Arazia

I-134 & Pay stubs?

24 posts in this topic

Where does it say to submit "proof of current emloyment and earnings" ?

London, for example, does ask for at least two of the following, to "substantiate the information regarding income and resources" (which sounds similar to what you asked, at least to me). It's important to remember that what is requested varies from embassy to embassy.

* notarized copies of his or her latest federal income tax return;

* a statement from his or her employer showing salary and the length and permanency of employment;

* a statement from an officer of a bank regarding his or her account, the date the account was opened and the present balance;

* any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his or her undertaking toward the applicant for what might be an indefinite period of time.

I'd say pay stubs fall into that last category, even if they aren't specifically asked for. Some embassies and consulates may not take even a glance at them, others may specifically request it, some may just take it into context with the employer letter-- I'm not sure if the OP's consulate's website may say that pay stubs are required or not.

I'm personally going to cover all bases and send all of the above, because I feel my bank statement is weak (Thanks for nothing, National City), because the income has changed from last years taxes (about the same amount but part of the income we have is non taxable, and thats covering what we lost), and because the employment situation is a bit hard to understand without having at least 10 sheets of paper that document the exact situation. No guarantee they'll accept any of it or even ask for any of it, but it's better to have it available on the chance they do ask.

As for how many pay stubs I'm sending, technically, it's going to be around 12-15, but as mentioned, my case is a little more detailed than others, and all paychecks are bundled together in groups of 3 and 4 which correlates with the Workmans Comp paychecks that go alongside it.

UNST0001.gifbritkit.jpgUNKG0001.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Where does it say to submit "proof of current emloyment and earnings" ?

London, for example, does ask for at least two of the following, to "substantiate the information regarding income and resources" (which sounds similar to what you asked, at least to me). It's important to remember that what is requested varies from embassy to embassy.

* notarized copies of his or her latest federal income tax return;

* a statement from his or her employer showing salary and the length and permanency of employment;

* a statement from an officer of a bank regarding his or her account, the date the account was opened and the present balance;

* any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his or her undertaking toward the applicant for what might be an indefinite period of time.

I'd say pay stubs fall into that last category, even if they aren't specifically asked for. Some embassies and consulates may not take even a glance at them, others may specifically request it, some may just take it into context with the employer letter-- I'm not sure if the OP's consulate's website may say that pay stubs are required or not.

I'm personally going to cover all bases and send all of the above, because I feel my bank statement is weak (Thanks for nothing, National City), because the income has changed from last years taxes (about the same amount but part of the income we have is non taxable, and thats covering what we lost), and because the employment situation is a bit hard to understand without having at least 10 sheets of paper that document the exact situation. No guarantee they'll accept any of it or even ask for any of it, but it's better to have it available on the chance they do ask.

As for how many pay stubs I'm sending, technically, it's going to be around 12-15, but as mentioned, my case is a little more detailed than others, and all paychecks are bundled together in groups of 3 and 4 which correlates with the Workmans Comp paychecks that go alongside it.

The topic of this thread specifically refers to the I-134, not other requirements that the particular consulate may or may not have on thier particular instrucion page.

I dont even believe the UK requires an affidavit of support, thus, they have established thier own rules. Generally speaking, so far as I can tell, people seeking to bring immgrants from poorer, (3rd world), countries are required to provide the affidavit.

Bill

Edited by TucsonBill

I-129f Journey:

2006-07-17 I-129F sent to CSC

2006-07-24 NOA1 (received)

2006-10-05 RFE (received)

2006-10-06 RFE (returned to CSC)

2006-10-23 NOA2

2007-01-29 Visa Approved!

2007-02-17 Ceremony in Thailand

2007-02-21 POE LAX - Fiance and her daughter enter the USA together, Easy-Peasy!

2007-03-05 Wedding in USA

AOS Journey:

2007-06-07 AOS for spouse and daughter sent

2007-06-16 NOA's arrive, (issued on the 13th)

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-07-13 Received RFE (Mailed on July 3rd)

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

2007-10-16 Interview date

2007-10-27 Green Cards Received!

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-07-24 Joint I-751 for spouse and daughter sent

2009-08-03 Received NOA1 dated 7/27/09

2009-08-03 Received Receipt and one year extension for wife

2009-08-03 Received "Verification Of Incusion Of A Dependent" for step-daughter

2009-08-27 Biometrics

2009-11-13 Green Cards Received

Citizenship Journey:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Generally speaking, so far as I can tell, people seeking to bring immgrants from poorer, (3rd world), countries are required to provide the affidavit.

Bill

Man the folks in Canada are gonna be pissed when they find out they didn't get the memo that they have been reclassified as a " poorer, (3rd world), " country.

google.gif

Timeline
Generally speaking, so far as I can tell, people seeking to bring immgrants from poorer, (3rd world), countries are required to provide the affidavit.

Bill

Man the folks in Canada are gonna be pissed when they find out they didn't get the memo that they have been reclassified as a " poorer, (3rd world), " country.

LOL - I was going to add "(like Canadians)" right after where I said ," poorer, (3rd world), " country but I didn't hit the edit key in time after I thought of it :P

Actually, I think the correct term is 'high risk' countries. I honestly don't know why they requre it for Canada, except that its so close to the US border I'd suppose we get more illegal immigrants from Canada than the UK.

Bill

Edited by TucsonBill

I-129f Journey:

2006-10-23 NOA2

2007-02-21 POE LAX - Fiance and her daughter enter the USA together, Easy-Peasy!

