Tahoma

So...where are the VJ Fil-Am success stories?

82 posts in this topic

Coming up on 2 years of marriage in February. Been some rocks along the way, to be sure, but rocks just stir the waves and cause the water to blend faster, eh? Between cultural differences, a stubborn old man, and a hard-headed Pinay, and neither of us willing to admit the other is a better cook... we have made it this far, and it's been great. My previous marriage was good for a long time, but this one... I am amazed sometimes at our similarities and all the things that make us "click".

Also been a good year for us in regards to other VJers... We have been blessed with knowing and living near Rlogan and his beautiful wife and kiddos, meeting up with Bumbero and his lovely lass in the PI, having Curt and Dahlia cook us an AWESOME dinner and breakfast during our "sleepover" after our return from the PI. Tried to link up with Hank and his wife, but she had to work when we were breezing thru, so that is a meeting still in the bucket list. Might even have to meet up with The conciliator, as he may be the closest to us now that we have left the icy mantle of AK behind us so that Asawa Ko may be happier in the near-tropical climes of LA (Lower Alabama).

Yes, a troublesome, often trying journey dealing with two different (and not always user-friendly) governments, but she is so worth it. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world!

Good luck on your new place. Keep the love going...

Glad all is well with you.

~ Chinook

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Coming up on 2 years of marriage in February. Been some rocks along the way, to be sure, but rocks just stir the waves and cause the water to blend faster, eh? Between cultural differences, a stubborn old man, and a hard-headed Pinay, and neither of us willing to admit the other is a better cook... we have made it this far, and it's been great. My previous marriage was good for a long time, but this one... I am amazed sometimes at our similarities and all the things that make us "click".

Also been a good year for us in regards to other VJers... We have been blessed with knowing and living near Rlogan and his beautiful wife and kiddos, meeting up with Bumbero and his lovely lass in the PI, having Curt and Dahlia cook us an AWESOME dinner and breakfast during our "sleepover" after our return from the PI. Tried to link up with Hank and his wife, but she had to work when we were breezing thru, so that is a meeting still in the bucket list. Might even have to meet up with The conciliator, as he may be the closest to us now that we have left the icy mantle of AK behind us so that Asawa Ko may be happier in the near-tropical climes of LA (Lower Alabama).

Yes, a troublesome, often trying journey dealing with two different (and not always user-friendly) governments, but she is so worth it. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world!

Ya that sucked, if you had been taking the southern route it would have been easy, but I-40 is a few hundred miles north. Maybe this summer, as we are talking of a trip east.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

And, we listen to each other...well, sometimes he pretends! Bless his heart.

~ Chinook

Langga, did you say something? whistling.gif

~ Tahoma

Edited by Tahoma

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Even though, I was born and raised there, I still find it scary how the drivers drive there.

It is dangerous to obey traffic signs, lights, and laws here because doing so means you are acting against common practice. If everyone expects you to run a stop sign and you don't, then you are going to be the cause of an accident. And it is definitely scary because there is way less respect for life and property.

Hank mentioned something worth commenting on. I was told by a number of morons not to bring my wife to Alaska in the winter, and to delay her immigration until summer because first impressions were so important and she wouldn't be able to handle it. It struck me as a singularly stupid comment and none of the people who made it I either consider a friend or who have any idea why people would like living in Alaska. She got here at thirty below zero and she had wonderful, exciting new experiences that she had looked forward to the whole time we were doing immigration.

If your wife isn't "into" the lifestyle you are living then ####### are you doing marrying each other? This was my question to the people that made those comments - why on earth would I marry a woman who wasn't cut out for my lifestyle? The whole reason I picked her in the first place was because she was a perfect fit.

DavenRoxy - we're almost done selling your house. Again. We've sold it to four different people so far 'cuz we listed it for $50K.

It is dangerous to obey traffic signs, lights, and laws here because doing so means you are acting against common practice. If everyone expects you to run a stop sign and you don't, then you are going to be the cause of an accident. And it is definitely scary because there is way less respect for life and property.

Hank mentioned something worth commenting on. I was told by a number of morons not to bring my wife to Alaska in the winter, and to delay her immigration until summer because first impressions were so important and she wouldn't be able to handle it. It struck me as a singularly stupid comment and none of the people who made it I either consider a friend or who have any idea why people would like living in Alaska. She got here at thirty below zero and she had wonderful, exciting new experiences that she had looked forward to the whole time we were doing immigration.

If your wife isn't "into" the lifestyle you are living then ####### are you doing marrying each other? This was my question to the people that made those comments - why on earth would I marry a woman who wasn't cut out for my lifestyle? The whole reason I picked her in the first place was because she was a perfect fit.

DavenRoxy - we're almost done selling your house. Again. We've sold it to four different people so far 'cuz we listed it for $50K.

Well, keep selling that thing!! Once you get enough, can you send me some of the proceeds?

I agree with you on the environment thing. I was about to bring my wife to AK while I was deployed in the dead of winter, but decided THAT would be a bad idea; no support, she couldn't drive, etc. So we waited almost a year. But I brought her over in January, convinced the local weather folks to warm it up to -9° for her arrival, then 7 days later too her to Chena Hot Spring on a day when it was -54°. One could argue that bringing them over at the WORST time could prevent a divorce 6-9 months down the road if they decide they can't hang. But they can. If they love you, they will put up with just about anything.

Besides, we did out part to keep both our wives warm in the winter. Having them cut, haul, and stack firewood keeps them real warm, right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, keep selling that thing!! Once you get enough, can you send me some of the proceeds?

