Vanitas

Nich-Nick is Missing in Action

67 posts in this topic

This is ridiculous, users like Nich Nick are a huge asset to this site and a big reason why this site is so useful. If the moderator's drive away the knowledgeable people who put so much of their own time into the site to help others then this site will go backwards fast :/

I don't want to diminish the loss of another really helpful member.

But it's been happening across the community for a long time. And somehow the membership just keeps growing.

It's not really the integrity of information that gets many people here. It's the long arm of the Google search engine. Post boosting by people playing games. More hits and more hits by people arguing in threads.

Sad really.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I don't want to diminish the loss of another really helpful member.

But it's been happening across the community for a long time. And somehow the membership just keeps growing.

It's not really the integrity of information that gets many people here. It's the long arm of the Google search engine. Post boosting by people playing games. More hits and more hits by people arguing in threads.

Sad really.

The integrity of the information may not be what gets people started here, but it's knowledgeable posters, especially those with the patience and perseverance to stay around a while, that keep people coming back, as they navigate their way through this process.

The subtitle in the banner at the top of the page reads "Your US Immigration Community". When we lose those posters willing to be an active part of helping the community, we run the risk of diminishing the usefulness of the site as a whole, as a wealth of experience from that member is lost.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

The integrity of the information may not be what gets people started here, but it's knowledgeable posters, especially those with the patience and perseverance to stay around a while, that keep people coming back, as they navigate their way through this process.

The subtitle in the banner at the top of the page reads "Your US Immigration Community". When we lose those posters willing to be an active part of helping the community, we run the risk of diminishing the usefulness of the site as a whole, as a wealth of experience from that member is lost.

I agree with you 100% percent in principal.

But someone else does eventually come along who helps. And those who have gone before are just forgotten about. I think it's partly the nature of message boards. The difference on here IMO is that Ewok really does not give a flying f#ck.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I agree with you 100% percent in principal.

But someone else does eventually come along who helps. And those who have gone before are just forgotten about. I think it's partly the nature of message boards. The difference on here IMO is that Ewok really does not give a flying f#ck.

The trouble I see is that fewer people are staying around to pass on their experience.

More and more, people are leaving the site once they're done, rather than hanging around and getting morosely depressed, hankering for the good old days, like some of us. :(

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

The trouble I see is that fewer people are staying around to pass on their experience.

More and more, people are leaving the site once they're done, rather than hanging around and getting morosely depressed, hankering for the good old days, like some of us. :(

Hahaha......

VJ was good to me. It helped me get Wes here. I did my part I think for a long while. But, well I don't really want to drag up why and how it all changed for me. But there was real hurt there for a long while. After a while it didn't matter anymore. I could see that it was more of a playground now. That bad behavior was encouraged and help not rewarded. New people come along and they get all wrapped up in it like I did. I watch then now and I think they are good souls. I hope they have good lives and wish good things for them. I also hope they'll not get into deep though. That they will realize they helped a lot of people, and that when their day is done it's been all good. You have to remember who you helped and why. You don't do it for the good of the site. You do it because it was in your character.

Then you just go on and do more good stuff elsewhere.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

She really helped me out a lot by replies to forums and personal messages, by calmly explaining the facts and telling me when I was being stupid. I really appreciated her contributions to this forum. Many forums are fairly trivial, but for the people on this forum we know that VJ is not trivial. For many of us VJ is a life-line to our loved ones. The official guidance can be so vague and opaque that somewhere like VJ for many people can mean the difference between being re-united successfully or not with the person/people that they love. I have been apart with Sophie (USC) for 2 years of our 4 years together, but now that I am 10 days away from entering the US to reunite with her I know my visa process would have been so much more painful, confusing and a strain on our long-distance relationship without the years of accumulated knowledge on VJ. Nich represents a great deal of that accumulated knowledge and if she really isn't coming back that the UK VJ forum is that much poorer without that knowledge.

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I'll certainly try to help out with questions I understand.

Edited by stevensane

My K-1 visa interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=13931 Sorry for the grammar mistakes! I wrote this very quickly and am not able to go back and edit it!