AOS Journey:

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-08-27 Biometrics

Citizenship Journey:

The topic of this thread specifically refers to the I-134, not other requirements that the particular consulate may or may not have on thier particular instrucion page.

I would imagine, however, that they're considering that they've seen lots of other people use pay stubs in combination WITH the I-134. As I quoted from London's page, those documents are for the I-134. "the sponsor should attached two or more of the following items to the affidavit". That says to me that it is a requirement for at least London's I-134, so you can't make a blanket statement that no one wants pay stubs.

I was merely giving an example of why some people may choose to use pay stubs, which you seemed to think was wrong or unnecessary-- It's actually correct with at least one major Embassy, probably more. I was not replying to the original post so much, but rather, to the question you asked.

I dont even believe the UK requires an affidavit of support, thus, they have established thier own rules.

Someone's visa in London was just temporarily denied pending an I-134, ergo, the I-134 is required at London. The person in question didn't have time to get one together and thought theycould get by without it. They didn't.

Even the embassy site says "Persons in the U.S. who wish to furnish sponsorship of a fiancee or Kii visa applicant in the form of an affidavit of support should use form I-134 which is available from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services." They also mention an option for a sworn affidavit, but I've never seen anyone go that route and the information on that particular piece of info on their website could be out of date. So, yes, although they have their own rules (as it seems every consulate does), my point still stands-- There ARE places that say "other evidence adequate to establish financial ability" or similar wording, so its not like some people are just completely making up the need for pay stubs and other 'useless' evidence.

Edited by jezebelseven
UNST0001.gifbritkit.jpgUNKG0001.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If London requires the I-134 , I would assume they will send you an I-134 in your packet 3.

If I understand the requirements properly, the pay stubs should indicate your ability to maintain your income at its current level and tax records and/or an employer letter indicate your past history of employment. Combined, those items give an accurate indication of past and present work patterns and in that hopefully allow them to gauge your stability as a sponsor. My thinking on it says that, say you had a job that provided sufficient income to sponsor an immigrant in 2006, your tax records would indicate that as would an employment letter. Now lets say you lost that job on Jan 1 2007, obviously you wouldn't have the ability to qualify as a sponsor, but that information wouldn't be indicated on your tax return/transcript. That's where current pay stubs as well as an employment letter provide a clear indication of the circumstances.

I don't think the instructions CLEARLY indicate a cut and dry requirement of what's required as evidence but I would imagine pay stubs reflecting a couple months of steady income would be beneficial.

:)

google.gif

Timeline
If London requires the I-134 , I would assume they will send you an I-134 in your packet 3.

If I understand the requirements properly, the pay stubs should indicate your ability to maintain your income at its current level and tax records and/or an employer letter indicate your past history of employment. Combined, those items give an accurate indication of past and present work patterns and in that hopefully allow them to gauge your stability as a sponsor. My thinking on it says that, say you had a job that provided sufficient income to sponsor an immigrant in 2006, your tax records would indicate that as would an employment letter. Now lets say you lost that job on Jan 1 2007, obviously you wouldn't have the ability to qualify as a sponsor, but that information wouldn't be indicated on your tax return/transcript. That's where current pay stubs as well as an employment letter provide a clear indication of the circumstances.

I don't think the instructions CLEARLY indicate a cut and dry requirement of what's required as evidence but I would imagine pay stubs reflecting a couple months of steady income would be beneficial.

:)

Ok, I went and looked and found this:

"An applicant for a fiancé(e), Kii or V visa is not required to file an affidavit of support, form I-864 at the time he or she applies for the visa."

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/faffidavit.html

That is the page I read on the UK, and it does go on to talk about the I-134 as being an 'option', depending on the circumstances.

I'm also getitng this thread confused with another thread in the "Foreign Embassy" discussion. In that thread, I did make it clear that pay-stubs may be beneficial as you say, I just dont believe in automatically giving them information that they dont ask for. Nothing I received from in my Thailand packet said tax returns were requred either. I have given Pao my tax returns and my pay stubs, so that if they request them at the interview, she can provide them

Another poster in that same forum, had his fiance's visa denied based on tax returns he provided, and its questionalbe whether or not the tax returns were even required. Thats a case where perhaps providing evidence the embassy did not ask for, wound up leading to a denial.

Bill

Edited by TucsonBill

I-129f Journey:

2006-10-23 NOA2

AOS Journey:

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-08-27 Biometrics

Citizenship Journey:

Some general facts on the I-134

• It is not a requirement for the K visa, even though it is often used, hence why some consulates don't use it.
  • When it is used, it is used in part to determine if the applicant will or won't become a public charge.
  • Other documentation outside of what is required on the I-134 is often required.
  • When the I-134 is used, it is often used in conjunction with other evidence i.e. pay stubs etc. to assist a conof in determining if the applicant will or won't become a public charge.
  • There is no Joint Sponsor with the I-134, only a sponsor. It is not like the I-864 where a joint sponsor may be used, or the sponsor can use household member income to meet the shortfall on the sponsors I-864. This is shown quite clearly from Manila Consulate where confusion is rampant amongst members about their non acceptance of a Joint Sponsor for the K visa. If the petitioner doesn't meet the poverty guidelines (either 100 or 125% depending on the consulate), one can use a family member (close friend in some cases) to be the sponsor, even though a conof still MAY require the petitioner to submit their own I-134. This does not mean that a joint sponsor has been used in the other person.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.