stretch2212

Need help with RFE please :(

20 posts in this topic

Hey there.

We received an RFE for my husband's pending I485, but we're unsure how to respond as it doesn't really make sense.

The RFE states "For the household member's income to be included in the household income, the household member's income must have been from a lawful source and earned while the household member was authorized to work in the United States" it then goes on to give examples of what we could send to prove this, things like I94, copy of employment authorization etc

Now my UKC husband doesn't work at all as we are still waiting on his EAD, My income doesn't meet the 125% poverty guidelines, so my dad acted as a co sponsor.

I filled out an I864, my dad filled out an I864a as we currently live with him whilst we wait. We sent all the required tax information and pay stubs, we also submitted mine and my dad's biographical passport pages, social security cards, driving licenses and birth certificates to show my dad is my dad. It's very clear that both me and my dad are, and always have been, US citizens so what are USCIS wanting to see from us?

We called their customer service center, but they were less than helpful so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Filed: Other Timeline

did you send tax reports for last year and W2, paystus etc? letter from employer of your dad? they probably mean the letter from employer to prove that your dad worked or still working in that place. If he is self employed then he should also write a letter stating what he does.

11/16/2013 - AOS Package sent via UPS ground shipping (I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765)
11/20/2013 (DAY01) Package delivered to Chicago and signed by CHYBA
11/26/2013 (DAY06) NOA Text messages and emails received

12/05/2013 (DAY16) Biometrics letter recieved for 12-19-2013

12/09/2013 (DAY20) Biometrics done in Buffalo (early walk in)

12/18/2013 (DAY29) I-485 status changed to testing and interview

01/06/2014 (DAY 48)- Interview notice for February 10

01/24/2014 ( DAY 66)- EAD AND AP approved

01/30/2014 ( Day 72)- EAD combo card arrived

02/10/2014 (Day 83) Interview date : APPROVED on the spot!! Passport stamped and card production ordered.

February 18 : GC received. Free until November 2016

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They don't want proof of citizenship they want more so proof of your father's employment. So a letter from his work stating that he is indeed employed there from such and such date to present from his manager/supervisor on a proper letter head (That has the works emails, phone numbers, address and name of the company) should do. I would call them back and ask if they would like any other information added to the letter. Keep calling, you will get someone more helpful :)

The Path to Finding My Soul Mate ❤️

2008 - Met on deviantART.com
2009 - Visited each other for the first time as best friends.
2010 - Realized we were meant to be more than friends ❤️
Christmas of 2011 - Engaged!

July 5, 2013 - MARRIED!!
July 18, 2013 - DOMA IS STRUCK DOWN!!!

Waiting on IR-1 Visa to be approved then will celebrate with the beach ceremony/reception of our dreams ❤️

My Visa Journey for IR-1

11/21/2013 - I-130 Package Sent to Phoenix Lockbox

11/26/2013 - Package Arrived in Phoenix!! Waiting on NOA1!

12/02/2013 - NOA1 received VIA Email! Waiting on Hard Copy!

12/04/2013 - Hard Copy Arrived, waiting on approval!!

06/26/2014 - E-Request sent, Security Check still pending. Still waiting on Approval.
07/05/2014 - Our first marriage anniversary!
08/17/2014 - Still awaiting approval. Planning on sending 2nd E-Request in September
10/09/2014 - I-130 APPROVED, NOA2 Received by E-Mail, waiting for package in the mail!! 311 days later, wow!
12/05/2015 - NVC Received. Assigned Case # and Will be Going to Montreal!
12/11/2015 - AOS and IV Bill paid!!!
05/13/2015 - AOS and IV Package sent!
07/05/2015 - Happy Two Year Anniversary!
08/27/2015 - Interview Confirmed on September 25, 2015 at 8am! WE'RE GOING TO MONTREAL! Fingers crossed!! (one day before my birthday!)
09/08/2015 - Medical Done in Toronto with Dr. Lyndon (Highly recommend! Easy to get too via the subway). All clear there! Waiting for it to come in the Mail
09/25/2015 - Visa APPROVED!

Total Time Taken (Till Interview): 1 Year 10 Months

Point of Entry/Green Card Delivery

09/26/2015 - Back home from Montreal, waiting for LOOMIS delivery to pick up VISA
09/30/2015 - Visa Arrived in London, ON for pick up; Visa in hand!
10/01/2015 - Flight Booked! Moving date is October 7th!
10/07/2015 - POE @ YYZ (Toronto Pearson International). Waiting on Greencard delivery

2019 UPDATE Going Home to Canada. Process for their application took 4 months. Smell ya later USA. Won't miss ya.

I just requested that your post be moved to the AOS forum so you can get the answers you need. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status from Family Based Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

We sent 3 years of tax returns and W2's, 6 months of pay stubs, his birth certificate, passport and driving licence. Infact the only thing we didn't send was a letter of employment, I mean he works for the government so we didn't think it necessary...could it really be that simple?

