uscparent

IR-2 Category - Petition for Minor Children of a US Citizen

128 posts in this topic

I have a question.

My stepkids got their IR-2 approved this week and we are leaving for the US tomorrow. They were given a paper that they must pay the $165 immigrant visa fee before traveling. It says that if it's not paid, the green card won't be mailed. IR-2 minors become US citizens upon entry into US, so we don't need a green card. We can use the I-551 stamp to apply for their US passports.

Has anybody not paid this fee?

Thanks.

Great Question but I also want to ask, is the biological parent a US Citizen already?

The minor kids can automatically become a USC only if the biological parent is a USC upon entrance to US.

Congrats to you by the way.

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a question.

My stepkids got their IR-2 approved this week and we are leaving for the US tomorrow. They were given a paper that they must pay the $165 immigrant visa fee before traveling. It says that if it's not paid, the green card won't be mailed. IR-2 minors become US citizens upon entry into US, so we don't need a green card. We can use the I-551 stamp to apply for their US passports.

Has anybody not paid this fee?

Thanks.

Hi my son was also approve for IR2 visa, he's already here since nov of 2013, my son is under 18 and im already a US citizen, so the children become automatic US citizen, i didn't pay the $165 fee, since he doesn't need a green card and the I-551 stamp has the validity for 1 year, i already apply him a US passport and use the I-551 stamp, aside from my Certificate of Citizenship, they ask for my old passport that i use to enter the United Stated with my immigrant visa, thank god i still have that in keep, my son has already a US passport last Dec of 2013, now 1 week ago i got a mail from USCIS asking us to pay the $165, i called uscis and speak to immigration officer and i told him that my son is already a us citizen and he already has a us passport, do we need to pay, i was put on hold coz he want to check, he said he doesn't know what is going to be the process and advise me to made an info-pass in my nearest uscis office to speak to an immigration officer about the situation,

I havent made the infopass yet.(-:

Great Question but I also want to ask, is the biological parent a US Citizen already?

The minor kids can automatically become a USC only if the biological parent is a USC upon entrance to US.

Congrats to you by the way.

Thanks, yes my wife petitioned for her kids after she became a US citizen.

Hi my son was also approve for IR2 visa, he's already here since nov of 2013, my son is under 18 and im already a US citizen, so the children become automatic US citizen, i didn't pay the $165 fee, since he doesn't need a green card and the I-551 stamp has the validity for 1 year, i already apply him a US passport and use the I-551 stamp, aside from my Certificate of Citizenship, they ask for my old passport that i use to enter the United Stated with my immigrant visa, thank god i still have that in keep, my son has already a US passport last Dec of 2013, now 1 week ago i got a mail from USCIS asking us to pay the $165, i called uscis and speak to immigration officer and i told him that my son is already a us citizen and he already has a us passport, do we need to pay, i was put on hold coz he want to check, he said he doesn't know what is going to be the process and advise me to made an info-pass in my nearest uscis office to speak to an immigration officer about the situation,

I havent made the infopass yet.(-:

Thanks for the first-hand info.

My wife and I brought her kids over to the US last night.

POE was FLL. The primary CBP officer was cool and funny and he brought us over to secondary where it was empty. Took all of 15 minutes to get both of them processed. AWESOME. Turns out that we didn't need the 2.5 hour layover after all.

Anyway, there were 2 CBP's working in secondary. And each one was funnier than the next. Not in a "ha ha funny" way, but in a "these guys don't know basic immigration policies" kind of way

So once he got them fingerprinted and took out all the yellow envelope papers, the first one asked ME (husband of their USC mom) when I'm going to adopt them so they can become US citizens. I educated him by letting him know that since my wife is already a USC, they become US citizens automatically and I don't need to adopt them. LOL

Enter CBP #2... another one was close by and came over to lend us his wisdom because he heard me say that we will just apply for their passports. He says that he would strongly suggest that we apply for the Citizenship Certificate (N-600). Here's the reason he gave: without that, there is no way to prove that they are US citizens. I was going to say that the US passport is pretty good proof of US citizenship, but I just kept my mouth shut and just wanted to get it over with, so we left.

