rishi851

A strange query

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I am an east Indian, well traveled. I came back from Canada last year after studying and working for 2 years. I have never been to the US. Now this is the situation of my case:

After returning from Canada I saw that my mother was(is) a raging alcoholic and suffers from severe depression. My uncle is a legal citizen of the US and a practicing physician. He advised me to bring her over for a few months stating that maybe a change in surroundings might do her good. He also asked me to come over as a caretaker.

I've always wanted to come to the US for a visit and I have friends everywhere(in practically every state). However my chances of getting even a tourist visa were slim. So we applied under the B2(tourism and medical) category. Me as her caretaker.

Now the thing is....my mother doesn't wish to go ANYWHERE. She is very lazy and a complete lost case. She has no desire to visit my uncle(her brother). She just wants to end her life in a tiny room staring at nothing.

So I went in for the interview and....... GOT THE VISA!! 10 years ® B1/B2.

My mother didn't even go for the formalities and I doubt she'd budge. The interviewer asked me a lot of questions and I answered honestly. He asked why she hasn't applied yet and I told him she was bedridden and that she would apply a few days later. He was impressed and told me on the spot: You have the visa.

So my question is this:

I have a tourist visa. Can I come on this for a visit or I have to be with my mother? Everyone I ask is conflicted. Some say I will be turned away from the airport and will have to go back and others say as long as your passport has the visa the officials won't bother. But I don't want to buy a ticket only to be asked to wait over the night at the airport and return home.

On the other hand if I don't go they say it helps in future visa chances of any kind(he had a visa and didn't bother). If I apply again for studies or short stay my case would seem more genuine.

Any help?

PS- I don't intend to live forever. Lol. Just travel to Florida and California, maybe pay a visit to my friends in Canada and head back before the visa expires.

The Visa stamped on my passport doesn't mention anything except its a R B1/B2. I am attaching a copy of the visa.

thanks for your time, patience and help.

post-173895-0-69277200-1385746711_thumb.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seconded.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

your visa in your passport now has nothing to do with your mother's visa, or lack thereof.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

your visa in your passport now has nothing to do with your mother's visa, or lack thereof.

Yes, I understand this but according to my Uncle the airport officials might stop me and ask about why I am not being accompanied with my mother, considering it is her reason I am there. They have the files and details on there right?

I just hope youre right.

Yes, I understand this but according to my Uncle the airport officials might stop me and ask about why I am not being accompanied with my mother, considering it is her reason I am there. They have the files and details on there right?

I just hope youre right.

If the following are true:

- You will not work illegally.

- You will be in the US solely for purposes of tourism/visit/medical and/or business.

- You will leave the US before the date on your I-94.

Then it does not matter who you travel with, when you travel, or what you do in the US. No one really cares why you go, as long as the above three are true.

Whether you choose to spend your trip surfing in Hawaii, birdwatching in Florida, hunting in Alaska, visiting every ride at Disneyland, or visit your uncle is irrelevant.

There is no such thing as an "accompany-a-tourist" visa. There is only a tourist visa. As long as you fall within that category, everything is else is irrelevant.

Put it this way - You weren't granted a visa for the purpose of accompanying your mom.

You were granted a visa because the consular officer believed that you would not work or overstay.

Plain and simple.

Edited by Yang-Ja

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Your Uncle is wrong.

How 'well traveled' are you?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Your Uncle is wrong.

How 'well traveled' are you?

Recent: Canada two years

Most of Europe

Thailand

As a young boy: almost everywhere imaginable. My father was a Captain on a merchant marine vessel and the years 92-93 I lived the entirety on a ship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.