LucidDreams

Is Shipping USPS to Phils Safe via Registered Mail?

39 posts in this topic

Bummer. I sent a package last week via USPS Express Priortity. They assured me (of course), that it would be fine to arrive safely. But after reading this thread, I'm not optimistic she is going to receive it, or if she does, she isn't going to have to pay large fees to pick it up. I should have looked into in more sad.png

Don't give up hope, there are things I've sent that have gone without a hitch. Many goods are subject to import duties though, and it is likely there will be a duty fee to be paid. As long as its not being over inflated to line someone's pocket, they can be rather reasonable depending on what you sent. Balikbayan box is really the best way to send to avoid fees, just make sure its a reputable company.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

The catch is when you fill out the customs form, if you put the "real value" they are going to charge you a huge amount. Keeping the value as low as possible helps with customs fees, but if its stolen you will get nothing in return if you do that. Also, sometimes they demand a receipt, you can type up a fake one for a really low amount and sometimes pass this off to avoid the insane customs fees (sometimes the fees are higher than the item is worth)

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Thanks for the replies!

Has anybody had any actual experience mailing valuables with Priority Registered Mail via USPS? I

Do not use USPS because they do NOT deliver in the Phils...it is turned over to the normal mail carriers in PI, and usually...it disappears.

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Regarding number "you're not supposed to send cell phones via the postal service," it is perfeectly acceptable to ship lithium batteries "that are properly installed in the equipment they are intended to operate may be sent internationally." So, if the battery is in the cell phone it's okay, but outside of the cell phone it is not okay. Source: I called my local USPS and also here: http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22350/html/updt_002.htm

I like the idea of not declaring the iPhone, however, I'm worried that since registered mail is insured then if I don't claim it and it's lost then I would get anything really back.

Number 1, you're not supposed to send cell phones via the postal service as they have lithium batteries and postal regulations say thats a no no.

Number 2, declaring the phone will probably result in custom duties above the value of the phone.

Number 3, US postal guarantees end as soon as they hand the package off to FilPost in Manila.

Number 4, all the delivery companies, including the postal service have had trouble with theft and or extorted fees.

Given all that, we just sent a small package to my sister in law via the postal service. We declared the vitamins, shirts, and other small items. We did not declare the unlocked iPhone 4S we sent. That is just asking for it never to arrive, or a huge customs fee and likely an extortion fee on top of that. We've been at this game for a while now. My sister in law was charged like 200P duty on the items we shipped. Packages through the postal service always make it to the recipient for us, although customs fees and extortion fees are common where my wife's family lives in Davao City. Cards sent to that same location stand only about a 50% chance of making it, as they're grabbed up looking for inserted cash.

All shippers into the Philippines are supposed to be collecting custom duties on the items being shipped. So don't think that just changing shippers exempts you from duties. The problem comes in when the local delivery people take a 500P duty and turn it into 1000P or 5000P duty. Or a duty free item and turn it into a big duty. Like when I time I mistakenly wrote immigration documents on the customs for and my now wife was charged 5000P to get them. There is no duty on documents, but when they saw immigration, they saw many pisos to be made.

If you want your package to arrive, what I suggest is list a few things they can charge a duty on, even maybe a little over charging to, if its the custom in the area. But leave off those big ticket items that flag the package for theft and/or extortion fees. Yes there's a chance it may never arrive, and different shippers have differing levels of reliability to get it there depending on location.

Let everything about you breathe the calm and peace of the soul.

I never heard of LBC, but I just looked them up. Their two nearest locations are both an hour away. Also, their cost calculator on their homepage is only for Phils to Phils, not international.

http://www.lbcexpress.com/

Mail is unreliable

If you try to send that stuff Fedex or DHL, good chance customs is going to cost you $$$$$

Put together a balikbayan Box. About 75-95 bucks door to door depending on where you are.

Fill it up with cool stuff. You don't have to spend a fortune. Go to Sams and get big boxes of Candy etc.

Are there any Asian stores near you? More than likely the sell the Boxes or can tell you who to call. I bet there is an LBC guy in your area . I live in Mid-Ga, and all the Phil-Am couples just know who the guy is. I think he takes them to Jacksonville.