So, POE at FLL was painless and took under 15 munutes, even with 3 international flights landing at basically the exact same time. It was at 6pm. The immigration line for USC's was out the door into the corridor where you exit the jetway. But the line for residents, immigrants, and visitors was only about 20 people deep. Glad they were with us. Actually Global Entry line was completely empty, I could have gone there but my wife and obviously stepkids do not so I was forced to wait.

To those of you who travel overseas, get Global Entry. It's $100 for 5 years, and you will save hours. I'm gonna get it for my wife and stepkids once they get their US passports.

Oh, let me add a bit about Customs. This is the first time it has happened to me. I have never been "interviewed" by the customs CBP officer who takes the little blue ticket as you leave the immigration/cusoms area. This guy asked us all kinds of things why we wnt to Costa Rica, how long, who are the kids, where we work, is this normal? He had a bit of an attitude (typical power trip).

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: IR-2 Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

POE was FLL. The primary CBP officer was cool and funny and he brought us over to secondary where it was empty. Took all of 15 minutes to get both of them processed. AWESOME. Turns out that we didn't need the 2.5 hour layover after all.

Anyway, there were 2 CBP's working in secondary. And each one was funnier than the next. Not in a "ha ha funny" way, but in a "these guys don't know basic immigration policies" kind of way

So once he got them fingerprinted and took out all the yellow envelope papers, the first one asked ME (husband of their USC mom) when I'm going to adopt them so they can become US citizens. I educated him by letting him know that since my wife is already a USC, they become US citizens automatically and I don't need to adopt them. LOL

Enter CBP #2... another one was close by and came over to lend us his wisdom because he heard me say that we will just apply for their passports. He says that he would strongly suggest that we apply for the Citizenship Certificate (N-600). Here's the reason he gave: without that, there is no way to prove that they are US citizens. I was going to say that the US passport is pretty good proof of US citizenship, but I just kept my mouth shut and just wanted to get it over with, so we left.

So, POE at FLL was painless and took under 15 munutes, even with 3 international flights landing at basically the exact same time. It was at 6pm. The immigration line for USC's was out the door into the corridor where you exit the jetway. But the line for residents, immigrants, and visitors was only about 20 people deep. Glad they were with us. Actually Global Entry line was completely empty, I could have gone there but my wife and obviously stepkids do not so I was forced to wait.

To those of you who travel overseas, get Global Entry. It's $100 for 5 years, and you will save hours. I'm gonna get it for my wife and stepkids once they get their US passports.

Oh, let me add a bit about Customs. This is the first time it has happened to me. I have never been "interviewed" by the customs CBP officer who takes the little blue ticket as you leave the immigration/cusoms area. This guy asked us all kinds of things why we wnt to Costa Rica, how long, who are the kids, where we work, is this normal? He had a bit of an attitude (typical power trip).

Thank you for your detailed and valuable description.

I also recommend Global Entry, a while ago, after I got USC I used to travel once a month with a green card and you cannot believe the variety of nonsense questions I got from immigration officers and customs at FLL, they are always intimidating people, everyone is suspicious for them.

Nobody knows if one of them got a bad day at home, so better stay at the safe side to avoid delays.

Global Entry was the end of all my fears entering US from other countries and the best way to bypass long lines unless you are part of the flight crew or have a disability.

Timeline

Congrats. Anyway, did you pay the $165 fee? I try to make an info pass appointment and theres none available appointment at this time in our local uscis

Congrats. Anyway, did you pay the $165 fee? I try to make an info pass appointment and theres none available appointment at this time in our local uscis

Filed: IR-2 Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Now, we didn't pay the $165, and we don't plan to. Sometime this week, we will go to the Post Office to apply for their passports.

