Zentastic

K1 Visa: In Review. Some questions...

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

On Oct 29, my fiance completed her interview at the embassy in Manila. At which point she was told that her visa was 'In Review'. I have a few questions and concerns:

Is this "Administrative Processing"?

They kept her passport, is that normal?

I checked the CEAC site, and entered the AA#, at which point a page pops up saying "No Status". Is that normal as well? I would assume it would say "Administrative Processing" if that were the case.

I have called both the Embassy help line as well as DOS and could not really get any answers from either. Any help would be appreciated as to what exactly may or may not be going on, because a bit in the dark here.

Thanks!

Ari

Timeline

Ah. I thought they were processed under the NIV. I did as you suggested and inserted the MNL#. At which point a page pops up stating: Ready. Stating that they are ready for the medical/interview. But she has already had her interview/medical. Shouldn't it read "Administrative Processing", or do they not change update it until you are either approved or denied?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ah. I thought they were processed under the NIV. I did as you suggested and inserted the MNL#. At which point a page pops up stating: Ready. Stating that they are ready for the medical/interview. But she has already had her interview/medical. Shouldn't it read "Administrative Processing", or do they not change update it until you are either approved or denied?

Hello @Zentastic! From what we read, the next CEAC status after Ready will be Issued :)

Under IV, what is the case creation date? Our case creation date prior to interview was November 1st. After interview, it changed to November 20th with a status of Administrative Processing.

So check your case creation date and who knows, it might change to Issued later or in the next few days...

Timeline

Hello @Zentastic! From what we read, the next CEAC status after Ready will be Issued smile.png

Under IV, what is the case creation date? Our case creation date prior to interview was November 1st. After interview, it changed to November 20th with a status of Administrative Processing.

So check your case creation date and who knows, it might change to Issued later or in the next few days...

The case creation date was October 16th, and the status was updated apparently on November 19th to Ready. Thanks for the information and help.

Timeline

Was she told that she was approved by the U.S. consular officer?

No. The Officer told her nothing really, just to wait. Then she was called to a window 2-3 times, each time nothing was said to her. She was looked at, then they looked at the screen. Then she was told to go sit again and would be called. After a long wait, she was called once more and told that he visa was "In Review". And had to be sent to Washington. Pretty much it.

Needless to say, she called me crying. Thus prompting my call to both the Embassy and DOS. Which they really did not know what was going on. Except that the DOS guy said they should have never told her the "In Review" and left her hanging. Which made me laugh because he didn't clarify exactly what was going on either.

No. The Officer told her nothing really, just to wait. Then she was called to a window 2-3 times, each time nothing was said to her. She was looked at, then they looked at the screen. Then she was told to go sit again and would be called. After a long wait, she was called once more and told that he visa was "In Review". And had to be sent to Washington. Pretty much it.

Needless to say, she called me crying. Thus prompting my call to both the Embassy and DOS. Which they really did not know what was going on. Except that the DOS guy said they should have never told her the "In Review" and left her hanging. Which made me laugh because he didn't clarify exactly what was going on either.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't sound good, especially the "sent to Washington" part. Usually they tell you that you are approved or tell you what additional thing they need from you such as a missing document or proof of sufficient income. So yes, it does sound like a prolonged case of administrative processing. Is there any clue fromt the questions asked her by the consular officer during the interview that you or she can think of that indicated what worried them? Like if they asked the same thing over and over again, or if they focused on one particular area, etc? The good news is that they kept your passport though.

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't sound good, especially the "sent to Washington" part. Usually they tell you that you are approved or tell you what additional thing they need from you such as a missing document or proof of sufficient income. So yes, it does sound like a prolonged case of administrative processing. Is there any clue fromt the questions asked her by the consular officer during the interview that you or she can think of that indicated what worried them? Like if they asked the same thing over and over again, or if they focused on one particular area, etc? The good news is that they kept your passport though.

I had a legal name change. And she said that seemed to bother them. It was part of a repudiation process. (divorcing of family). They (personnel at the embassy) said I did not have to change my name due to the process. Though my lawyer strongly recommended doing so at the time to show how seriously committed I was.

Anyhow. I think that may have been what made them decide to kick it up the chain so-to-speak. Just was curious to how long I likely have to look forward to being in limbo. When I called the guy at the DOS, which was the same day of the interview, he pretty much said he had no information, and to call back in 90 days or so. Felt a bit poleaxed at that point. But he did mention that nothing additional was needed from me or they would have said so.

There are a few other things as well. We weren't intermingled on our social networking. Something she did not want to do until we were actually married. Which could explain the looking at the screen, then back at her part. They might have checked and thought that two people that were getting married should be more firmly networked. Don't know.