Your experience is truly unique with using the mail. I read of many, many more that have a much less successful venture.

It is only Priority Registered Mail until it leaves the USA, then it is whatever when it arrives in the hands of PhilPost. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

Yes what Hank and Patriot said..The Pinoy post office is famous for American mail disappearing.

Edited by The conciliator

Thanks for the replies!

Has anybody had any actual experience mailing valuables with Priority Registered Mail via USPS? I

I have had experience and it has been 50/50. Sometimes it gets there and sometimes it doesn't. Just the luck of the draw. If you want it to arrive safely, use LBC. It's worth the one hour drive and you can ship just about any size box (of course within reason) to her so you may want to include some other items that you have been thinking of sending her. LBC is great!

I stopped shipping things to her because they were always stolen or the custom tax was sky high. I think some of that money that we payed was going to the employee and the other half was going to Uncle Phil. Now we send to her cousins because they are always going back and forth to the Phil and they hand carry small packages for me.

Good luck.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

I sent everything by USPS and we never had a problem. It just took 2-4 weeks, And Priority Mail took just as long or longer as regular mail. But then we had a higher power on our side, so it all worked out for us.

Regarding number "you're not supposed to send cell phones via the postal service," it is perfeectly acceptable to ship lithium batteries "that are properly installed in the equipment they are intended to operate may be sent internationally." So, if the battery is in the cell phone it's okay, but outside of the cell phone it is not okay. Source: I called my local USPS and also here: http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22350/html/updt_002.htm

I like the idea of not declaring the iPhone, however, I'm worried that since registered mail is insured then if I don't claim it and it's lost then I would get anything really back.

Interesting, my local post office has a sign posted that specifically states cell phones cannot be shipped. Even has the red circle with a slash over the cell phone picture. I guess they haven't updated their posters in a couple years.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

USPS may insure within the USA but I bet that insurance doesn't work once PhilPost has it.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

USPS may insure within the USA but I bet that insurance doesn't work once PhilPost has it.

That insurance is worthless when leaving the country. The post office need only say it was handed off to the other country's post office and thats where the responsibility ends. I once had a guaranteed delivery date to the Philippines. Tracking showed the package sat in Chicago for two months, well past the guaranteed date, I couldn't even get my postage back because it was leaving the country and it didn't matter if it sat in some facility in the USA. Don't waste money on insured delivery with USPS if its going overseas.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Most of the items I've sent USPS never made it to my wife's parents address in Samar. The things we've sent to Iligan City did make it. I'm not going to pay Fedex $100 for a few ounces when I can send 100 lbs. for the same price.

We send everything by balakbayan now. If we're in a big hurry we just send money with Xoom.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

My husband sent me a laptop for xmas two years ago and it was delivered to my house, I didn't have to pay customs (just 40P but I forgot what it was for) and I was able to track the package the whole time. It was still pretty stressful just because I knew the value of the package and I knew that there are sharks in PhilPost. My husband had the package insured and listed the contents as jeans.

Just make sure the package is insured (PhilPost peeps will be discouraged to mess with it) and that you have a tracking number. Also take note where the package will be sorted in the Philippines so you'll know who to harass when it gets here.

Edited by SennaBrigante

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

Your experience is truly unique with using the mail. I read of many, many more that have a much less successful venture.

It is only Priority Registered Mail until it leaves the USA, then it is whatever when it arrives in the hands of PhilPost. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

I think the key is generic and low $ values on customs form but yea, both packages for to her in 2 weeks. USPS Flat Rate International.

3 clothes $50

shoes $30

paperwork $0

I never claimed the perfumes, body sprays, jewelry or stuff that would get someones attention to take a look inside.

You right. I was in the P.O. yesterday and asked

Most of the items I've sent USPS never made it to my wife's parents address in Samar. The things we've sent to Iligan City did make it. I'm not going to pay Fedex $100 for a few ounces when I can send 100 lbs. for the same price.

We send everything by balakbayan now. If we're in a big hurry we just send money with Xoom.

and that my friend is what most of us that have been in the game for a bit do

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.