GandD

Personal Impact of the ACA for VJ Users

118 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

They say rising cost of healthcare, increased MRIs, and new healthcare fees. I am also pissed because we have not used our insurance hardly at all, so I feel like I paid into the system for a while without using it and now I am being screwed over.

Is this through an employer or are you in the individual market?

I just spoke to my mom, her employer is canceling her garbage insurance as of 1/1. Initially they told her she had it till 6/30.

It's no BIG deal since we were planning to get her on the exchanges anyway but now I have to hurry up and do it.

They say rising cost of healthcare, increased MRIs, and new healthcare fees. I am also pissed because we have not used our insurance hardly at all, so I feel like I paid into the system for a while without using it and now I am being screwed over.

Odd. If these were the reasons, one would think that insurance cost would rise significantly across the board. But that is clearly not the case as my premiums have gone up just under 3%. Same plan, same insurer, same benefits, same deductibles. No changes whatsoever except that the premium increase was below the increases seen in years past.

Is this through an employer or are you in the individual market?

I just spoke to my mom, her employer is canceling her garbage insurance as of 1/1. Initially they told her she had it till 6/30.

It's no BIG deal since we were planning to get her on the exchanges anyway but now I have to hurry up and do it.

Employer.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Employer.

Is the employer / employee contribution ratio the same or is your employer using this opportunity to shift more of the cost of the insurance to the employees under the cover of the ACA? That's not unheard of.

Double premium in employer healthcare? That is very unusual. I wonder if your employer has substantially reduced its contribution.

Indeed.

Double premium in employer healthcare? That is very unusual. I wonder if your employer has substantially reduced its contribution. Do you know that?

Nope, I don't know. It's also possible that they are keeping it the same and passing off the increase on to the employees. But they are a good employer and generally treat their workers very well, so idk what gives. My husband gets 4 weeks of paid vacation and he likes the work so I don't think he is keen to give up the job.

We had a low-level plan, and the higher level option the employer offers is also going up the same percent amount. It was $500 and now it will be $1000.

I am hounding my husband to ask but he doesn't want to so he is dragging his feet. He says they are having a healthcare fair today.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

We are paying $302/month. The plan for a single person is about $100, so I thought adding $200 for just a spouse was high already. Now the plan will be $570.

I hesitate to say the amount because if someone comes and says it was cheap then I will be mad. We have a lot of expenses with a high cost of living, student loans, international family, etc. I feel like we live modestly. We don't have a car, or cable, and we have a pay-as-you-go cell phone.

I pay less, but it's an employer-based plan, so if you add their share, it's well over $302/month [edit: sorry, I see now yours is employer-based as well].

Also, to add my spouse (when he arrives) would be 3-4 times that (I renewed nearly a year ago so I don't remember the exact number except that it was nearly what I pay in rent each month, which means he will likely be going without insurance until he gets his work authorization).

I also very, very rarely use my insurance. But I've always felt screwed over by this system so that feeling is nothing new for me laughing.gif

Edited by Protocol417

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Nope, I don't know. It's also possible that they are keeping it the same and passing off the increase on to the employees. But they are a good employer and generally treat their workers very well, so idk what gives.

We had a low-level plan, and the higher level option the employer offers is also going up the same amount. IT was $500 and now it will be $1000.

I am hounding my husband to ask but he doesn't want to so he is dragging his feet. He says they are having a healthcare fair today.

Those fairs are useless. Just promotional events where they answer only the most basic questions ("what's a deductible?") and hand out branded trinkets. My daughter has a Horizon Blue Cross branded rubber horse she enjoys to play with. That's literally all I got out of our fair.

I pay less, but it's an employer-based plan, so if you add their share, it's well over $302/month. Also, to add my spouse (when he arrives) would be 3-4 times that (I renewed nearly a year ago so I don't remember the exact number except that it was nearly what I pay in rent each month, which means he will likely be going without insurance until he gets his work authorization).

I also very, very rarely use my insurance. But I've always felt screwed over by this system so that feeling is nothing new for me laughing.gif

My figure doesn't include their share.

Those fairs are useless. Just promotional events where they answer only the most basic questions ("what's a deductible?") and hand out branded trinkets. My daughter has a Horizon Blue Cross branded rubber horse she enjoys to play with. That's literally all I got out of our fair.

I know, but maybe it will motivate him to ask his boss. Or maybe he will see people grumbling and act.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Unless he works for HR's benefits department, why would his boss know?

:S You know what I mean. The misguided nitpickery on this site is astounding.

Edit: Oh, now I see who you are. Don't pester me :P I still like your avatar though.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

My figure doesn't include their share.

Sorry, I just saw the other comments.

I also realized I was comparing my single plan to what it costs for you and your spouse. My current plan costs me about $160-$180/mo, and is literally the cheapest plan my company offers.

Like I said, I don't remember the exact cost of adding my spouse (-to-be). I just remember having a minor heart attack and realizing there was no way we could afford adding him to my plan, possibly even after he gets his work authorization.

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015