allierivero

Fiance is legally in foreign country but not a citizen, what do I do?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have looked around and not been able to find anything on this but I am new to vj and let's face it-sooo overwhelmed by everything related to our visa process.

So, my fiance is in Portugal on a student visa, but he is not a citizen. He is a citizen of another country, a former Portuguese colony, therefore there are a lot of immigrants from his country there. My question is, will we still be okay using the U.S Embassy in this Portugal since he is there legally, just not as a citizen? If not, we would have to send him back to his home country to do all the paperwork there. This is not ideal since I would like to visit him while we are going through the process and it is not as easy to travel to his home as it is for Portugal.

Secondly, assuming he is in Portugal, when is the best time to visit for an extended period of time during this whole process? I would like to send in my I-129 and all that good stuff as soon as possible, wait for confirmation from USCIS, and then head to Europe. Should I be waiting for my NOA2? Is it possible that I could be in Portugal and be managing my paperwork abroad? Obviously, I plan on sending in all the necessary information and then some, to avoid any RFE's and also bringing all the necessary documents that my fiance would need for his part of the process. In a perfect world, I would be there to help him through what he has to do but since I would only be able to visit for 90 days max, I don't know how to time things.

In the end, I just want to know that we can be together if only for a couple months before the long stretch of time while we wait for everything to be processed.

Thanks in advance, this site makes things a little more bearable when you're not feeling too hopeful.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Welcome!

Yes, since he is legally resident in Portugal he can absolutely do his paperwork, medical and interview there. But if he chooses to return to his home country for whatever reason, you can move processing there, no problem.

If you have someone in the USA who can send you on any paperwork you may receive from USCIS, you can really travel whenever you want. That being said, travelling right after your I-129F was accepted is probably easiest, as you are unlikely to get any paperwork (unless RFE) for 90 days after that.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Welcome!

Yes, since he is legally resident in Portugal he can absolutely do his paperwork, medical and interview there. But if he chooses to return to his home country for whatever reason, you can move processing there, no problem.

If you have someone in the USA who can send you on any paperwork you may receive from USCIS, you can really travel whenever you want. That being said, travelling right after your I-129F was accepted is probably easiest, as you are unlikely to get any paperwork (unless RFE) for 90 days after that.

Thank you, Penguin_ie, that gives me such piece of mind. Well then, I will hopefully be visiting this forum from Portugal in a few weeks!