Nellag

My last approved K-1 was in 2001. Why do I need an IMBRA waiver?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The filling limitation law states that:

"IMBRA imposes limitations on the number of petitions a petitioner for a K nonimmigrant visa for an alien fiancé(e) (K-1) may file or have approved without seeking a waiver of the application of those limitations. If the petitioner has filed two or more K-1 visa petitions at any time in the past, or previously had a K-1 visa petition approved within two years prior to the filing of the current petition, the petitioner must request a waiver. These limitations do not apply to petitioners for a K nonimmigrant visa for an alien spouse (K-3)."

I have filed only one K-1 in the past that was approved in 2001. Why are they requesting that I must apply for a waiver?

May 19, 2006 - Mailed I-129 to NSC (from Nigeria)

June 5, 2006 - NSC received application

June 9, 2006 - Check cleared

June 23, 2006 - USCIS sent RFE

August 4, 2007 - Called USCIS for receipt #

August 14, 2007 - Cousin forwarded RFE

August 21, 2007 - Received RFE from Cousin

August 22, 2007 - Mailed back RFE to CSC - from Nigeria

Received no acknowledgment of receipt of RFE. Mail may have been lost or stolen. Called USCIS twice and they could not confirm receipt.

September 25, 2006 - Case was closed (RFE not received)

November 24, 2006 - Called CSC (Case re-opened, IMBRA RFE to be re-sent)

December 1, 2006 - CSC resends IMBRA RFE to USA address

December 11, 2006 - Had IMBRA RFE couriered from USA

December 28, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE in Africa (severely delayed by holiday season)

January 6, 2007 - Mailed back IMBRA RFE

January 16, 2007 - Touched (CSC acknowledges receipt of RFE)

January 23, 2007 - NOA2 sent

July 17, 2007 - Scheduled Interview date

September 21, 2007 - Submitted I-601 waiver application

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
The filling limitation law states that:

"IMBRA imposes limitations on the number of petitions a petitioner for a K nonimmigrant visa for an alien fiancé(e) (K-1) may file or have approved without seeking a waiver of the application of those limitations. If the petitioner has filed two or more K-1 visa petitions at any time in the past, or previously had a K-1 visa petition approved within two years prior to the filing of the current petition, the petitioner must request a waiver. These limitations do not apply to petitioners for a K nonimmigrant visa for an alien spouse (K-3)."

I have filed only one K-1 in the past that was approved in 2001. Why are they requesting that I must apply for a waiver?

I would say based on your timeline when your case was originally filed, you used the outdated I-129F form (because it was the only one available). Everyone who originally filed cases between March 6th and sometime in the early to mid summer (when the updated I-129F was made available) received the IMBRA RFE. It was pretty much standard procedure.

YMMV

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I understand everyone that used the outdated forms received the IMBRA RFE but in my case, in reference to a previous petition I had filed, I am been asked to request for a waiver even though that petition was filed and approved five years ago. I thought the waiver request applies only if this was my third application. This is my second K-1 application coming after one that was approved in 2001.

May 19, 2006 - Mailed I-129 to NSC (from Nigeria)

June 5, 2006 - NSC received application

June 9, 2006 - Check cleared

June 23, 2006 - USCIS sent RFE

August 4, 2007 - Called USCIS for receipt #

August 14, 2007 - Cousin forwarded RFE

August 21, 2007 - Received RFE from Cousin

August 22, 2007 - Mailed back RFE to CSC - from Nigeria

Received no acknowledgment of receipt of RFE. Mail may have been lost or stolen. Called USCIS twice and they could not confirm receipt.

September 25, 2006 - Case was closed (RFE not received)

November 24, 2006 - Called CSC (Case re-opened, IMBRA RFE to be re-sent)

December 1, 2006 - CSC resends IMBRA RFE to USA address

December 11, 2006 - Had IMBRA RFE couriered from USA

December 28, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE in Africa (severely delayed by holiday season)

January 6, 2007 - Mailed back IMBRA RFE

January 16, 2007 - Touched (CSC acknowledges receipt of RFE)

January 23, 2007 - NOA2 sent

July 17, 2007 - Scheduled Interview date

September 21, 2007 - Submitted I-601 waiver application

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I understand everyone that used the outdated forms received the IMBRA RFE but in my case, in reference to a previous petition I had filed, I am been asked to request for a waiver even though that petition was filed and approved five years ago. I thought the waiver request applies only if this was my third application. This is my second K-1 application coming after one that was approved in 2001.

Then I am at a lost for a reasonable explanation...... This is my second K-1 petition as well and I did not request a waiver with my submission because I did not meet the criteria for needing one as with you. Strange.......

YMMV

• 1 month later...

I agree that you shouldn't be required to file a waiver. But, the way the USCIS is interpreting IMBRA, if you have filed a second or more K-1 application then you need a waiver. This is contrary to the way the law is written but that's what's happening. It sucks but it is the way they are interpreting it. With your waiver, be specific as to case numbers, dates and eventual outcome of the application and previous fiancee.

If you are looking for information about IMBRA use this search engine or just any other search engine and make the subject IMBRA. You should find the law with many other comments and suggestions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.