So what's the best way to proceed? Should we send the whole I864a package, with new pays stubs and the letter? Or just the letter?

I may be wrong but I think both joint sponsors (usc spouse/petitioner and join sponsor) should use form I-864 not I-864a. There is even boxes to tick "I am the petitioner" and "I am the only join sponsor" on I-864. I think thats were the problem is.

Edited by agnesb

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

That's true, but we live with my dad so completed the I864a as he is a household member and we're combining our income.

Could be they overlooked his proof of citizenship.

Do you live only with dad? Separate I-864s is cleaner and easier, by far.

Will you please type the entire RFE here? That way we can be sure we are answering the right thing.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

This office is unable to complete the processing of your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, (Form I-485) without initial information. Submit ALL the information requested below at one time. Failure to do so will result in a denial. You must submit the information within 87 (eighty-seven) days to the following address: U.S. Department of Homeland Security, PO Box 658004, Lee's Summit, MO 64002. Include this letter with your response.

The Service will process your Form I-765, Employment Authorisation (if submitted) within 90 days of the receipt of your missing initial evidence. This is pursuant to Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations, section 103.2(b)(10)(ii).

All copies must be clear and legible. If you submit a document in any language other than English, it must be submitted with a full English translation. The translator must certify that the translation is complete and accurate, and that he or she is competent to translate. You must submit both the foreign language document and the English translation.

If you have a question about immigration procedures, or need clarification, please call our National Customer Service Centre (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833). This toll-free call centre has additional information and, during their specified office hours, can connect you to live assistance in English and Spanish.

X. For the household member's income to be included in the household income, the household member's income must have been from a lawful source and earned while the household member was authorised to work in the United States.

Please submit evidence that the household member on Form I-864, Affadavit of Support, or Form I-864A Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, was authorised to work in the United States. Examples include one of the following:

A copy of Form I-964, Arrival/Departure Record showing a non-immigrant classification that allows intending immigrant/household member to work lawfully in the United States. Examples include E-1, E-2, E-3, H-1B, H-1B1, H-1C, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, I, L-1, O-1A, O-1B, O2, P-1A, P-1B, P-2, P-3, Q-1, R-1, TN.

A copy of valid Employment Authorisation Document issued by US Citizenship & Immigrant Service (USCIS).

A copy of Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record with "Employment Authorised" or similar annotated by port-of-entry personnel.

For the most current version of Form I-864 and Form I864A, including the instructions, go to "Immigration Forma" at http://www.uscis.gov/ or call (800) 870-3676.

We live with my dad and mom, and my two young adopted sisters. My mom is disabled though, so receives a social security benefit. The girls are 7 and 12.

Okay, so the RFE seems just to be asking for proof of legal employment, which can be satisfied by a passport (sent again, I guess).

But, I see a potential bigger problem, and that is household count. I assume your parents file joint taxes and include the younger girls. Are you also on that tax return as a dependent? It is nearly impossible for someone who is a dependent to say that their parent is really a mere household member. Another issue, did it say your household was 6 people? That's parents, 2 kids, you and spouse. They also might want mom to sign a I-864A so that she agrees that household money can be used for the affidavit.

A much cleaner way is for you to do a I-864. Then dad does I-864, and has a household count of 5 (everyone but you). Then mom signs a I-864A for dad's affidavit.

Does dad make enough for a household of 5?

AOS for my husband

ROC:

He makes more than enough. So should I resubmit my I864 and get him to complete an I864?

The reason I ask is because on my I864 I entered the household number as 4 which includes my husband, myself, my daughter (forgot to mention her) and my dad as he completed the I864A, so my new number should be 3 as my daughter is my only dependant?

Oh, daughter too.

Okay, so if you are going to say that your dad is in your household as a member, then you need to combine his household and yours, which makes the household count seven people. Did your original submission correctly reflect that?

I would redo it all, with separate households, 3 for you (which doesn't qualify) then 5 for dad (his count plus the immigrant). Then you also should have the mom do I-864A to consent to her household income being used for this purpose.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

No. I didn't include my mum or my sisters because there wasn't a relevant section. The only section for siblings and parents was the "household members who will be combining their income". So as the kids are too young to work and we only got my dad to complete the I864A, we only counted him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.