Pw3t

New York State drivers license

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I was wondering if anyone else has already been through this and can give me advice on getting my new york state drivers license.

In order to get my license I need 6 points worth of documents proving my name, age or address. I have my permanent resident card and social security card which equal 5 points and I'm having a real hard time getting one last usable document on the department of motor vehicules list since, almost all of the documents listed either dont apply to me like utility bills or they paradoxically require a drivers license to obtain!!!!

If anyone has any tips please fill me in! Thank you very much.

I was wondering if anyone else has already been through this and can give me advice on getting my new york state drivers license.

In order to get my license I need 6 points worth of documents proving my name, age or address. I have my permanent resident card and social security card which equal 5 points and I'm having a real hard time getting one last usable document on the department of motor vehicules list since, almost all of the documents listed either dont apply to me like utility bills or they paradoxically require a drivers license to obtain!!!!

Just a thought, how about your passport and a US bank statement with your name? In TX they valid documents for the MVD (or DPS as it is called here).

Also, just in case, FYI: several states in the US have agreements with Europeans countries to 'exchange' drivers licenses. SOme years ago, when I was living in Colorado and had a CO license I was able to get a German license when I moved over there for some time, because there was an agreement. WHile in most cases you had to surrender your US license, because I was still going back and forth, I was able to keep it.

Different states had/have agreements with different countries, might be worth a bit of research.

Timeline

Just a thought, how about your passport and a US bank statement with your name? In TX they valid documents for the MVD (or DPS as it is called here).

The i-551 stamp in my passport wont work since i can only use one document per issuing agency, so it's either my passport with stamp or my permanent resident card and I can't be added to my husbands bank account because they want a new york state ID/drivers license or a utility bill which I don't have since I'm living with mother-in-law. sad.png Thanks anyways

Edited by Pw3t

Timeline

Also, just in case, FYI: several states in the US have agreements with Europeans countries to 'exchange' drivers licenses. SOme years ago, when I was living in Colorado and had a CO license I was able to get a German license when I moved over there for some time, because there was an agreement. WHile in most cases you had to surrender your US license, because I was still going back and forth, I was able to keep it.

Different states had/have agreements with different countries, might be worth a bit of research.

There is no agreement with the state of New York and France, we learned this awhile ago when my husband moved to France :(

But if you are using your passport to prove your name and identity it's not about the stamp - just the passport itself so it's a different agency as it's the government of your home country.

No bank statements yet? Or an ATM card?

From the guidelines it looks like an American bank credit or ATM card is 1 point so that would work.

Edited by *Lynne*

Timeline

But if you are using your passport to prove your name and identity it's not about the stamp - just the passport itself so it's a different agency as it's the government of your home country.

No bank statements yet? Or an ATM card?

From the guidelines it looks like an American bank credit or ATM card is 1 point so that would work.

in the list of usable documents it states a "foreign passport with valid I-551 stamp" as one document, my foreign passport alone would prove my age and name but not the fact that I'm a resident, it's more or the less the stamp that counts. The bank wont add me to my husbands bank account without a valid new york state ID/drivers license or a utility bill in my name .... It's really unbelievable that the bank wont accept the permanent resident card, it's my government issued ID ...

in the list of usable documents it states a "foreign passport with valid I-551 stamp" as one document, my foreign passport alone would prove my age and name but not the fact that I'm a resident, it's more or the less the stamp that counts. The bank wont add me to my husbands bank account without a valid new york state ID/drivers license or a utility bill in my name .... It's really unbelievable that the bank wont accept the permanent resident card, it's my government issued ID ...

I understand that, but as the list is there to prove name and birth date as well as residency you may be able to use the passport as the document itself is not issued by the DHS - can you phone and ask them?

Also which bank? (and have you tried asking at more than one branch / and or worker there?)

Bank of America added me before I got my green card, SSN or any resident docs in my name.

It would be annoying but is there another bank you could open an account with just for this?

Or are you on a health insurance plan yet? Or will you be soon?

I agree it is a tough list if you haven't got a bank card or a utility bill yet

Maybe is time to shop for another bank or to have a talk to the bank branch manager. In many cases bank clerks insist on a drivers license because they just don't know; they need to be directed to check with the manager of the branch. You wouldn't even have to close this account, just found another bank. We have several accounts in various banks.

Bank of America here in TX had no problems to add my wife to my account and she only needed to show her passport.

Alternatively, car insurance paperwork?

Timeline

Maybe is time to shop for another bank or to have a talk to the bank branch manager. In many cases bank clerks insist on a drivers license because they just don't know; they need to be directed to check with the manager of the branch. You wouldn't even have to close this account, just found another bank. We have several accounts in various banks.

Bank of America here in TX had no problems to add my wife to my account and she only needed to show her passport.

Alternatively, car insurance paperwork?

Going to check out the bank of america tommorrow, will keep you all informed!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

My wife provided the following and got her license.....

Greencard

Social Security Card

Malaysian passport (with 551 stamp, but that's not what they're looking at it for)

Oh, NY State license

Filed: Timeline

If your bank won't do it, doesn't your husband have a credit card he can add you to? .

Most credit card company only require the Social number to add a user.

Also, be aware that they will take your french driver licence away from you the day you pass the test as NY doesn't allow you to have two licence at the same time. Unless you make a special request, it'll be destroyed within a year or something like that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If I remember well, I also submitted my passport which has a photo visa issued by the US consulate in my country.

If you can't change your mind, are you sure you still have one?

03/07/2013 N-400(Marriage based)mailed to Dallas,TX office
03/14/2013 Check cashed
03/13/2013 NOA
04/05/2013 Biometrics(done)
04/09/2013 In line for the interview

05/29/2013 Interview

06/14/2013 Oath letter

08/07/2013 Oath ceremony (5 months since application)

08/07/2013 A US citizen!

December 2013 U.S. Passport and new Social Security card in hand!

My Facebook page for teaching English: https://www.facebook.com/EnglishForMoroccansNow/

Timeline

**UPDATE**

Went to bank of america and we were actually able to open a joint bank account surprisingly easy with the credentials I had, no state id/license needed !!!!!! It's pretty crazy how each bank is different. Next stop the DMV to pass the written test for the learners permit. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.