Me&Her

Mother in US on vistor visa, want to get her green card

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

[Mod, please move this to Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America forum, thanks!

So mother is here in the US to help us take care of baby, I will be USC in a few days after oath. Now how do I get mother a green card so that she can stay beyond the 6-month she was granted when entering the US as a vistor? I see that I need to submit I-130, I485, I-765 and I-131, what else is needed? Can I send this altogether?

Edited by Me&Her

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved as requested~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You can file to extend her visitor visa stay beyond the 6 months for good cause.

Why bother with this when the OP has stated that she wants her mom to get a green card? After all, there has been a change in circumstances (the petitioner getting her US citizenship) and the mother is currently legal in the US.

To OP: Follow the Guides.

Timeline

Why bother with this when the OP has stated that she wants her mom to get a green card? After all, there has been a change in circumstances (the petitioner getting her US citizenship) and the mother is currently legal in the US.

To OP: Follow the Guides.

OK, where is the Guides? Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Me&Her -

you've got the right idea, to file the big adjustment of status set, I-130 + I-485.

The steps are almost similar to what's in GUIDE2 in the Guides Section, but you might have some hurdles on civil docs.

She have a birth certificate? is not enough to have a hukuo book. If she has a birth certificate, it needs to be translated into English. If'n she obtained a Notarial Translation Document, a white book, on her birth certficate, hey - yer golden.

Prep each set as a seperate collection, though. The I-130 is one set, the I-485 is another. Sure, it's perfect to submit all together, in fact you must - but on the prep, do it seperately. Don'e forget the EAD and AP with the I-485 - the filing fees are waived when submitted with the I-485.

Any civil doc on you or your mother, submit a photocopy.

The big difference from GUIDE2, for this type of adjustment of status:

1. you must show proof of USCitizenship and

2. you must show family connection (usually via your birth certificate)

Guide2 -> http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Guides TOC -> http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

Doing Real research here at VJ? Best to use a PC, ditch the handphone.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Hi Darnell,

You are the best, she is (almost) a USC, your help from our K-1 journey is significant. Thank you!!!

In regards to MIL, we bought several "white book" from China on our recent trip, so we should be good there. The question is the birth certificate for both her and her mother, they got different last names. We may have to get a "white book" for her mother's birth certificate as well, I am sure we have th "white book" for the relationship that they are mother and daughter.

Thank you again!

Me&Her -
you've got the right idea, to file the big adjustment of status set, I-130 + I-485.
The steps are almost similar to what's in GUIDE2 in the Guides Section, but you might have some hurdles on civil docs.

She have a birth certificate? is not enough to have a hukuo book. If she has a birth certificate, it needs to be translated into English. If'n she obtained a Notarial Translation Document, a white book, on her birth certficate, hey - yer golden.

Prep each set as a seperate collection, though. The I-130 is one set, the I-485 is another. Sure, it's perfect to submit all together, in fact you must - but on the prep, do it seperately. Don'e forget the EAD and AP with the I-485 - the filing fees are waived when submitted with the I-485.

Any civil doc on you or your mother, submit a photocopy.

The big difference from GUIDE2, for this type of adjustment of status:
1. you must show proof of USCitizenship and
2. you must show family connection (usually via your birth certificate)

Guide2 -> http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2
Guides TOC -> http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides
Doing Real research here at VJ? Best to use a PC, ditch the handphone.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

usually the china birth certificate has the child pegged with the father's last name

and the mother should be listed by her last name.

still, that's a plus - as your wife's birth certificate will have her mother and father's full name there. IMO, that's the bit to use to show the family tie. Different last names on mother and daughter are the standard, again IMO, so don't sweat that bit.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

usually the china birth certificate has the child pegged with the father's last name

and the mother should be listed by her last name.

still, that's a plus - as your wife's birth certificate will have her mother and father's full name there. IMO, that's the bit to use to show the family tie. Different last names on mother and daughter are the standard, again IMO, so don't sweat that bit.

To add to this, it's standard for Chinese women to keep their name when married. Changing it would be considered somewhat unfilial.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

news to me....So if/when my wife becomes a citizen, she could petition and adjust her parents while they happen to be in the US on their visitor visa and stay?

Finished!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.