Udella&Wiz

Obtaining Car insurance for the first time....no previous driving experince

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

AAA refused to insure me when I arrived in the US for a lack of driving history. I've had my license for 15 years in France but they still considered me as a "new" driver.

I went with Geico, it was affordable the first year, and the rate just dropped in the second year because I had no claims in the first.

I think she should consider an older car and get liability insurance only. That's gonna be a lot less expensive, and maybe help her realize that she needs to drive responsibly (because any damage to her car would be on her).

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think she should consider an older car and get liability insurance only. That's gonna be a lot less expensive, and maybe help her realize that she needs to drive responsibly (because any damage to her car would be on her).

echo. ! ! ! get an older car, pay cash for it ( no car note, hence no need for full coverage), get liability plus one other thing, keeping the rate as low as possible, and make a budget for the car repairs.

I'm assuming she NOT have a peer group nearby that she's trying to impress, and instead is a proper 22 year old female with a part time job and slogging through university or medical training.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the tip

I work as an insurance agent and young people like your daughter call us all the time for quotes so encourage her to call, she can say I am thinking of buying such and such and they will give a quote. You are correct that her lack of credit and driving experience will affect her rate. She should consider getting an older car that she could have liability only on as this will be the cheapest. You cannot negotiate your insurance rate as they approved by the insurance commissioner for each state. Try Geico (which is not the company that I work for) as they seem to have good rates for young drivers at least in GA where I live.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We have encouraged all these sensible things - we shall see what she ends up with. Right now she is a lot of talk, but no action. She doesn;t have as much $$$ saved as she thinks and she will find out through trial and error what she can afford (aka a nice sensible car)

echo. ! ! ! get an older car, pay cash for it ( no car note, hence no need for full coverage), get liability plus one other thing, keeping the rate as low as possible, and make a budget for the car repairs.

I'm assuming she NOT have a peer group nearby that she's trying to impress, and instead is a proper 22 year old female with a part time job and slogging through university or medical training.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.