jessruss

Travelling to the USA from Canada

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Hopefully I am posting in the correct forum.

I am a student from Canada and I am about to finish my diploma in April. My boyfriend lives in Oklahoma and we are currently applying for the K1 visa, just getting all the correct paperwork in order for the first step (I-134). Since I am almost finished school, I figured I could go stay with my SO for six months considering I don't plan on returning to school in the next semester.

My main concerns is that US customs officers will request proof of significant ties back to Canada, also to prove that I can be financially stable.

What I am thinking is that I can have my sister write a letter saying that all my furniture and misc clothing/items are in the house we are renting and my portion of the rent is being covered until I return. Also I am going to ask my boss from my current job if he can write a letter saying my job will be available for me when I come back.

Secondly, since I am a student, I have not been able to save up any significant savings to contribute to this visit, but my boyfriend said he has no problem paying for my stay the entire duration. So for that would I have to show copies of his current pay stubs and/or bank statements? Would that be applicable?

Thank you,

Jess

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My now husband came and stayed with me April (2013) through September (2013) and we didn't have any issues. Of course each case is different and depends on what the officers and customs have to say about your visit. Your best bet would be to make sure you don't babble or try to give more information than what is needed. Just be polite, answer their questions honestly, and hope for the best. I know that this probably isn't the answer your looking for exactly, but no one can tell you 100% what you can do to make it though POE (point of entry) into the US. I haven't personally had any issues for me or my spouse going back and forth though. Hope this helps at least a little.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

First of all, I'll say Go Oklahoma!

Then, I have to say that being Canadian will definitely help you out, but to get a B-2 visa you have to, above all, prove that you're returning to Canada. I don't know how you can do that if you don't plan on returning to school for a while and not having a steady job. Like the poster above said, you have to be honest in all your answers, and don't let the fact that 'getting a B-2 visa with a USC bf/gf in the picture makes it difficult' affect the way you project yourself at the interview...as easy as I make that sound.

Edited by Stressed Out

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

First of all, I'll say Go Oklahoma!

Then, I have to say that being Canadian will definitely help you out, but to get a B-2 visa you have to, above all, prove that you're returning to Canada. I don't know how you can do that if you don't plan on returning to school for a while and not having a steady job. Like the poster above said, you have to be honest in all your answers, and don't let the fact that 'getting a B-2 visa with a USC bf/gf in the picture makes it difficult' affect the way you project yourself at the interview...as easy as I make that sound.

What has a B2 Visa to do with this?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

What has a B2 Visa to do with this?

I found the topic under tourist visas and she said she wanted to visit for half a year, so I thought we were talking B-2. My bad if I was wrong.

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Canadians don't need a visa to visit for 180 days.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.