Could be previous military service as well. Have been denied entry into Canada and a few other countries and even threatened with imprisonment if I attempted returning. That was mainly due to the SpecOps unit I was with. However, I do not think that would impact my own government making a decision of this nature. Think it would be the opposite honestly. My passport came in 16 days after I applied for it and I did not accelerate it. So I do not think there is an issue there.

Well. I do have one paid parking ticket from around 20 years ago. Maybe that is it.

Am just hoping it is the name change issue, and the guy at the embassy figured the final decision was above his pay grade due to it.

I had a legal name change. And she said that seemed to bother them. It was part of a repudiation process. (divorcing of family). They (personnel at the embassy) said I did not have to change my name due to the process. Though my lawyer strongly recommended doing so at the time to show how seriously committed I was.

Anyhow. I think that may have been what made them decide to kick it up the chain so-to-speak. Just was curious to how long I likely have to look forward to being in limbo. When I called the guy at the DOS, which was the same day of the interview, he pretty much said he had no information, and to call back in 90 days or so. Felt a bit poleaxed at that point. But he did mention that nothing additional was needed from me or they would have said so.

There are a few other things as well. We weren't intermingled on our social networking. Something she did not want to do until we were actually married. Which could explain the looking at the screen, then back at her part. They might have checked and thought that two people that were getting married should be more firmly networked. Don't know.

Could be previous military service as well. Have been denied entry into Canada and a few other countries and even threatened with imprisonment if I attempted returning. That was mainly due to the SpecOps unit I was with. However, I do not think that would impact my own government making a decision of this nature. Think it would be the opposite honestly. My passport came in 16 days after I applied for it and I did not accelerate it. So I do not think there is an issue there.

Well. I do have one paid parking ticket from around 20 years ago. Maybe that is it.

Am just hoping it is the name change issue, and the guy at the embassy figured the final decision was above his pay grade due to it.

I think you pretty much hit it. They will be conducting additional background checks.

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

I think you pretty much hit it. They will be conducting additional background checks.

Evil parking tickets! I knew it!

Okay, thanks for the help. Guess I will just sit quietly in Limbo and conduct additional mediating whilst they conduct their additionals.

Evil parking tickets! I knew it!

Okay, thanks for the help. Guess I will just sit quietly in Limbo and conduct additional mediating whilst they conduct their additionals.

I think the name change is the main thing. Keep your head up though. Like I say, they kept her passport, so that's good. So just let them do their thing. They will find out what they need to find out, and when it all turns out good, she'll get her visa.

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Waivers/AP forum, on the basis of the details known thus far. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

On Oct 29, my fiance completed her interview at the embassy in Manila. At which point she was told that her visa was 'In Review'. I have a few questions and concerns:

I checked the CEAC site, and entered the AA#, at which point a page pops up saying "No Status". Is that normal as well? I would assume it would say "Administrative Processing" if that were the case.

I have called both the Embassy help line as well as DOS and could not really get any answers from either. Any help would be appreciated as to what exactly may or may not be going on, because a bit in the dark here.

Thanks!

Ari

K1 Visa
Service Center: VSC
Consulate: Manila, Philippines

--------------------------------------------

2013-04-15: AOS Delivered
2013-04-23: Text/Email Arrived -> 11:23PM

2013-04-29: NOA HardCopies Arrived (USPS)

2013-05-03: Biometrics Appointment Letter Rec'd

2013-05-24: Biometrics Complete

2013-06-13: EAD Card in Production

2013-06-19: EAD Card is in the Mail

2013-06-21: EAD/AP Card Arrived! -> 67 days

2013-08-07: SSN/Card Received

2013-08-09: State ID Card Issued

2013-09-06: Interview Waiver Letter Rec'd

2013-10-25: Interview Scheduled

2106-03-03: Divorced

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks

after the interview, if she's not approved yet, and say they have to review, embassy will probably take her passport, and after the review if she has missing something or are denied her passport will give back, after my interview before, i was told that my visa was approved which is written to my appointment letter after. but one of the girl there wasn't approved yet, and she was told that her documents are going to be reviewed first. so embassy people take her passport and wait for call to be approved. and after a 2days, the girl that i meet during interview been received a call and say, she was approved... its normal processing, just wait a little bit, i know how hard to wait... good luck guys!

K1 Visa
Service Center: VSC
Consulate: Manila, Philippines

--------------------------------------------

2013-04-15: AOS Delivered
2013-04-23: Text/Email Arrived -> 11:23PM

2013-04-29: NOA HardCopies Arrived (USPS)

2013-05-03: Biometrics Appointment Letter Rec'd

2013-05-24: Biometrics Complete

2013-06-13: EAD Card in Production

2013-06-19: EAD Card is in the Mail

2013-06-21: EAD/AP Card Arrived! -> 67 days

2013-08-07: SSN/Card Received

2013-08-09: State ID Card Issued

2013-09-06: Interview Waiver Letter Rec'd

2013-10-25: Interview Scheduled

2106-03-03: Divorced

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.