Bugs

Customs Declaration Form for K-1 Fiance

18 posts in this topic

My fiance is in the midst of packing two bags for her travel here on a K-1 visa next week, and I have been looking over the customs declaration form that she will have to fill out on the plane when coming here. All the questions are pretty self explanatory with the exception of the last one, which reads:

"15. Residents - the total value of all goods, including commerical merchandise I/we have purchased or acquired abroad, (including gifts for someone else, but not items mailed to the U.S.) and am/are bringing to the U.S. is: $__________

"Visitors - the total value of all articles that will remain in the U.S., including commerical merchandise is: $__________"

My question is twofold:

1. Which does she fill in, the one for "residents" or the one for "visitors"?

2. In filling in the dollar amount, does she include the value of all clothing, personal items, computer, etc, since they were technically purchased abroad and will remain in the U.S.?

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

My fiance is in the midst of packing two bags for her travel here on a K-1 visa next week, and I have been looking over the customs declaration form that she will have to fill out on the plane when coming here. All the questions are pretty self explanatory with the exception of the last one, which reads:

"15. Residents - the total value of all goods, including commerical merchandise I/we have purchased or acquired abroad, (including gifts for someone else, but not items mailed to the U.S.) and am/are bringing to the U.S. is: $__________

"Visitors - the total value of all articles that will remain in the U.S., including commerical merchandise is: $__________"

My question is twofold:

1. Which does she fill in, the one for "residents" or the one for "visitors"?

2. In filling in the dollar amount, does she include the value of all clothing, personal items, computer, etc, since they were technically purchased abroad and will remain in the U.S.?

Thats personal items,you dont have to declare it..there only concern about is the food products you bring into their country..my fiance just put N\A for both parts..if your still in doubt,let your fiance ask the flight attendant if she has any questions..Happy trip!!

April 10, 2017       Filed for N-400

April 12, 2017      NOA

April 17, 2017      Check cashed

May 12, 2017       Biometrics scheduled

May 16, 2017      In-Line for Interview

Mar 12, 2018       Received scheduled interview letter

Apr 20, 2018        Scheduled interview

Apr 20, 2018        Naturalization interview APPROVED !!!

Jun 18, 2018       In-line for the Oath Ceremony

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thats personal items,you dont have to declare it..there only concern about is the food products you bring into their country..my fiance just put N\A for both parts..if your still in doubt,let your fiance ask the flight attendant if she has any questions..Happy trip!!

Laptop and other personal/used gadgets need not be declared?

Only food I'll be bringing are Goldilocks polvoron.

Edited by apple21

Thanks, but some items will not be personal items, as some Christmas gifts are being brought over too, as well as small wedding favors. Do these get declared? And, if so, under "Residents" or "VIsitors"?

Also, question 14 asks "yes" or "no" to: "I have commercial merchandise: (articles for sale, samples used for soliciting orders, or goods that are not considered personal effects)."

So are gifts considered personal effects or commercial merchandise, according to this?

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Laptop and other personal/used gadgets need not be declared?

Only food I'll be bringing are Goldilocks polvoron.

Yes..make sure you put all that has value on your carry on baggage..i dont know about the polvoron thing..we just didnt let her bring any food going here, just to avoid any hassle inspection in customs.plus we are brief in the plane not to bring any food that was prepared by PAL during the flight..

April 12, 2017      NOA

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes..make sure you put all that has value on your carry on baggage..i dont know about the polvoron thing..we just didnt let her bring any food going here, just to avoid any hassle inspection in customs.plus we are brief in the plane not to bring any food that was prepared by PAL during the flight..

Yeah, I don't want to bring food too but the polvoron was requested by my father-in-law so I've no choice. laughing.gif

Edited by apple21

Sorry, but you are wrong. Personal effects need not be declared.

Declare: Cash in excess of $10k UDS. Commercial items (things purchased and brought over with the intent to re-sell). Expensive gifts.

The part about items purchased abroad refers to people who leave the US, buy a LOT of stuff overseas, then bring it back. Do enough of that, and you will pay an import tax. But it's not about an incoming person's clothing, electronics, etc. You can just leave it blank or put N/A on that part. She's not a visitor, as she will not be leaving. She is intending to be a resident.

If you want to be REAL honest, put a fair amount down for gifts purchased. I'm fairly certain it will be so low in value coming from the PI that it won't trigger a taxable event.

Declare: Cash in excess of $10k UDS. Commercial items (things purchased and brought over with the intent to re-sell). Expensive gifts.

The part about items purchased abroad refers to people who leave the US, buy a LOT of stuff overseas, then bring it back. Do enough of that, and you will pay an import tax. But it's not about an incoming person's clothing, electronics, etc. You can just leave it blank or put N/A on that part. She's not a visitor, as she will not be leaving. She is intending to be a resident.

If you want to be REAL honest, put a fair amount down for gifts purchased. I'm fairly certain it will be so low in value coming from the PI that it won't trigger a taxable event.

If you just read on what she ask then you should have understood that i said that she doesnt need to declare it.customs are more strict on food items entering here..

April 12, 2017      NOA

If you just read on what she ask then you should have understood that i said that she doesnt need to declare it.customs are more strict on food items entering here..

I did read it. And it was wrong, that's why I corrected you.

And food is just fine, if you follow the rules. Many bring food over.

Hey im just saying if you have personal items that has value,put it in your carry on and not on your check in baggage..you dont want your laptop stolen or get damage in between the flight..i knew some of my fiance's friends who werent allowed food stuff from phi..i guess it depends on the custom officer checking it..

I did read it. And it was wrong, that's why I corrected you.

And food is just fine, if you follow the rules. Many bring food over.

April 12, 2017      NOA

Doesn't matter if it's carried on or checked, if it meets the rules for declaration, you must declare it.

You are correct, valuable/delicate items should go as carry on. But the question is about declaring items, not how to pack a suitcase. ;)

The customs officer from LAX that I spoke with on the phone this evening seemed to think that she needs to fill in the dollar amount as a visitor, not a resident.

But he did confirm the rest of what you said about not needing to declare personal items, just gifts.

barata-gif-3.gif

The customs officer from LAX that I spoke with on the phone this evening seemed to think that she needs to fill in the dollar amount as a visitor, not a resident.

But he did confirm the rest of what you said about not needing to declare personal items, just gifts.

Interesting. I guess technically she isn't a resident until she gets a GC. But it's not like she's entering with the intent to stay awhile and leave. Guess it's kind of a gray area. Fail to meet the 90-day window, and suddenly you're a visitor, eh? :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Nothing should surprise us after what each of us has experienced. Call again and talk to another agent and I bet you get a different answer. You may think you have seen it all, but you haven't.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Nothing should surprise us after what each of us has experienced. Call again and talk to another agent and I bet you get a different answer. You may think you have seen it all, but you haven't.

Why, what happened to you at customs?

barata-gif-3.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.