tadli77

Should I write an affidavit of support for myself?

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I was wondering, should I go ahead and write an affidavit of support for myself (and have it notarized) detailing my relationship and marriage and divorce with my former husband (a USC). Can I present this to a naturalization interview? My ex husband also wrote me an affidavit of a bona fide marriage, which he signed and had notarized.

I married him in 2007.

CGC on 2008.

ROC 2010.

Divorce 2011.

Filed based on 5 year residency.

In our divorce decree, it states that we separated in Sept 2009, although that was a mistake. We have records and proof to show that we were together in 2009 and 2010 up until we divorced in 2011.

By affidavit of support, do you mean a form I-864? If so, I don't see why you would bother as it isn't a requirement for naturalization. Am I missing something?

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

No, not an I-864, but a document detailing my relationship with my ex. I think it's because we moved to another state during my conditional green card status and did not inform USCIS (we were not aware that we had to). While we were in Virginia, we maintained our apartment in Texas. So when removal of conditions was sent, our lawyer in Texas handled everything and my permanent green card arrived in the mail a few weeks later.

The fact that we moved, and then maintained our Texas address, and then signed a lease in Virginia after the arrival of my permanent green card -- AND THEN we get divorced 10 months later in Virginia, makes me wonder if the IO would find it confusing and therefore, suspect.

What should I do in my case?

I am still in friendly terms with my ex, and he has written me an affidavit of a bona fide marriage, had it notarized and mailed it to me.

You're filing based on 5 years of permanent residency. Your ex-husband and marriage are irrelevant at this point.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Thank you, hmh33! I was just being sure... I was told by a lawyer that because we divorced a few months after I received my Permanent GC that they might suspect fraud and to just be ready in case.

Has anyone been through something similar?

Our divorce decree says we separated a year before filing for ROC but this was a mistake. We did not separate till a month before our divorce was final. I have proof (lease, car title, insurance) that we were together.

Thank you, hmh33! I was just being sure... I was told by a lawyer that because we divorced a few months after I received my Permanent GC that they might suspect fraud and to just be ready in case.

Has anyone been through something similar?

Our divorce decree says we separated a year before filing for ROC but this was a mistake. We did not separate till a month before our divorce was final. I have proof (lease, car title, insurance) that we were together.

Don't worry about it, Just make sure they have your correct address now, Even though you have the GC you must still keep them informed of your correct address. I married a USC. she divorced me before my GC was issued. In the interview I just explain that she up and left leaving me hanging. They still gave me the GC. Don't worry about it Divorces happen. My 5 years is up and I've just received my citizenship Certificate.

Don't worry about it, Just make sure they have your correct address now, Even though you have the GC you must still keep them informed of your correct address. I married a USC. she divorced me before my GC was issued. In the interview I just explain that she up and left leaving me hanging. They still gave me the GC. Don't worry about it Divorces happen. My 5 years is up and I've just received my citizenship Certificate.

Thank you! Trying my best not to worry. I am trying to be as best prepared as I can be in case I get asked many questions about my divorce. I was still married to my ex when my conditions were removed, and since our divorce I have not kept very many evidences of our stay together.

Thank you! Trying my best not to worry. I am trying to be as best prepared as I can be in case I get asked many questions about my divorce. I was still married to my ex when my conditions were removed, and since our divorce I have not kept very many evidences of our stay together.

Sounds like you don't have a good relationship with him. But you might want to try ask him or his family, mother father, brothers friends for any photos etc the two of you. I had to do that but I did not have a bad relationship with my ex. so it was not difficult.

Filed: Timeline

Hi! I decided to post here so any other person in the same boat as I was in before will get a fair idea and stop stressing.

As long as you know your marriage was legit and you are confident, you will be fine.

I was in the same boat as you, my husband divorced me 2 months after I got my permanent GC.

I took had a notarized letter from him stating how the divorce went ( he had a baby out of wedlock- and rather divorced me. Sob sob ! Lol!

Anyway I had my naturalization interview yesterday at the Pittsburgh office at 8:30am sharp.

The IO did not ask me anything about my marriage. (Bear in mind I have two failed marriages and also I just got recently married) so three in all! I was asked nothing and I mean nothing not even a divorce decree as I forgot to include them in my application ( isn't God great!) I was approved And am waiting on my oath yayyyyyyyy

Anyway don't stress okay u will be fine

PS: I have even filed for my new husband (f2a category)( 3rd one) hopefully this time I get it right as they say, third time is a charm lol

God bless everyone going through this with patience..

First off, God bless you @babfela! Your message made my morning and I will keep the same faith you have.

I just received the notarized letter my ex husband sent me. Hopefully, that will help in case the IO asks me more about my marriage with him.

My test is on Tuesday and I must admit I feel more calm today after reading what you wrote. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and I will be sure to update everyone of my progress.

Hi! I decided to post here so any other person in the same boat as I was in before will get a fair idea and stop stressing.
As long as you know your marriage was legit and you are confident, you will be fine.
I was in the same boat as you, my husband divorced me 2 months after I got my permanent GC.
I took had a notarized letter from him stating how the divorce went ( he had a baby out of wedlock- and rather divorced me. Sob sob ! Lol!
Anyway I had my naturalization interview yesterday at the Pittsburgh office at 8:30am sharp.
The IO did not ask me anything about my marriage. (Bear in mind I have two failed marriages and also I just got recently married) so three in all! I was asked nothing and I mean nothing not even a divorce decree as I forgot to include them in my application ( isn't God great!) I was approved And am waiting on my oath yayyyyyyyy
Anyway don't stress okay u will be fine

PS: I have even filed for my new husband (f2a category)( 3rd one) hopefully this time I get it right as they say, third time is a charm lol
God bless everyone going through this with patience..

I wanted to provide an update.

I had my interview today in Kansas City, MO, and after about 15 minutes of answering questions about history and civics, passing the English reading and writing test, and verifying that all the information on my N400 was correct -- I passed!!! I am being recommended for naturalization and my oath taking ceremony is in two months!

The IO did not ask any questions about my divorce from my ex husband, other than verifying the fact that I am indeed a divorcee. I said yes and she moved on to the next questions.

I feel so relieved and I cannot thank everyone who I have talked to on VisaJourney.com enough. You have all been a great source of valuable information, strength and hope.

To everyone else still waiting for their naturalization, the finish line is close!!! Keep pushing forward!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.