8 posts in this topic

Hi VJ's. Ian here in the US and I arrived last March 27,2014 as a k1. My question is what will we do? I know we have to get marry within 90 days, do we have to wait for any documents before we can get marry or just go to any city hall and bring my passport? Thank you very much for any advice and suggestions.

You can marry already.

All you need is your passport.

Or if you want to wait 14 after your arrive, and take a copy of you visa page, the I-94 and passport and go to ss ofice and get you ssn before get marry.

And then after that get marry.

I have red a lot of people that arrive with k1 that have problem for get ssn after marry.

Many k1 holders are told that they need to wait until get their gc for get ssn.

So many people get ssn before marry, and then get marry.

That is my plan I will get ssn first then I will get marry, and when ssn arrive I will come vback to ss office and I will change my name on my ss card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Marriage requirements vary State to State and even county to county, in the US. Best to check with your local bureau on what's needed. Some only require official picture identification(your passport would likely be okay), some require blood tests, some require birth certificates, divorce or death certificates of previous spouses, etc.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You first have to get a marriage license from the city hall then you can get married. You can either get married before or after having your SSN. Most people entering in a K1 visa had problems getting SSN in their married name. This is for a reason that if you are a girl and you take on the last name of the guy then there would be a difference in your name and the visa name which is in the system. Also it's because some SSA clerks know nothing about K1 SSN. :P Most people therefore would suggest that you wait for 2 weeks then apply for an SSN card in your maiden name (if you are a girl planning to take on your husband's name) before getting married. You can apply for a marriage license without SSN though so you can do that now. They would most likely look for your passport and visa upon application. After the marriage license application, which usually takes a day, then you can schedule when and where to get married. If in a courthouse or you would ask the judge to perform the ceremony elsewhere or even in a church, you have to call them and schedule.

In summary,

1. You need to apply for marriage license.

2. Apply SSN in your maiden name for a girl after at least 2 weeks of arrival in the US.

3. Get married.

4. Go back to SSA and have name changed if taking the name of husband.

5. Apply AOS.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Family based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS process, past K-1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Marriage licence and thats it when I got married. varies from state to state though, my fiancee got our licence with me being in the county.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi VJ's. Ian here in the US and I arrived last March 27,2014 as a k1. My question is what will we do? I know we have to get marry within 90 days, do we have to wait for any documents before we can get marry or just go to any city hall and bring my passport? Thank you very much for any advice and suggestions.

Nothing to wait for, run down to city hall, and bring your passport, get your marriage license. :thumbs:

Once married you will complete Adjustment of Status.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I had no problems getting my SSN after we got married, I didn't get it before the wedding because we got married 9 days after I got there & they say to wait 2 weeks. I did apply in my maiden name though because I had heard lots of people have problems trying to get it in their married name the first time. I will just change it after I get my EAD. Make sure you don't have to wait to get a marriage license. Here you get it when you apply, but I know some states you have to wait after applying.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.