Mrs. Forgetful

Thoughts of moving to your SOs country

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance purcahses my tickets for me and my son and I are going in March and I just left not to long ago. I will say that he has no problem with money. He does not make a lot but he is able to save and he loves to shop. So I have to disagree I know someone that makes about 800 a month, they have a nice expensive condo, a nice brand new car (BMW), a maid, two well keep children and wife and he still travels alot. He does not have to use all of his money. My fiance tells me that if he penny pinches he can save about half of his salary now he saves a thrid. This one thrid grows fast. One thing about Moroccans they do not mind sharing there info. But I will not expose him for now. He helps his family and he told me that he can take care of me and my son. And when we where denied he called several times begging me to move there. He is a little scared to come here, becuase he knows it is different. I make the equivalant of what he makes and I am not able to do as much as him. I know that the maids in Morocco only get paid 60 bucks a month and they have medical benefits but that is all. So if you make about 400 a month this is very good and the 800 like I mention is almost considered rich. If I was not in the military I would run to go a be lazy. But I must say I do not think I could deal with not working for long. I am a little aggresive and it does not go well in that country to have a woman on the move you know?

إركا

[

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I was wondering if anyone has talked to their SO about moving back to their home country in the future. My husband and I have talked about this quite a lot. Now that we went through the whole process of gaining his permanent residence, I am starting to wonder why we went though it when we might be going to live in Morocco. I know that it's good since we can now start saving money and he can get job expeirence. I would just hate to start a family and then when we decide to go to Morocco we have to pick up everything and start all over.

So my questions: Have you and your SO talked about moving to their home country? If so, what was the decision? When would you move? If you chose not to move, what is/are the reason(s)?

Hello Janine...and everyone else

Well moving to your SO's country can be a great thing. But reality check: Be prepared. Have money saved (enough to get a home, and be able to live pretty well for at least 2yrs...before having to look for work) Have your own home ( somewhat or far away form the in-laws) Be able to buy or ship a car there. Make sure your SO will be able to get a job there. Check out the local doctors and hospitals. Check out the schools (if you will be taking kids)... and last but very important donnot burn all your bridges here in the USA.

For my and husband< we have talked about living in DZ... both agree it would be a great idea. And for now, it is and will be few months here and few months there. But after our whole process whines down... inchallah I pray we can have a little nest egg put away. We have talked about also living in Europe, since we both have more ties there... We could live in 3 different countries if we wanted to. And more important I could have more work and opportunities in Europe with my degree.

And funny thing in reference to what Private posted. She is right, even in Algerie many people there (esp foreigners I met) have cleaning ladies that come do everything from cleaning, cooking to child care and get paid very little. And I know several women there (foreigners) living the "good life" ( the max of what good life could be in DZ) just cos they donnot have to pay for food or home (as the husbands pay for that... and whatever money they get from the US (mostly investments) they do whatever they want with. Funny thing for me, I could live in DZ like a queen, just from the income I get for rental property I have in Europe, (In the USA equals nothing but in DZ more then any top salary)... So little things like this make me smile :D and not fear living in DZ or elsewhere.

(FYI: many degrees that were earned in foreign lands are not valid here, and one needs to start their education from point 0 many times to be able to practice in their field. ELHAMDULLAH I have studied for 2 professions... so I saved myself this hassle. But I did know many people were lawyers in their homeland and here in the US cleaning people and working in resturant... and I know each one of them hated it :( )

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
I would live in jordan, i love it there, and would love for my future children to spend every summer there to embrace their culture and to also be with their family whos there....but as for right now, i have an awesome job here, and sofyans doin well, so it wouldnt be any time soon

That's another reason I wanna go to India more. I wouldn't mind living there in some cases, but Ryan and I have decided to just go there to visit. I do want our kids to know where they are from. I love it in India. I can't wait to go back.

Our Timeline:

05.18.2006-I-129F Petition sent to NSC

05.19.2006-I-129F Petition rec'd by NSC

06.02.2006-Rec'd NOA1

06.30.2006-Rec'd RFE

07.03.2006-Sent RFE to CSC

07.11.2006-RFE rec'd by CSC - Reply

09.11.2006-*APPROVED*

09.18.2006-Rec'd NOA2

09.29.2006-Sent I-129F pkg

10.04.2006-Rec'd I-129F pkg

10.06.2006-Embassy sent packet3

10.13.2006-Form DS-230 to New Delhi Embassy

10.26.2006-Rec'd initial packet3

11.08.2006-Rec'd police certificate

11.08.2006-Interview date thru email: DECEMBER 12, 2006 @ 8 AM

11.14.2006-Rec'd interview letter snail mail

11.18.2006-Medicals

11.22.2006-Rec'd medicals

12.01.2006-Packet4 to New Delhi Embassy

12.12.2006-Interview - Still need passport clearance & co-sponsor

12.20.2006-Sent co-sponsor info

01.03.2007-Rec'd papers & passport clearance

01.04.2007-Sent papers & passport to New Delhi Embassy - Rec'd

01.16.2007-Passport sent out

01.18.2007-Passport rec'd. No visa. Need more proof of relationship

01.24.2007-Sent more proof of relationship

02.03.2007-Rec'd proof

02.06.2007-Sent to New Delhi Embassy

03.07.2007-Rec'd passport. No visa

04.18.2007-CSC rec'd papers

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

my so and i have def talked about living in israel. i lived there for 6 months last year, and have spent almost a year there total. right now i have another year and a half in grad school, which is why we are applying for the visa. if (heaven forbid) it doesnt work, then off to israel i go.

even if he does come here, weve agreed for it to only be a few years. we both want to raise our kids in israel, where they can truly be jewish.

Feb 16, 2007 I-129F SENT

Feb 17, 2007 I-129F recieved by CSC

Feb 20, 2007 NOA 1

Feb 23, 2007 touch

Feb 26, 2007 NOA 1 recieved in mail

May 9, 2007 NOA2!!!!! we are on our way!

May 23, 2007 NVC finally sends on our case

June 12, 2007 Packet 3

July 27, 2007 Interview

AUG 14, 2007 APPROVED!

Oct 8, 2007 finally together again

Nov 2, 2007 Legally married

Nov 29, 2007 AOS paperwork sent

Dec 3, 2007 NOA for AOS and EAD

Dec 22, 2007 RFE

Jan 15, 2008 RFE returned

Jan 25, 2008 RFE recieved, last touch on AOS

Feb 22, 2008 EAD recieved

Mar 29, 2008 AP application sent... late but just in case

May 2008 AP approved!

Sept 5, 2008 AOS approved!

next dealing with UCIS June 2010

אני לדודי ודודי לי

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
my so and i have def talked about living in israel. i lived there for 6 months last year, and have spent almost a year there total. right now i have another year and a half in grad school, which is why we are applying for the visa. if (heaven forbid) it doesnt work, then off to israel i go.

even if he does come here, weve agreed for it to only be a few years. we both want to raise our kids in israel, where they can truly be jewish.

if only my fiance were from israel instead of morocco......i'd move there and my parents would be so much happier! ;)

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

We have definitely talked about living in Nepal, but would need to save a lot of money to do so since there are not many jobs available, though I could do a little language teaching here and there. Also, the political situation has been rocky for the last few years, but appears to be stabilizing. At any rate, we will definitely be visiting regularly. I can't wait to go back - Jaya Nepal!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Amr and talk about this quite often. I would move there now no questions asked, Amr however would like to experience the U.S for a few years. I would not want to live in Cairo though, but maybe Alexandria or one of the resorts on the sea.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.