jorgegoco

Has anyone done a consular visa follow up appointment after I-601 Waiver Approval?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have 3 years and about $20k invested in his immigration case. He came to the US with a tourist visa from mexico and overstayed so he got a 10 year ban. We hired an attorney and did the whole I-130 process, he interviewed in Juarez and was denied as expected. Then our attorney helped us file two waiver packets. The waivers got approved from USCIS in September after almost 9 months of waiting. The waiver case went back to the visa processing center from USCIS and he got a letter sent DHL requesting a follow up medical exam and consular interview since exactly one year had passed since his first interview and more than 6 months from the medical. I scheduled the appointment for this Friday and sent him the documents the attorney said he needs. Has anyone gone through the follow up interview in Juarez? We are both very nervous since if anything goes wrong we could possibly lose 3 years of work living apart (myself on my own taking care of our daughter), plus all our money we've invested. The list of documents the attorney said we needed seemed short so I'm really nervous... I'm under the impression that the DS-260 from the original appointment is still used? At least that is what the attorney said. I would really like to hear if anyone else has been through this and what happened.

Thank you!!

S

From my current experience, my husband is from Guatemala, this interview would be a visa interview? Has the lawyer explained what it means? Because if it is a visa interview, then he needs to bring with him proof of your relationship, your daughter's birth certificate and marriage certificate, both in originals is best. Make sure you know what this means for him. If his waiver was approved, than you don't need to worry about anything except proving your relationship is real. Hope everything goes well!!

Timeline

From my current experience, my husband is from Guatemala, this interview would be a visa interview? Has the lawyer explained what it means? Because if it is a visa interview, then he needs to bring with him proof of your relationship, your daughter's birth certificate and marriage certificate, both in originals is best. Make sure you know what this means for him. If his waiver was approved, than you don't need to worry about anything except proving your relationship is real. Hope everything goes well!!

Thanks for the feedback - He already did his visa interview a little over a year ago, this is an administrative processing follow-up. He is bringing proof of our relationship, although it's difficult because we have lived in different countries for the past 3 years - I printed out phone records, text messages, skype history, and entire online conversations, pictures of our visits, family, our daughter's birth cert, marriage certificate, and our birth certs. He printed out our text conversations and asked me if he should show it since it has all of our fights in it.. I told him to bring it anyway because a real couple has fights, lol

Timeline

I just thought I would follow up on this, first of all my husband got approved! The officer didn't ask for anything that he brought with him, just the original birth/marriage certificates. He had photos and correspondence. He said the officer asked him 4 questions and said congrats your approved, your visa will be sent DHL within a week. It was WAY easier than he thought, he was in Ciudad Juarez Consulate. He spent more time waiting outside than he did actually turning in documents and interviewing and they didn't even make him pay the fee which is what the letter said. I worried WAY too much about it I guess because it turned out well. Thanks everyone!

Timeline

I just thought I would follow up on this, first of all my husband got approved! The officer didn't ask for anything that he brought with him, just the original birth/marriage certificates. He had photos and correspondence. He said the officer asked him 4 questions and said congrats your approved, your visa will be sent DHL within a week. It was WAY easier than he thought, he was in Ciudad Juarez Consulate. He spent more time waiting outside than he did actually turning in documents and interviewing and they didn't even make him pay the fee which is what the letter said. I worried WAY too much about it I guess because it turned out well. Thanks everyone!

Timeline

Hiii, I just wanted to ask since your case is very similar to mine, how long in advance did you get your appointment for???

Do you mean in advance of travel?

Timeline

Yes, because our attorney is getting us our appointment & people have told me that they give their appointments for 3 months later, im like waaaaaaat!!!!! Im tired of waiting

As long as you get the letter saying you need to do the appointment you can do it. The process is really easy for Mexico and you set up the appointment on the consulate website. When I signed in to make my husband's appointment, I got him one in two weeks. His appointment was on a Friday and they shipped out his Visa DHL the following Monday and he got it by Thursday the same week and he lives one the opposite side of Mexico from Juarez. We are paying the Green card Fee this weekend and he is flying up the week after. They were extremely fast, and from what I hear he should get his SSN and green card within 3 weeks of arrival. Just make sure you pay the fee per the instructions before you leave. In my experience, so all in all from date of appointment to date of travel we have 3 weeks of space, not 3 months, VERY fast in my experience. Good luck :)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone, i had my interview in us embassy manila last sep 2014 for IR5 & received a refusal letter 212(a)(2)(A)(i) & i dont know what to do next, can anyone help me what to do?

Did the visa officer say you qualify for waivers? if so he/she gives you a white paper stating so, then you file an I601 and I212

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.