I agree with you on the environment thing. I was about to bring my wife to AK while I was deployed in the dead of winter, but decided THAT would be a bad idea; no support, she couldn't drive, etc. So we waited almost a year. But I brought her over in January, convinced the local weather folks to warm it up to -9° for her arrival, then 7 days later too her to Chena Hot Spring on a day when it was -54°. One could argue that bringing them over at the WORST time could prevent a divorce 6-9 months down the road if they decide they can't hang. But they can. If they love you, they will put up with just about anything.

Besides, we did out part to keep both our wives warm in the winter. Having them cut, haul, and stack firewood keeps them real warm, right?

I got used to all the teasing from my co-workers about bringing my hubby-to-be here in MN this winter but I think the winter season is the best time to bring him here so we can keep each other warm all the time. ;-)

Gosh, I remembered my last visit in Manila last April..it was hot and humid.. his house has no AC and I didn't even want him to hug me.. Lol.. But you guys are right, what really matter is that we will finally be together regardless of the weather than being alone in the cold!

Good luck on your pregnancy. Wish you a safe delivery. Being married will always have its challenges, it is how the couple handle these challenges that will spell the result of their marriage. Good that you are happily married now. star_smile.gif Stay in love with each other.

~ Chinook

Thanks! We will! Till death do us part! Right? :)

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

Reading about good and successful marriages is great. good.gif My husband and I have been on cloud nine since 2008. yes.gif We have "little spats" like any other couple and the spats have helped us understand each other more and brought us closer together. We found true love and absolute happiness in our marriage. We are best friends. We are soul mates. We intend to be bound together thru eternity. That's how we roll. star_smile.gifheart.gif

To those that are going through the process; All the pain and angst from being apart will pass. It will fade like a bad dream once you are together. The emptiness and feeling of being half awake will be replaced with the full feeling of being complete and alive! yes.gif

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Would've been here 5 years this April 7th. Married 6 years as of December, Got pregnant within the first few weeks of arriving and we now have 3 wonderful kids (yes, my profile pic is outdated).....the youngest, the only boy, was a surprise :-) Our eldest, who left the RP shortly after completing Preparatory level, skipped 1st grade here and is currently in 6th grade. Just as she has excelled in the RP, so has she done the same so far, being a consistently in the honor roll. Hubby and I are both currently working full-time jobs which is a challenge, being that child care is generally expensive and our nearest kin in 4.5 hours away. Thankfully, we found kind and understanding caregivers who love our kids as they love theirs. Just survived a string of birthdays/holidays/ despite a full-time sched. Hoping to make a trip back this spring star_smile.gif

12-09-08 - INTERVIEW @ 6:30AM...God be with us! --- APPROVED!!!

12-11-08 - VISAS RECEIVED....YAHOOOOO!!!

04-07-09 - POE: Chicago O'hare

04-28-09 - received SSN's (after having to apply for them personally!!!!)

04-30-09 - Received our 2-year GREEN CARDS

01-07-09 - ROC, here we come!!!

01-18-11 - Mailed out I-751

HPIM3434-2.jpg

enKOm5.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats on your AOS! You are on the right track. Good luck!

I can imagine the "sweet" spaghetti. Been a while since I had one...yum!

~ Chinook

Mhmm! Doing it Filipino style with the sugar and banana ketchup. Haha!

I'm going to take my NCLEX tomorrow too. Wish me luck everyone! Hopefully another success story on it too :D Then I can start helping my husband with expenses. :P

So...where are the VJ Fil-Am success stories?

Let me start, me and Tahoma are still happy together. We've been married for almost five years. It's been the best five years of my life. He treats me like a queen/empress and I treat him like a king... I guess this is the formula of our success. We treat each other with love and respect. We bicker (like kids), we argue..but we still have fun!

We love to travel, talk, laugh, discuss different topics, and eat! It's just amazing how we are so compatible in so many ways. We always compromise. And, we listen to each other...well, sometimes he pretends! Bless his heart.

I still look forward to coming home to him at the end of my work each day.

Now, your turn...smile.pngeb0dfafc.gif

~ Chinook

Happily married 6.5 years here and we have a 21 month old son who is awesome. We have 2 fil/am couples that we are close friends with too! We spent Christmas, New Years, and my birthday with them eating and singing karaoke. Despite what some might say, our age gap of 20 years hasn't been a problem. In fact, our gap is the smallest of the 3 couples in our group with the others being 27 years and 34 years. We're glad to see other couples are enjoying life as well.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Thanks! We will! Till death do us part! Right? smile.png

yes.gif

Just like what I promised to Tahoma ...

"Mamahalin kita habang buhay at magpakailanman."

~ Chinook

Mhmm! Doing it Filipino style with the sugar and banana ketchup. Haha!

I'm going to take my NCLEX tomorrow too. Wish me luck everyone! Hopefully another success story on it too biggrin.png Then I can start helping my husband with expenses. tongue.png

How's your exam? Hope you made it!

I know how it feels while waiting for the result. I felt drained after taking the exam. It will all be worth it though, especially when you get your first RN pay check!dancin5hr.gif

~ Chinook

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

How's your exam? Hope you made it!

I know how it feels while waiting for the result. I felt drained after taking the exam. It will all be worth it though, especially when you get your first RN pay check!dancin5hr.gif

~ Chinook

I stopped at 75 questions and got like 20 SATA and walked out smiling but totally crashed after getting home. Haha! I would like to think I passed. Haha! Like really praying and I kept on verifying my license with WA doh the whole day but it's on pending. Don't know if that meant I'm just waiting for issuance or also up for rejection. Nothing is official but regardless we ate at the Thai Bistro, Quiznos, and Pho Ha. They all believe I passed plus I felt like I just had to fuel up. :)

Hoping that I get a job also. I've heard it's been hard to land one but we'll see. If I pass I'd know by thursday and my greencard is scheduled to come then too!

Thank you all for praying for me and wishing me well. I'm adjusting quite fast and well here ^_^

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.