Missjadey

What did you do for health insurence?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When you first moved to America, did you just go without health insurence, or...?

I will be moving to Washington State once my Visa goes through and I have no idea how I will be able to get covered, I heard that immigrant health insurence is very expensive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Get married, get added on to your SO's cover.

Expensive for everybody.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Get married asap.

There are crappy short term coverage available, but nothing that would fall into best.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I bought short term coverage - found some recommendations on a few VisaJourney sites (I have health issues so didn't want a lapse in coverage after leaving Canada and before marriage). I didn't end up having to use it thankfully. It's been awhile but I spent a few hundred dollars and got about two months coverage. It was very very basic coverage though.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

I agree, get married. Getting married (not getting the green card, Getting Married) is a life changing event and you can be added to your spouse's insurance.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I still haven't figured out health insurance for myself, trying to get something asap.. my husband is a student so is still covered under his parents. Hopefully I will get a full time job eventually when I get my EAD that I will get coverage with hopefully not too long after... but until then there are so many different options I don't understand.. everything costs hundreds of dollars a month.. hard when my husband is a student only working part time and I can't work!

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We didn't bother with short term coverage since we got married <2 weeks after my entry. My daughter and I were then added to my husband's insurance.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree, get married. Getting married (not getting the green card, Getting Married) is a life changing event and you can be added to your spouse's insurance.

Just to clarify: This means that, since my wife and I just married, if we wait until I get the greencard to enrol me in her coverage, I may end up with a coverage gap? It just seems like a really big expense to pay insurance for a country I don't live in and, as we all know, this process is expensive, so it seems a bit silly to spend more money than we need, you know?

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Immigrating is often considered a life changing event as well so it's important for the US spouse to inquire with their insurance company. For married people that is normally how it works and for K1 it works by getting married. For me, neither worked (we were already married before he was employed) due to my husband's insurance. But right now in the USA you cannot be without insurance without a fine. But immigrants can use obamacare as well, so there is an option if your spouse has a silly carrier like my husband did when I moved.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Oh btw yes, the longer you wait to get married on a k1 you will have an insurance gap. You need some type of temporary insurance to see you through that space.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you. I'll have to get her to check with HR. Her employers SHOULD be pretty liberal in their policies, I think, as she works for a university, but I'll let her know she needs to check on this, sooner rather than later. It would also be an option to, depending on timing, enrol later, at the next time she can make changes to her policy, and hope that it comes before immigration goes through and is close enough to my receiving my visa to be able to not pay TOO much, right? People do get options to make changes at certain times? Sorry, I really don't understand health insurance.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

You normally have an "open period" each year to make changes to your health insurance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.