MoMe

applying for F1

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I applied at Lincoln university in Oakland, CA for MBA program, Information Systems Management.... a 3 year program and (internship) means I work 40 hours/week but work must be in my field of study (called CPT program)

I am working at Telecom Egypt, 31 years old , my IELTS score is 6.5 I am waiting for my I-20 as I payed the tuition

do I have to get a promising letter from my company ? I mean it doesnt make sense, no position will wait for me 3 years, I need to get the degree first then look for opportunity that fits my qualifications right ?

I have my personal bank statement, but I am really really worried of the embassy stage !!!! I need advises on what to do

thanks guys

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Which company are you asking about, the one that you will do your internship with or your company in Egypt?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

You cannot get an F-1 visa for any other reason than to enter the US seeking a degree. Your I-20 and F-1 visa will be issued for you to seek a Master's degree at Lincoln University, and nothing else. If this degree includes an internship, you can apply for work authorization through CPT once you're in the US. After you graduate, you may apply for post-completion OPT if you want.

I am assuming that you are talking about a promising letter from your company in Egypt. You really don't need any promising letter from any company, however it may be a good thing to bring if it states that they are aware of your academic plans, and that they do expect you back at the end of your studies. You say it "makes no sense" and you're right in that the US embassy will not take it as any guarantee. But at least it shows that you have job prospects back in Egypt, and helps to build an impression that you have a plan.

Edited by yang-ja

Timeline

well I was talking about my company, Telecom Egypt, but I said none sense because no position waits for someone for 3 years and in fact I wanted that degree to get a better position in a bigger company in Cairo like Ernest and Young or IBM consulting, I would really like to work for that

and I am saying I am seriously worried and nervous about the interview ( I am still waiting the I-20) and I need advise about that

I just had my passport 2 months ago and it says that I am working at TE, do I need any other confirmation that I am still working for the company ? I think my interview might be in the first half of December 2013

Thank you !!!

Do Egyptian passports normally list your employer? If so, I'd assume that's a fairly good indicator that you do work for TE. A job contract, letter or a recent pay stub would suffice too. I don't know how useful that would be at the interview, except showing that you have experience in your field, as well as job prospects in Egypt upon your return.

Even if your company wrote you a guarantee of employment upon return to Egypt, it wouldn't make much of a difference, as they cannot guarantee that you will actually take the job, and the US cannot cannot enforce it. Don't focus on "guarantees" but rather on building the impression that you have strong ties and great prospects in Egypt to return to.

Edited by yang-ja

• 3 months later...
Timeline

hello again

I had the interview on Jan 21st. and it was very short less than three minutes, she was talking in Arabic but I replied in English, she asked about the school location, my current job, and the money, she didn't ask me to show any paper except the I-20 and the SEVIS receipt, I tried to show the bank statement but she didn't even look. and then said that she agrees on my case, and I received the passport with visa on it after five days.

question: why did that happen, I mean in Egypt they reject more than 95% of applications, and i didn't have any visas before on my passport, but of course I am happy and thankful for your advises here.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

MoMe, the Interviewing Officers at embassy are like everyone else.

Sometimes they decide to look at a lot of the stuff you present, and sometimes they only look at a few things.

Their decisions can also be just as capricious as anyone else's.

A bad hair day can result in a lot of rejections; a happy love life could result in mostly acceptances.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

hello again

I had the interview on Jan 21st. and it was very short less than three minutes, she was talking in Arabic but I replied in English, she asked about the school location, my current job, and the money, she didn't ask me to show any paper except the I-20 and the SEVIS receipt, I tried to show the bank statement but she didn't even look. and then said that she agrees on my case, and I received the passport with visa on it after five days.

question: why did that happen, I mean in Egypt they reject more than 95% of applications, and i didn't have any visas before on my passport, but of course I am happy and thankful for your advises here.

in Egypt, they reject 95% of the applications ?! Actually, your case is not rare in Asian countries. For F1 interview, most of IO will ask only transcript. Bank statement and financial support stuff are only required when the applicants don't have a very good education performance. smile.png

Edited by lasko12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.