JAYANN & JAY

Traveling with Advance Parole

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone. I have a question if anyone can help. My husband's grandmother recently died and my husband wants to go to the Philippines for the funeral. He already has his EAD/AP combo card but other people are advising us that he should not go home as it might be hard for him to re-enter the U.S. Do you think its safe to travel with Advance Parole or should he just stay here? Any help would be great.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

03.05.13: I-129F Sent
03.12.13: I-129F NOA1 (Vermont Service Center)
07.12.13: I-129F NOA2 (Petition approved)

08.27.13: Interview - APPROVED

09.23.13: POE to JFK

10.08.13: WEDDING DAY

AOS PROCESS

11.02.13: AOS/AP/EAD Sent

11.08.13: NOA1

12.11.13:Biometrics

01.06.14: EAD/AP combo card received

02.07.14: Received an interview waiver letter

04.18.14: Green Card received

ROC PROCESS

03.08.16: ROC Sent

03.12.16: NOA1

04.04.16:Biometrics

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone. I have a question if anyone can help. My husband's grandmother recently died and my husband wants to go to the Philippines for the funeral. He already has his EAD/AP combo card but other people are advising us that he should not go home as it might be hard for him to re-enter the U.S. Do you think its safe to travel with Advance Parole or should he just stay here? Any help would be great.

He won't have an issue, that is what the AP card is for.

My condolences _______________

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

As Hank says it's no problem at all!

Make sure he brings his Combo Card with him. When he checks in for his flight back he should tell the check-in personnel that he flies with AP (they usually ask on what visa you travel, but he doesn't travel on a visa at all, he travels on AP)

In addition It wouldn't hurt to carry along the marriage certificate and the receipt that he filed for AOS.

My condolences as well!

Nov 30th 2012.....Filed Petition I-129F

Dec 6th 2012.......NOA1 (VSC)

May 29th 2013.....File got transferred to TSC

June 18th 2013....NOA2 (after 196 days!!!)

July 9th 2013.......Case is sent to NVC

July 18th 2013.....Medical in Munich

Aug 28th 2013.....Interview in FRN - Approved!

Aug 30th 2013.....Visa in mail!

Sep 13th 2013.....POE Boston

Nov 12th 2013.....Wedding in Old City Hall, Boston

Dec 02nd 2013....Sent AOS package

Dec 04th 2013.....Package received

Jan 02nd 2014.....Requested expedite for EAD due to severe financial loss (pending job offer)
Jan 06th 2014......Biometrics Appointment
Jan 07th 2014......EAD/AP Combo Card in production
Jan 13th 2014......Combo Card received in mail
Mar 12th 2014.....Potential Interview Waiver Letter
Apr 23rd 2014......Status update to "Card Production"
Apr 25th 2014......Status update to "Decision"
Apr 28th 2014......Welcome Letter arrived
May 3rd 2014.......Green Card arrived

My condolences to both of you on the passing of your husband's grandmother. rose.gif

Your husband shouldn't have any problem entering the U.S., but according to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP):

Please note that Advance Parole does not guarantee admission into the United States.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/lpr/adv_parole.xml

Timeline

My condolences to both of you on the passing of your husband's grandmother. rose.gif

Your husband shouldn't have any problem entering the U.S., but according to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP):

Please note that Advance Parole does not guarantee admission into the United States.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/lpr/adv_parole.xml

Thank you. That is what I am worried about since it states AP does not guarantee admission to the U.S. my parents are worried also that if he goes to the Philippines he may not be able to re-enter with just the AP. Not sure what to do as my husband wants to see his grandmother one last time before she gets laid to rest.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I have never heard of a case when someone was traveling with AP and wasn't allowed back into the US!

They're just being precautious with saying that.

Just think of this: every restaurant may refuse to serve you without any reason. Are you worried about that when you go there? No because usually you get served. But of course there is ALWAYS the 0.0000001 % chance that they say "I don't like your nose. I won't serve you today." It's somewhat likely with the US Border Protection.

Does that make sense?

Traveling on the K1 visa to the US is the same thing. It doesn't guarantee entry but have you heard of anyone with a valid K1 visa who wasn't allowed to enter the US?

