7 posts in this topic

In effort to help fellow fed employees from jeopardizing their clearance, set forth below shares experience from employees planning to marry foreign nationals.

First thing first...*YOUR I-129F WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY SPECIAL ATTENTION SO DON'T BOTHER BRINGING IT UP* (although I heard your beneficiary's green card interview will be "easier" since your employment status doesn't wave too many red flags...let's worry about that later)

I've seen, heard and experienced various stages of the K1 visa process for folks in our line of work and things can get messy and ugly if you fail to set things straight with your security division prior to your visa journey.

For brevity and clarity, I'll try not to write a 5000+ characters on "To Dos and Don't Dos, instead, I'll post new info in each replies.

For those holding 2 clearances (e.g. full time fed employee + military reservist), you have a bit more on your plate.

Do not worry, this post is not to scare you away from your fiance/fiancee nor make you feel remorse on going on that TDY :-)

What you SHOULD do before even putting together I-129F packet

1. Leaving proper paper trail

- Notify your CSO/SSO (whoever handles security matters) of all foreign travels and info re initial contact with your intended spouse

- Update on your on going relationship (report change of status that you two are exclusive and maintain daily communication via phone, internet, etc.)

- Update your intention to get married. (marriage doesn't have to be definite but your intention should be notified)

- (by now you have 3 official document submitted to your sec division) This generally keeps you in good standing as you have kept your employer in the know

Common downfall for folks is that they notify their security after the fact they decided to get married...this case has a high chance of jeopardizing your career.

Again, #1 'paper trail' is extremely important.

I see too many good employees getting jammed up in a situation where they have to chose love or career. Be open with your sec and self report and you'll get a good start.

til next post...

In effort to help fellow fed employees from jeopardizing their clearance, set forth below shares experience from employees planning to marry foreign nationals.

First thing first...*YOUR I-129F WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY SPECIAL ATTENTION SO DON'T BOTHER BRINGING IT UP* (although I heard your beneficiary's green card interview will be "easier" since your employment status doesn't wave too many red flags...let's worry about that later)

I've seen, heard and experienced various stages of the K1 visa process for folks in our line of work and things can get messy and ugly if you fail to set things straight with your security division prior to your visa journey.

For brevity and clarity, I'll try not to write a 5000+ characters on "To Dos and Don't Dos, instead, I'll post new info in each replies.

For those holding 2 clearances (e.g. full time fed employee + military reservist), you have a bit more on your plate.

Do not worry, this post is not to scare you away from your fiance/fiancee nor make you feel remorse on going on that TDY :-)

What you SHOULD do before even putting together I-129F packet

1. Leaving proper paper trail

- Notify your CSO/SSO (whoever handles security matters) of all foreign travels and info re initial contact with your intended spouse

- Update on your on going relationship (report change of status that you two are exclusive and maintain daily communication via phone, internet, etc.)

- Update your intention to get married. (marriage doesn't have to be definite but your intention should be notified)

- (by now you have 3 official document submitted to your sec division) This generally keeps you in good standing as you have kept your employer in the know

Common downfall for folks is that they notify their security after the fact they decided to get married...this case has a high chance of jeopardizing your career.

Again, #1 'paper trail' is extremely important.

I see too many good employees getting jammed up in a situation where they have to chose love or career. Be open with your sec and self report and you'll get a good start.

til next post...

Hmm, it sounds difficult rather than in reality, really!

My fiance and I had this stuff done. I do remember correctly that each commanding division has a different rules. When my fiance was stationed in Guam - he is the USCG- his commander in Hawaii asked him to get notarized letter from me that I was legally age to get marry. But, the process wasn't done yet when he moved to Key West, Florida.

He then sent message to head office in Miami and asked what he should done to get permission for marry. They replied back, nothing form or paper was needed. He also put me on his security clearance as one of closest friends. His boss aware of this stuff and he did not recommend my fiance to do more papers. In fact, when my fiance traveled to Jakarta for my interview, he sent the travel request - it is mandatory for security reason- and got approved.

Are you working in Federal Government or have you done this stuff before?

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Each agency/dept handle security matters differently.

I'd like to also note that all military personnel do not hold the same level of clearance thus procedures will vary. (higher level requires further supporting docs)

Typically for folks in the military, your sec officer will require a marriage certificate before beginning your re-adjudication process. (tedious steps mentioned in my previous posts generally not required)

My original post may be more applicable to those cleared for "higher" access...for those extra "careful/paranoid" folks reviewing this thread but won't post questions for opsec reasons ;-)

(Please keep in mind I'm simply sharing situations which I've dealt with...not citing any official rules & guidelines on marrying a foreign national (if such a thing even exist))

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

e name="Sungtory" post="6834457" timestamp="1392939829"]

Each agency/dept handle security matters differently.

