domwardbound

How could potential US/Russia tensions affect visas?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Nothing will happen regarding Russia. Everyone will scream about how evil Putin is, and then forget all about it in a few months.

It's interesting to see what will happen regarding southeast Ukraine, as a lot of oblasts are really unhappy with the new Ukrainian government and consider the entire new government to be illegitimate with everything they do being agains the constitution and thus null and void, with a lot of them planning referendums with regards to declaring independence from Ukraine (not just Crimea like you would think from reading US news).

For example, just yesterday Luhansk oblast has issued a statement that they sent to Verhovna Rada considering the entire government illegitimate and demanding that they must do certain things (declare Russian second official language, disband all militias, do not prosecute police or Berkut, declare certain nationalist parties illegal, etc) or else they will request help from Russia.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

I hope because of the Russian aggression in Ukraine that the US will expedite K-1 Visas for Ukrainians. I talk to Mila almost every day, and she is very worried, she cries every night after the boys are asleep. If I could get her to the US, then I'd know she would be safe for a while. Eventually Putin is going to start WW3, so no one will be safe in the long run. But for now, I will settle for us being together for what time we have.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Eventually Putin is going to start WW3, so no one will be safe in the long run.

You think so? He's not that crazy, i think. (This should not be interpreted as support for him, merely stating it would be a political suicide for him, to start a war with any developed country/country actively supported by those.)

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I just got (another) multientry visa to Russia. Over the years, I've gotten many more than a dozen. This one is good for three years. Turn around this time seemed about normal relative to experience over the past five years and probably faster than before that.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Uh oh. Here we go. This is almost certainly a prelude to a move into Ukraine by Russia by calling it a "peace keeping mission".

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-calls-emergency-un-security-182320732.html

I wonder if Tanya flees to another country and asks for asylum or refugee status, if I would still be able to get her here? Perhaps going to a US embassy in Turkey for instance?

This has the potential to get real ugly in a hurry.

02/28/2014 - I-129f Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center / Я-129F Принято и направляется в сервисный центр Техаса

03/04/2014 - NOA1 Notice Date / NOA1 Уведомление Дата

03/05/2014 - NOA1 Received via Email & Text / NOA1 полученных через электронную почту и текст

03/05/2014 - Check Cashed by TSC / Чек обналичены TSC

03/06/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed / Регистрационный номер иностранца Изменен

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1 Hard Copy / Поступило NOA1 Печатная

10/09/2014 - NOA2 Received via Email & Text / NOA2 редакцию по электронной почте и текста (219 DAYS!!)

10/14/2014 - Received NOA2 Hard Copy / Поступила NOA2 Жесткий диск

10/16/2014 - Case Shipped to NVC / Дело Отгружено NVC

10/23/2014 - Case Received by NVC / Дело Поступило NVC

10/24/2014 - Case Number Assigned by NVC / Номер дела, присвоенный NVC

10/27/2014 - Case Left NVC for Moscow Consulate / Дело Левый NVC для Москва консульства

10/29/2014 - Moscow Consulate Received Case and Changed Status to Ready / Москва Консульство получил случай и изменила статус Готов

11/24/2014 - Medical Exam / Медицинский экзамен

11/26/2014 - K-1 Interview (Approved!!) / K-1 Интервью (утвержденный!!)

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Uh oh. Here we go. This is almost certainly a prelude to a move into Ukraine by Russia by calling it a "peace keeping mission".

I wonder if Tanya flees to another country and asks for asylum or refugee status, if I would still be able to get her here? Perhaps going to a US embassy in Turkey for instance?

For K1 visa it does not matter where she is. Even if they send the package to Moscow for instance, you can contact the embassy and ask them to transfer the case to any other embassy anywhere. You do not have to do the interview in the country that you have citizenship.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

For K1 visa it does not matter where she is. Even if they send the package to Moscow for instance, you can contact the embassy and ask them to transfer the case to any other embassy anywhere. You do not have to do the interview in the country that you have citizenship.

You have to contact the embassy where you want to be interviewed and ask them to request the packet from the original embassy.....anyway that's what Moscow told us. It took about 2 weeks to transfer our case from Moscow to Kyiv, but fairly straightforward with no problems.

05-02-13 I-129F Sent05-06-13 Delivery Confirmation at Dallas Lockbox

05-08-13 NOA1

05-10-13 Touched

05-13-13 NOA1 I-797C Hardcopy Received

08-05-13 Request For Evidence

10-16-13 NOA2

10-21-13 NOA2 Hardcopy Received

11-19-13 NVC Received

11-26-13 Consulate Received

12-04-13 Case transferred from Moscow to Kyiv

01-31-14 I-129F Approval Extended For 4 Additional Months By Consulate At My Request

03-06-14 Interview

05-23-14 ISSUED

05-28-14 Visa Received

08-19-14 POE Chicago

08-22-14 MARRIED!

