mary81

Student Visa Facts

7 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Friends,

I was wondering how the student visa category fits under U.S immigration law. so here are the questions surrounding me, it's more focused on F1-M1 candidates;

• Have a residence abroad, with no immediate intention of abandoning that residence;

In most cases students are between the age of approx 5 to 25 years old (again more focusing on F1/M1) - How a 18 years old intending student prove owing a house (Have a residence abroad), A 18 years old in most cases is not married-has no kids, How he can prove he/she has ( no immediate intention of abandoning that residence)?

• Intend to depart from the United States upon completion of the course of study

In most cases a 18 years old just start work, they haven't got a big chuck of money banked as saving to prove he/she is returning, sure a family member will assist him/her. None of the facts that proves a non-immigrant must show ties to their home country or show they have intentions to return to their home country, in most cases could be proven by 18 years old foreign student, how they are granting visas then?

• If a prospective student have a family member (a sibling or parents no spouse or kid) in the U.S - Is that make his/her chances low to obtain visa when this family member sponsor him/her?
  • Someone got student visa, went to her visa interview the officer asked her 2 questions, looked at her I-120, receipt of SEVIS letter, passport and few pages of her sponsor documents and give her a slip to come and collect her visa in next few days, I am fully aware of her situation, that: she is 19 years old - has 0 cash in her own account - single - she has a sponsor in U.S - doesn't own a house or asset, then how they didn't go that deep with asking all these questions, total interview time maximum 3 minutes?
  • Is choosing a private university vs a community college (funded by the government) a key factor making a CO decision in favor of prospective student?

Please share few minutes of your valuable time by adding your. Much appreciated!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have a residence abroad, with no immediate intention of abandoning that residence

Usually that for an 18 year old would be the family home.

I would say having family in the US would not help, depends on the case.

Non Immigrant Visa interviews are usually a few minutes.

It seems all the cases I have seen involving Community Colleges the Student aspect has been secondary. There are no doubt exceptions.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Usually that for an 18 year old would be the family home. Ok

I would say having family in the US would not help, depends on the case.

So having a parent will make it hard to believe the applicant will return?

Non Immigrant Visa interviews are usually a few minutes. sounds fair.

It seems all the cases I have seen involving Community Colleges the Student aspect has been secondary. There are no doubt exceptions. Don't get it, You are saying community colleges or universities funded by the government quietly given priorities since they are benefit to the governor more?

Timeline

Why would you want to spend all that money to go to the US just to go to a Community College?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Why would you want to spend all that money to go to the US just to go to a Community College?

The applicant is only 18 years old and she can only afford a community college or a small school for her study - I guess it is inexpensive

Timeline

Much cheaper to go to college in country, no need to pay International Student rates.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Note that the term "community college" refers to a two-year school. There are government funded four-year universities. Regardless, either would charge out-of-state tuition for an international student. From what I've heard from people involved in issuing visas, they tend to look at community college applicants with a bit more scrutiny (since community colleges are cheaper, people who intend to abuse their F-1 visa usually go that route), but that fact alone can't result in a denial.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.