minha_raposa

Internet Based Phone Service

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've actually heard good things about these guys. I have Vonage and they piss me off.

Why? I've had them about two years now and absolutely love them. Only thing that annoys me is they've raised prices to the UK twice ... but it's still only 4¢/min. Our phone bill is nearly always under $20 and never over $25. And we have gajillions of features. And so on and so forth.

The int'l carrier/switch they use for brazil is pretty crappy. And I've had trouble accessing their site more times then I can count.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I've had Lingo for about a year now, and it is great. $20 a month, no equipment to buy, unlimited calls to a bunch of places, and never a problem calling Germany twice a day for about an hour. Also, if anybody you know signs up you both get a $25 credit, so it's essentially another free month. Also, I've brought the little modem thing to other places (friend's houses, hotels, etc), hooked it up to the internet there, and it works fine with any phone.

I dont see any reason at all to stay with Vonage or any land line company. They will always be more money.

I do like the sound of that wi-fi cell phone thing in the original post, but it would be more of a luxury than a necessity.

--K1 Filing--

9-6-05 - Mailed I-129f to Vermont Service Center

9-16-05 - NOA1 received in the mail

9-23-05 - Recieved email for NOA2

9-24-05 - Proposed! (Slightly out of order on this!)

10-11-05 - Packet 3 received in Germany

11-18-05 - Mailed Packet 3 Checklist back in

11-29-05 - Medical and Police Check Completed

1-30-06 - Interview, APPROVED!!

4-1-06 - Together in the US

6-6-06 - Married!

--AOS Filing--

6-28-06 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) and lots of $$$ to Chicago

7-7-06 - Recieved NOA1 for all 3 applications

7-26-06 - Biometrics scheduled and completed (for both EAD and AP)

9-18-06 - RFE Mailed. Need translated Birth C.

10-9-06 - RFE Sent back in, Case touched.

10-31-06 - AP and EAD Approved!

*1-23-07 - Interview Date! (received in mail on 12/4/06)

APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I do like the sound of that wi-fi cell phone thing in the original post, but it would be more of a luxury than a necessity.

I purched the W-Fi in lieu of the adapter. I guess it is kind of a luxury, but I can use it anywhere there is an open hot spot. Sure did come in handy in the Miami airport and Brasil the last time I flew down. I was able to keep my wife updated as to my location and also call back to my parents from a shopping mall in Brasil. Mostly though, we just use it at home.

Mike

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

With all this talk of VoIP going round at the moment, please ensure that your VoIP phone provider gives you E911. If you're completely confused, check out these links:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/voip.html

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/voip911.html

http://www.fcc.gov/voip/

http://www.redskytech.com/solutions/

http://www.voip-avaya.com/voip_overview.php

http://www.voipplanet.com/backgrounders/article.php/3568751

If your provider does not offer E911 yet, get onto them! Hassle them to make sure you're safe!!!

(I sell Avaya phone systems, so trust me on this one!)

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Vonage adapter and will be sending it to my fiance in the Philippines. For $25/month she will have a US number and we can talk all we want. I hadn't heard of the complaints about the quality. I hope I didn't make a mistake there. But I am getting tired of the $200+/month phone bills.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I just bought a Vonage adapter and will be sending it to my fiance in the Philippines. For $25/month she will have a US number and we can talk all we want. I hadn't heard of the complaints about the quality. I hope I didn't make a mistake there. But I am getting tired of the $200+/month phone bills.

we've used vonage since late january and the quality is great. however, the DSL provider in the Philippines is not always great. sometimes the DSL connection doesn't work and you have to login using a computer to reconnect (i don't know why this happens, i thought DSL connection is always on and you won't need to login again.) there are times when the connection is choppy but you can re-adjust your broadband usage if that happens a lot. all in all...vonage is great and it saved us a lot of money.

Edited by mychelle

Fate is building a bridge of chance for the one you love...

K1 (I-129F) to CSC to Manila Embassy, Philippines

Sent : 01-28-2006 / Interview: 09-14-2006 / POE: 10-11-2006 / Applied for SSN card: 11-17-2006 / Received SSN card: 11-27-2006 / Got Hitched: 11-09-2006 !!!

AOS and EAD Application

Sent via USPS Priority: 11-28-2006 / Received @ Chicago: 12-01-2006 / NOA1 AOS & EAD: 12-06-2006 / Biometrics Appt: 12-22-2006 / Interview Date: 03-13-2007 / EAD Card Production Ordered: 02-15-2007 / EAD Card Sent: 02-20-2007 / EAD Card Received: 02-22-2007

[Approved: 03-13-2007 / GC Received: 03-22-2007 / CA License Issued: 04-12-2007 / Removing Conditions: 12-13-2008]

Removing Conditions

Sent via USPS Priority: 12-19-2008 / Received @ CSC: 12-22-2008 / NOA: 12-25-2008 / Biometrics Appt: 01-14-2009 / Card Production ordered: 02-13-2009 / GC Received: sometime in March 2009

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I never thought of buying and shipping one out :blink:

But then Silvia never had a broadband connection, ISDN was the best she could get at a internet cafe

12/31/07: Sent I-751 packet to Texas, the LONG wait begins once again!

01/03/08: Packed received.

.png

• 4 months later...