I'd like to also note that all military personnel do not hold the same level of clearance thus procedures will vary. (higher level requires further supporting docs)

Typically for folks in the military, your sec officer will require a marriage certificate before beginning your re-adjudication process. (tedious steps mentioned in my previous posts generally not required)

My original post may be more applicable to those cleared for "higher" access...for those extra "careful/paranoid" folks reviewing this thread but won't post questions for opsec reasons ;-)

(Please keep in mind I'm simply sharing situations which I've dealt with...not citing any official rules & guidelines on marrying a foreign national (if such a thing even exist))

Or just ask your security officer for questions.

Edited by Rael

Wow. Information on this is hard to find but this has personally been the most stress about the entire process. I hold a "clearance" not going to divulge any more details than that. I am happy that I did the right thing and documents "met a foreign national" even on my first trip back from vacation.. and then every trip after that. I then spoke to my SSO and said "hey.. i want to ensure that I am giving the correct official notification (not just a return from travel paper) and I think I need to file a memo of record stating I am in this relationship)... My contractor company was small.. and they didn't have a lot of experience with this.. someone erroneously told them to file this as an INCIDENT.. instead of just an update. well my clearance was immediately red flaged and I could work on my contract while this was being reviewed. I was told that once this got looked at it would be cleared and was obviously no big deal and shouldnt have been filed that way. But there was no way for my company to back in and UNDO it. I was told the waiting list for these things getting reviewed sometimes was taking up to TWO years.. and many forums from people going through it confirmed it.. Thank God i had a whole lot of people in high places making calls.. and mine got looked at quicker and cleared.. This was a little over a month being unable to work on the contract. I was able to go back to work.. Now its a whole new bucket of worms because once his visa gets approved.. i have to file an intent to marry which could mean I'll be red flagged again and out of work indefinitely. Hopefully.. the fact that this is already been vetted once and the cleared it.. and this is the same person.. and the risk is less if they live in the US.. hopefully it won't happen again. I seriously think this is ridiculous. I understand why these things need to be filed and looked at but there shouldn't be a years waiting list for something being looked at that in a few moments someone can see is no big deal. I have worked very hard to get where I am in my career and its not like just losing a job.. its a clearance.. without that I can't work ANYWHERE just about. Miserable experience.. Definitely be honest.. notify security in writing and document it!!!

Edited by LadyTre0627

On second thought, Rael is right.

Go to your security officer. He/she can provide you the best answer (hopefully).

Just wanted to save some hassle and redundancy for others in a similar situation as I'm going through multiple hurdles with my security division.

Fortunately, my K1 visa process is moving along and all admin issues are squared away with my employer.

Like LadyTre0627 said, it's in your best interest to be transparent with your security folks and don't be shy to OVER DOCUMENT everything.

GL!

Yes the memo of intent to marry is not a specific form.. it is a memo that you yourself write. Therefore I have talked to my security officer and have a plan on how it is going to be drafted. It will remind them up front that this was red flaged, vetted and cleared already and it will also show a timeline of all communications where I reported the contact (mainly return from travel)... Don't rely on them to remember you if you make it this far.. give them a complete packet with summary and all info. I wanted them to know that my fiance was from the DR (not russia or china or somewhere).. that he was 21.. and a freaking waiter.. had never worked for the government or military..etc Also that none of his immediate family members did either.

Last tidbit/recommendation: the official way for ctr FSO's to send this info to the govt is to put it in the system... however.. most seasoned FSO's will not do this (for exactly what happened to me). They will hand carry it over to the govt security office for whatever agency you are working for and have a talk with them and leave it at their discretion what to do next. Most of the time for situations like this. they are not going to red flag you or suspend your clearance. if you work for a small company pay attention to this!!!!! let them know they have that option if they didnt already know.. you cant make them do it your way.. but most of them wont feel like its a big deal but dont know another way to report it.. when i had this issue MANY clearance lawyers and SSO's told me that it should have been hand delivered.. so when i file intent to marry (which BTW I am not doing one second before he has visa in hand) it will be walked over. I would not file intent to marry before he is approved to come here. Thats my personal preference.. why put yourself through that.. if it doesnt even get approved or if it gets admin processing or something and you coulda kept your job at least another 6 months..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.