I think that the officer that advised you to apply for the certificate of citizenship was right. I know it's pretty expensive but it's like having the birth certificate and the best proof of USC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi to all who had complete their journey on NVC, i am petitioning my step-son and i already paid the AOS, now do i have to send the I-864 ? together with other other attachments to NVC?

K-1 VISA APPLICATION

June 13, 2011 - Application send to USCIS thru Fedex

June 17, 2011 - I-129F Packet received by USCIS Signed for by: JCATES

June 22, 2011 - NOA1 (via email)

Oct. 12, 2011 - NOA2 (on USCIS website)

Nov. 28, 2011 - VISA APPROVED . Thank you Lord!!!

For more Info: Please look at my timeline...

Good day,

I am expecting my 8 year old daughter from the Philippines to migrate here in CA in a couple months for good. (IV visa) IR2- Is it possible for me to file a tax amendment form and claim her as my dependent. I started filing my Tax from 2006 to present... If so, what are the procedures? Can I just go to a regular H&R block offices?

Thanks in advance,

Ann

Yes, you can add your daughter as a dependent when she arrives, for tax year 2013 and after. You cannot amend tax forms to include her in previous years since she was not in the US.

Procedure is simple.... No need to amend anything. When you file your 2013 tax return (in early 2014), ask your preparer to add your daughter (should have a SS number) to your return.

Yaay! Thank God! My son's visa got approved today. Good luck to everyone. :)

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

3/7/12.. Visa on hand
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png

Stepson I-130 Petition

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

NVC Stage

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

4/24/14... Case Complete

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yaay! Thank God! My son's visa got approved today. Good luck to everyone. :)

-Congrats to you! Hopefully me too, the waiting game is killing me.. :)

I-130 petition for two minor

2/12 i-130 sent to uscis

2/13 Uscis noa received

3/16 request expedite uscis thru congressman

3/17 office of congressman replied that vermont service center has agreed to expedite

3/24 i-130 approved

3/26 emailed nvc for expedite request no reply waited 30 days

4/9 Nvc received files

4/19contact nvc requesting nvc case number no reply

5/7 called nvc for the case number, finally got it.

5/11email received from nvc about case number

5/9 Expedite requested thru email

5/15 email from nvc will expedite once all documents are in

5/16-aos fee paid/iv fee

5/19 aos /iv fee processed

5/19 got email from nvc request under review?

5/22 nvc emailed same as 5/15

5/20 ds260 completed

5/29 aos documents sent by lawyer

6/4 NVC receive documents allow 30 business days

7/31 got a Freakin checklist coz my lawyer put the wrong number omg so frustrated

8/1-nvc received checklist please allow 60 business days...nice!!!!

9/1-30days is up still frustrated at my lawyer kids would have been starting school by now

9/27-AOS fee changed from "paid" to n/a called nvc right away..confirmed case completed :) finally

10/1-ceac status changed to READY.

10/7-slec advance medical

10/15-interview approved

10/17-visa/passport arrived via 2go. booked US ticket me and my 2 kids yea God is good

10/19-passport req for minors stickers

10/23-arrived in JFk NYC

N-400

Sent:11/2/2016

Received:11/4/2016

Cashd:11/6/2016

Noa:11/9/2016

Fprint:12/1/2016

called uscis for advise Emergency out of the country trip while pending N400 no letter for schedule on interview (dad suddenly passed away had to go to Philippines to arrange funeral gone for 2 weeks)

schedule for interview 2/27/2017- Approved yey!

-Congrats to you! Hopefully me too, the waiting game is killing me.. :)

Thank you and I'm sure yours is coming soon :)

Good luck :)

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

3/7/12.. Visa on hand
4/24/12... AOS Mailed

Stepson I-130 Petition

NVC Stage

4/24/14... Case Complete

Timeline

Hello po :) Me and my brother will be having our interview next week. I'm turning 18 this October and my brother is turning 13 this August, so basically we're minors. Uhm, is it mandatory that we must be accompanied by our biological mother to the interview or is it okay that it's just the two of us?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.