09-04-14 Received SSN

02-06-15 Filed AOS 

01-20-16 AOS Approved

--------------------------------------

ROC Filed 1-18-18

1-18-18 NOA1

5-11-18 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

5-24-18 Biometrics Processed

8-18-18 I-797 18 Month Extension Letter Received

1-30-19 ROC Approved

2-5-19 Green Card Received 

4-26-19  N-400 Submitted

9-11-19  N-400 Interview (Approved!)

11-08-19 CITIZENSHIP!!!

Timeline

What grounds would she have to be considered a refugee? Russia is not at war at the moment, there's no immediate life threatening situation. At least i'm here at the moment and not feeling it.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

What grounds would she have to be considered a refugee? Russia is not at war at the moment, there's no immediate life threatening situation. At least i'm here at the moment and not feeling it.

I was seeking options in case the situation escalated. If ties with Russia are severed, or even greatly reduced, then they (Russians seeking visas) are stuck there...that was my point. Given that situation, I would be looking for ways to get her out of the country. She would be considered an asylum seeker (aka refugee) at that point. War is not the only cause of this.

One does not have to be at war to seek asylum or become a refugee. You only have to fear persecution due to political beliefs, religion, race, nationality or social category. Refugees come in many different flavors.

yes, there are plenty of refugees from Ukraine in Russia, but not the other way around.

You are actually mistaken.

Many Russians have fled Russia for Kiev.

02/28/2014 - I-129f Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center / Я-129F Принято и направляется в сервисный центр Техаса

03/04/2014 - NOA1 Notice Date / NOA1 Уведомление Дата

03/05/2014 - NOA1 Received via Email & Text / NOA1 полученных через электронную почту и текст

03/05/2014 - Check Cashed by TSC / Чек обналичены TSC

03/06/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed / Регистрационный номер иностранца Изменен

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1 Hard Copy / Поступило NOA1 Печатная

10/09/2014 - NOA2 Received via Email & Text / NOA2 редакцию по электронной почте и текста (219 DAYS!!)

10/14/2014 - Received NOA2 Hard Copy / Поступила NOA2 Жесткий диск

10/16/2014 - Case Shipped to NVC / Дело Отгружено NVC

10/23/2014 - Case Received by NVC / Дело Поступило NVC

10/24/2014 - Case Number Assigned by NVC / Номер дела, присвоенный NVC

10/27/2014 - Case Left NVC for Moscow Consulate / Дело Левый NVC для Москва консульства

10/29/2014 - Moscow Consulate Received Case and Changed Status to Ready / Москва Консульство получил случай и изменила статус Готов

11/24/2014 - Medical Exam / Медицинский экзамен

11/26/2014 - K-1 Interview (Approved!!) / K-1 Интервью (утвержденный!!)

event.png

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

http://www.newsweek.com/ukrainian-refugees-flood-russia-rebels-are-squeezed-263166

No, I mean Ukrainian citizens. I'm in Russia, and my friends who have gone to OVIR for various reasons have said that the line is 90% Ukrainian refugees now. If they were Russian citizens, they wouldn't be at OVIR.

Russians fleeing for Kiev? What are you talking about?

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Many Russians have fled Russia for Kiev.

Not the smart ones!

No Ukrainians would go to Russia.

Some of our Ukrainian friends have fled to Russia.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

I was seeking options in case the situation escalated. If ties with Russia are severed, or even greatly reduced, then they (Russians seeking visas) are stuck there...that was my point. Given that situation, I would be looking for ways to get her out of the country. She would be considered an asylum seeker (aka refugee) at that point. War is not the only cause of this.

One does not have to be at war to seek asylum or become a refugee. You only have to fear persecution due to political beliefs, religion, race, nationality or social category. Refugees come in many different flavors.

Don't you have to prove the threat to yourself personally? Just being a person seeking an American visa wouldn't suffice i think. I know of situations when people provoked policemen at demonstrations so they could have video and photo proof of them being attacked by the authorities personally for their beliefs, etc.

I'm aware of 'many different flavours', no worries.

And btw abot Ukrainian refugees in Moscow - there was a very scandalous post in the Russian blogosphere from a lady who moved to Saransk i think (small city in Russia) from Donetsk and was complaining about conditions there. It wasn't a newly registered account or anything so it wasn't a fake just for the sake of black PR.

I'm the beneficiary.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.