change your name on your Social Security card:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security card.

Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Important Information

We will mail your card as soon as we have verified your documents. You should receive your card within 10 business days from the date on your receipt. The new card will have the same number as your previous card, but will show your new name.

------

CA law on allowing a person to take his/her spouse's last name after a marriage; http://www.ehow.com/how_6666939_change-after-getting-married-california.html

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Everyone who have replied tp my question, I thank you all. You gave me a peace of mind and really make me feel relieved that at least I have hopes and that I should try one more time.

On Monday I will go back to the SS Office and try one more time. If they still give me a hard time and I will definitely ask for a supervisor.

I really do not want to spend hundreds of dollars just because I am misinformed, you know. We have done each and every step of this process very carefully. So, it will not make us happy at all to be in this position.

Anyways.. thank you again and I will go and try one more time.

Timeline

We went through the same process, my initial SSC was issued for my maiden name, on our marriage certificate there isn't stipulated the name change after marriage as well, but when I presented my marriage certificate to SS Office, they did change my last name with no problem (I didn't even have GC then yet). We are in WV. I guess each state has its own laws on this issue. Did you present your GC with your changed name to the officer?

I did show her the Green Card but she just denied my request.

Timeline

Does your state actually have a place on the license where you would list the name you want to use after you are married? Some states have that and you just list what you want your name to be after marriage. Some states do not, and only the maiden name shows on the license/certificate. You do not need a court order to change the name. The marriage certificate still acts as a legal name change document in those states. Go to a another SSA or ask for a supervisor.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to Social Security Numbers - topic about SSN ~

It is in the tiny box just above the signature. But I was under impression that it should be fine for me to change my SSN card with my new name for no trouble at all. Even the lady at the USCIS confirmed me on that knowledge. That is why I was so frustrated. I even went to the clerk office and they sent me to Civil Court. Then after I got to the court, they had no idea what I was talking about. It was just.. I don't even... Sigh....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.