neal y eliana

They kept my fiancees packet!!!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi Folks,

When my fiancee (wife now! (L) ) came through immigration in Miami, they kept all of our papers (everything in the sealed envelope) , and only returned her passport. These were all our originals that we had taken to the embassy for the interview, etc. We had been told they would return them after immigration, but they just gave her the passport, she asked about the papers and they said "no".

So now I'm kind of freakin' out. Tax statements, all kinds of stuff that is hard or impossible to replace.

Has this happened to anybody? Any idea how to get them back? :help:

Thanks in advance for any advice. Oh, and I don't really need any lectures on the benefit of certified copies, etc. The damage is done now, so if anybody else can learn from my problem, great, but I already learned my lesson...

Thanks again,

Neal y Eliana

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know what to tell you since they took my entire packet (which is normal, by the way). You might be able to get the documents you want back at the AOS interview. You can get copies of your tax transcripts for free by calling a number at the IRS (it's on their website). other than that, dunno, sorry.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Hi Folks,

When my fiancee (wife now! (L) ) came through immigration in Miami, they kept all of our papers (everything in the sealed envelope) , and only returned her passport. These were all our originals that we had taken to the embassy for the interview, etc. We had been told they would return them after immigration, but they just gave her the passport, she asked about the papers and they said "no".

So now I'm kind of freakin' out. Tax statements, all kinds of stuff that is hard or impossible to replace.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Oh, and I don't really need any lectures on the benefit of certified copies, etc. The damage is done now, so if anybody else can learn from my problem, great, but I already learned my lesson...

Thanks again,

Neal y Eliana

You probably won't be able to get the documents back until you interview for adjustment of status. Another thing you might consider is that Miami is taking 2-3 years to process adjustment of status. You can get tax return transcripts. What else is in there that you need?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi Folks,

Thanks again,

Neal y Eliana

Hey buddy: You need to read all the guidelines and understand and gather as much info as you can. IMMIGRATION KEEPING ALL THE DOCUMENTS! THIS IS NORMAL. If you didn't know, you are yourselves to blame. You take the originals to the interview and produce them if asked (the smart ones also take copies and let them keep the copy of the Original.) This is true for your next stages also - You will be doing the AOS and then the permanent Green card and then (perhaps) the citizenship. So! You can still learn. And, you can get most of the documents replaced by going back to the source that issued them and paying for them. Tax Info is very easy to replace. Don't know what else you need to replace, but you are exagerating by calling it impossible to replace - even your birth certificate and passport can be replaced. Good luck in the next stages.

Edited by motu

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline

Thanks Everyone,

I didin't know it was normal, I guess I had bad info. We'll figure it out, we made it this...

Your right, impossible is a big word, a better word would have been "bothersome".

I didin't know it was so easy to get old tax info, I had all my old stuff before, so I didn't have to get it before.

Thanks again

Neal,

A tip for when you do your AOS. Submit only copies and keep the originals. USCIS will not return any original documents that you submit. You will bring these originals to the AOS interview in case the interviewing officer wants to see them.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

why did you submit originals? they just need originals to be seen at the interview and all the copies are in the sealed packet which is for immigrtaion records

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Timeline

Hi Folks,

Thanks again,

Neal y Eliana

Hey buddy: You need to read all the guidelines and understand and gather as much info as you can. IMMIGRATION KEEPING ALL THE DOCUMENTS! THIS IS NORMAL. If you didn't know, you are yourselves to blame. You take the originals to the interview and produce them if asked (the smart ones also take copies and let them keep the copy of the Original.) This is true for your next stages also - You will be doing the AOS and then the permanent Green card and then (perhaps) the citizenship. So! You can still learn. And, you can get most of the documents replaced by going back to the source that issued them and paying for them. Tax Info is very easy to replace. Don't know what else you need to replace, but you are exagerating by calling it impossible to replace - even your birth certificate and passport can be replaced. Good luck in the next stages.

Chill out there buddy :yes:

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Timeline

I agree with Pink Rose, chill out :thumbs: Wish I was "a smart one" to, but oh well....

Anyway, We took the originals (and copies) to the embassy in Bogotá for the interview, like we were instructed. After the interview, the fellow promptly swooped up the originals and put them in the envelope that we were not supposed to open. I even asked about the originals, to which he replied "she'll get those back when she enters the US, at immigration".

So, I guess I should have known better, but on the other hand, what was I going to do, rip them out of his hands?

You live, you learn. We made it all the way through getting the K-1 and getting her here without to any major problems, so I'm still not feeling to terribly stupid. Maybe if I had to do this more than once I'd be a little better at it.

Besides, were together, were married, and were at least 1/2 way there!!!