My POE interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?trim=no&poe=JFK&page=1&dfilter=0

Native Northumbrian

100px-Flag_of_Northumberland.svg.png

Adopted New Yorker

100px-Flag_of_New_York_City.svg.png

Met in London, UK - 8th October, 2010

Fiancee moved back to NYC - October 2011

Two year long-distance relationship

I-129f sent - 10th September 2013

I-129f NOA1 - 24th September 2013

NOA2 - 18th October 2013 (so fast!!)

DS-160 sent - 14th November 2013

Readiness form submitted - 4th January 2014

Medical examination - 13th January 2014

Interview date - 11th February 2014

Visa approved!

Entered the US at JFK - 30th March 2014

Married! - 25th April 2014

Mailed AOS package - 8th May 2014

Recieved NOA for AOS - 12th May 2014

EAD/AP approved - 23rd July 2014

Received EAD/AP - 31st July 2014

Began working again! - 1st August 2014

Timeline

I can't believe it. She helps so many people, directly and indirectly, and I will be forever grateful for all her knowledge. And now she's gone. I read the thread that supposedly caused the ban and thought I'd missed something. Surely all this can't be over what was said there? There was nothing wrong.

There are a few regular posters on this site that help out so much from the kindness of their hearts, not because they are obliged to do so. I could never have got through the process so quickly and easily without their knowledge, and it will be a great shame for new posters to not be able to benefit from Nich-Nick's info. I really hope she comes back and this matter is settled.

That being said, I have lurked before signing up and posting and have noticed a change in postings. I think its sad that people come here for information, get what they need and leave as soon as the visa is in hand. As I'm flying out soon I have a lot of things to take care of, but as soon as I'm more settled I will be coming back frequently to help out where I can (although my immigration knowledge is like 1/100th of Nich-Nick's and other regulars). I want to help but also believe its important to help others in return for being helped before.

Basically, I wouldn't have got through this process as calmly and as prepared as I did if it weren't for wonderful posters like Nich-Nick. I hope she will return.

K-1 Process:

09/03/13 - NOA1

10/22/13 - NOA2

02/25/14 - Visa Interview - Approved!

03/03/14 - Visa Received

04/08/14 - US Entry

06/05/14 - Wedding

AOS Process:

07/02/14 - NOA1s received for I-485, I-765 and I-131

07/23/14 - Early walk-in for Biometrics

09/04/14 - EAD Card Approved!

09/11/14 - EAD Card Received

02/27/15 - Greencard Approved!
03/12/15 - Greencard Received!
ROC Process:
02/07/2017 - NOA1
03/09/2017 - Biometrics
02/15/2018 - Extension Stamp in Passport at Local Office
...currently waiting...

Bring nich-nick back!

To put it a few words, without her, I wouldn't have a clue about this process and probably would be stuck with a few RFEs. We couldn't have gone as far as the K1/AOS without her guidance. I solely follow her words, I barely looked at the guides on the site.

She IS the UK forum, not just an adviser.

I can't believe that Nick-Nich has gone. I've seen the post which probably caused the administrative action and I've seen far worse that resulted in no action taken. And the post was open to interpretation also.

You would think that the Mods might consider all the help that Nich-Nick has given to other members and the time she has taken - often individually as she did with me. The Mod action seems out of proportion.

Since arriving in the US last June, I have posted less but that is partly because the London process has changed so much since I went through it and my guidance is out of date. I do post in some other areas and do read a fair amount.

Timeline

I'm really disappointed to hear this news as well. Nich-Nick has been such an asset to this community. She has been so patient and understanding with answering questions from people, questions that probably get asked many many times, over and over and each time, she's come in and replied fairly and informatively. I even told her that I was so appreciative to her that I'd buy her a Starbucks gift card when we got our approval. Well today, we got our approval and I've got a Starbucks card with her name on it!!

This forum has been so informative. I know I wouldn't have been able to navigate the K1 process without it. She was a huge part in making me understand it all.

I hope that she does what's best for her, but I know that if she leaves for good, she'll be greatly missed. It'd be great to see her come back!

I posted in the TOS thread, but I'll post here too. I'd completely understand if Nich doesn't come back even if the ban is lifted. Please wish her good luck from me.

It's a shame, especially when she is replaced by a massive influx of uppity, misinformed ####### posters.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.