Don't worry. He should really go to his grandmother's funeral and don't worry about not getting back into the country. But again, he has to bring his Combo Card (that says "serves as Advance Parole" on the bottom, right?), his marriage certificate and his NOA1 for AOS.

Stop worrying and start booking the flight.

Nov 30th 2012.....Filed Petition I-129F

Dec 6th 2012.......NOA1 (VSC)

May 29th 2013.....File got transferred to TSC

June 18th 2013....NOA2 (after 196 days!!!)

July 9th 2013.......Case is sent to NVC

July 18th 2013.....Medical in Munich

Aug 28th 2013.....Interview in FRN - Approved!

Aug 30th 2013.....Visa in mail!

Sep 13th 2013.....POE Boston

Nov 12th 2013.....Wedding in Old City Hall, Boston

Dec 02nd 2013....Sent AOS package

Dec 04th 2013.....Package received

Jan 02nd 2014.....Requested expedite for EAD due to severe financial loss (pending job offer)
Jan 06th 2014......Biometrics Appointment
Jan 07th 2014......EAD/AP Combo Card in production
Jan 13th 2014......Combo Card received in mail
Mar 12th 2014.....Potential Interview Waiver Letter
Apr 23rd 2014......Status update to "Card Production"
Apr 25th 2014......Status update to "Decision"
Apr 28th 2014......Welcome Letter arrived
May 3rd 2014.......Green Card arrived

A GC doesn't guarantee entry to the US either. Furthermore, a K-1 doesn't guarantee entry in the US. Was he afraid to use that? If he becomes an international criminal between the time he leaves the US and the time he returns, then he won't be coming back. But otherwise it will not be a problem. That is what AP is for.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

If I were in your husband's shoes, I would definitely go. I've never seen a case here on VJ where someone with AP was denied entry into the U.S. Of course, there's also that big world outside of VJ where things happen that I don't know about. But, I'd still go, and if possible, I'd bring back a copy of grandma's death certificate (just in case).

Timeline

A GC doesn't guarantee entry to the US either. Furthermore, a K-1 doesn't guarantee entry in the US. Was he afraid to use that? If he becomes an international criminal between the time he leaves the US and the time he returns, then he won't be coming back. But otherwise it will not be a problem. That is what AP is for.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

If my husband goes home to the Philippines using the AP and his K-1 visa on his passport expires February 2014 is it still safe to travel. My husband thinks that I should accompany him on his trip to the Philippines just in case he has trouble re-entering. We have read that he can travel with AP as long as he was never out of status upon filing the AOS.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

If my husband goes home to the Philippines using the AP and his K-1 visa on his passport expires February 2014 is it still safe to travel. My husband thinks that I should accompany him on his trip to the Philippines just in case he has trouble re-entering. We have read that he can travel with AP as long as he was never out of status upon filing the AOS.

His K-1 is already cancelled since he used it, so the date on it doesn't make any difference. He will be reentering on AP as an AOS applicant. K-1 is over.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

His K-1 visa expired when he entered the U.S. It's his I-94 that allowed him to stay 90 days in the U.S. and remain in status. Now his I-94 has expired and it's his AOS letter that is keeping him in status. Since he doesn't have his conditional green card yet, it's his AP which would allow him to re-enter the U.S.

I don't know if it would help if you traveled with him.

Timeline

His K-1 visa expired when he entered the U.S. It's his I-94 that allowed him to stay 90 days in the U.S. and remain in status. Now his I-94 has expired and it's his AOS letter that is keeping him in status. Since he doesn't have his conditional green card yet, it's his AP which would allow him to re-enter the U.S.

I don't know if it would help if you traveled with him.

His K-1 is already cancelled since he used it, so the date on it doesn't make any difference. He will be reentering on AP as an AOS applicant. K-1 is over.

Thank you both so much for these great advices. Its so hard when a death in the family occurs and you have no way of traveling to see your loved one.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

Thank you both so much for these great advices. Its so hard when a death in the family occurs and you have no way of traveling to see your loved one.

But he does have a way to travel. With his AP. He can travel.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Jay will be fine traveling with the AP card, tell him to stop stressing... ;)

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.