We'll work it out, just a bit more effort required.

Neal,

A tip for when you do your AOS. Submit only copies and keep the originals. USCIS will not return any original documents that you submit. You will bring these originals to the AOS interview in case the interviewing officer wants to see them.

Got it, thanks. Thats what I did for the K-1, only like I said, the embassy kind of decided to put the originals in the packet for us, and unfortunately I didn't know enough to throw a fit right then and there!

Thanks again for the tip.

Neal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline

yikes. see its posts like these that make me nervous about sending my passport or naturalization certificate through mail to PARAGUAY (of all places!!). it's just weird all our lives we've been instructed to keep these sorts of documents close by. now immigration officals take them and I might not know how to get them back. it's a little unnerving, no? (notarized copy anyone? or would this just be totally unacceptable?)

May 2nd - Sent I-129F to Vermont

May 13th - NOA1

June 23rd - recieved RFE (IMBRA)

June 24th - Sent back RFE

June 27th - 7 touches

June 30th - touched

July 3rd - touched

July 10th - NOA2 notice via email

July 14th - NOA2 via snail mail

July 14th - petition mailed thru DHL to Asuncion, PY

Week of July 17th - Embassy received my petition

July 24th - beneficiary receives packet 3

July 27th - medical exam

Aug 7th - interview - approved :)

Aug 11th - picked up his visa

Aug 21st - purchased plane ticket!

Aug 30th - reunion day :)

yikes. see its posts like these that make me nervous about sending my passport or naturalization certificate through mail to PARAGUAY (of all places!!). it's just weird all our lives we've been instructed to keep these sorts of documents close by. now immigration officals take them and I might not know how to get them back. it's a little unnerving, no? (notarized copy anyone? or would this just be totally unacceptable?)

Don't send your passport. But do send the naturalization certificate. If you lose both, it's very hard to prove you're a US citizen. Keep the passport. I sent my citizenship certificate but kept my passport and didn't have a problem.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a couple of questions concerning this as well. I realize that we have to have originals of birth certificate, divorce decrees and transcripts from the IRS. My first question is what about in my situation where I was married until last fall? I've been told that because I had to file jointly in 2003 and 2004 that I have to send my original W-2 forms for those years to show how much I made individually.

I'm also wondering about the snail mail letters from my fiance that he has written to me. They won't take those.....or will they? :( I mean obviously having my fiance get his visa and being here is most important, but I think everyone here can understand the importance of being able to keep originals of the letters he has handwritten to me for sentimental reasons.

All the original boarding passes and baggage tickets from the airlines? Do they keep those at the K-1 interview too or do they return them ? Will we need those later at any point for the AOS interview?

So my final question is this, really. Is there any way to keep our 'sentimental' orginal stuff used for evidence of our ongoing relationship.

Thanks for you help.

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Timeline
I have a couple of questions concerning this as well. I realize that we have to have originals of birth certificate, divorce decrees and transcripts from the IRS. My first question is what about in my situation where I was married until last fall? I've been told that because I had to file jointly in 2003 and 2004 that I have to send my original W-2 forms for those years to show how much I made individually.

I'm also wondering about the snail mail letters from my fiance that he has written to me. They won't take those.....or will they? :( I mean obviously having my fiance get his visa and being here is most important, but I think everyone here can understand the importance of being able to keep originals of the letters he has handwritten to me for sentimental reasons.

All the original boarding passes and baggage tickets from the airlines? Do they keep those at the K-1 interview too or do they return them ? Will we need those later at any point for the AOS interview?

So my final question is this, really. Is there any way to keep our 'sentimental' orginal stuff used for evidence of our ongoing relationship.

Thanks for you help.

I can help answer parts of yours :)

Montreal will not ask for proof of your relationship but if you're concerned bring copies of the envelopes to your interview.

We sent copies of boarding passes with our I-129f petition, and were not asked to provide the originals at any stage.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for you help.

I can help answer parts of yours :)

Montreal will not ask for proof of your relationship but if you're concerned bring copies of the envelopes to your interview.

We sent copies of boarding passes with our I-129f petition, and were not asked to provide the originals at any stage.

Wow, really? I thought for sure they'd want some sort of letters and/or e-mails we had sent to one another. That'd be a big load off our shoulders if they don't. Plus I was kind of stressing about his first three trips here. We didn't know at the time of those trips that we would possibly need the boarding passes and so he didn't save those. I called Delta and they said they don't even know if they could pull that info for us and even if they did it's $20 per ticket. What a rip off. As if we don't spend a rediculous amount of money for tickets the first time around. Sorry just venting. Thanks for the insight.

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.