telso

Advice for expediting AP using criteria 4, "Nonprofit status...in furtherance of...interests of the US"

6 posts in this topic

I filed AOS, EAD and AP together last month (NOA1 March 20) from a K-1 visa, and did a walk-in biometrics appointment last week. Based on estimates I gather my AP will be adjudicated in mid-to-late May. I was going to miss a wedding by a week, but I gather that's not usually accepted as a valid reason to speed up the process.

Today I was given the chance to apply to be an international observer of the Ukrainian presidential election, schedule for May 25. I did this for the last parliamentary elections with the same organization (accepted with 6 times the number of applicants as positions), so I have a good chance to get it this time, but they need me to guarantee I can be available for the whole period (May 19-29), and I need to tell them this by this Monday.

In the criteria for expedited approval, #4 is "Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States", but I haven't found any cases of people who have applied using that criterion. (If you'd suggest another, or multiple criteria, that would be helpful!) Though I'm applying through one organization, I could represent it or another: one is a Canadian non-profit NGO, the other is the OSCE, which the US is a member of (and should be sending observers to, though I'd be submitted from the Canadian contingent if I apply this way). Clearly the US Government has an interest in democratic elections in a destabilized country, especially as it'll be sending its own observers there.

The easiest for me is to call USCIS tomorrow morning, though I can also make an INFOPASS appointment for Friday when I'll be visiting near Norfolk, my local CIS (that would be super convenient, though less than a phonecall). (Also, what INFOPASS criteria should I select among the four they give?) What are your suggestions for what evidence I could bring? I can bring the offer to apply, which requires a time commitment before applying, but it's not even an offer to serve (technically not employment; it's volunteer, with a per diem).

Also, is it worth mentioning the wedding as an aside? I put it in the AP I originally sent in, and it would be great to have it in time for it, but it's less of a concern for them and me.

Lastly, I don't have to send proof to the NGO that I have that time available by this Monday, but if I say I do and then I don't they won't likely be happy if I want to work with them again.

Thanks in advance for any advice. (And yes, I know it's all up to the discretion of USCIS.) I'll report back with results.

Edited by telso

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let them work out which category it fits in, I would have thought you would be good to go.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

OP,

My wife and I submitted out I-485, I-765, I-131 combo 9 Jan 14 w/NOA 11 Jan. I applied for expedited processing due to my deployment, but I can say I'm 99.9% sure nothing was expedited. I did however, generate a support document specifically explaining the reason for the I-131 was in support of my deployment, so she could travel back to Russia to be w/friends and family during this difficult time (she arrived 4 Dec 13 and I left 21 Feb...no time for make friends, learn anything, etc).

We got approval around 21 Mar and received the combo card like 28 Mar or so....not even two months, and this was w/a location change because my wife went from our home in Florida to my mom's in VT when I left!

The unknown is, assuming the apps were not expedited, were they made a little quicker because of my deployment? I'll tell you what, I think not...and I'm, not saying it should have been or I'm special. My wife was turned away from her AOS interview yesterdaty BECAUSE I was deployed...so obviously there's no special attention to that. Pretty much the opposite.

Anyway submit a quality package, leave no stone unturned and, based on my experience, it could come thru real fast.

Good luck!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

BTW, how the EAD/Travel apps seems to work: they will sit on the USCIC website in initial status for weeks upon weeks....they look like NOTHING is happening w/them. Then all of a sudden, they go straight to approval and you get your card. Like it goes from night to day in one instant w/no in between.

I'm just speaking from our case, but that seems to be the norm though from what we've researched.

• 1 month later...

An update for those interested:

I filed for expedited approval for AP on April 10 (Thursday) by phone. He read out the reasons and asked which I qualified for and I said "Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States." The agent asked me to describe the justification and wrote it all down, and repeated read it back to me to make sure it was accurate in my opinion, then sent it to the NBC. (At that point he said an InfoPass appointment wouldn't help, as they'd have to send it to the NBC anyway, and that had just been done.) He said I should expect a reply within 5 days, likely sooner, and if they needed supporting documents they would ask for them.

The next evening (Friday) I got an email asking me for evidence for my request to be faxed to them. The same evening I sent them the email inviting me to apply for the election observation mission, as well as a <1 page overview as to why I fit the criteria for expediting my request.

I heard nothing until Tuesday morning, when my request for AP was approved. Two days later I received a paper AP. Two days after that I received my EAD/AP combo card. I figure that they were already looking at my file and thought "Everything's in order, may as well approve the EAD now rather than have someone have to reread everything in a month." I should note that the agent on the phone asked if my biometrics had been submitted already, and when I said they had been a week ago, he said that was "good". I gather they're not necessary for AP, and possibly not for EAD, but that's what he said; who knows if it made a difference.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm leaving for Ukraine in 3 days, partially thanks to the VJ community. Cheers. (Oh, and don't forget to vote; people literally risk their lives to vote, so don't take your rights for granted. If there's anywhere that you'll find Americans who cherish their right to vote, it's VJ.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.