winner2013

Is it safe for a new immigrant to live with a roommate ?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

i am planning to move to USA. I'm considering rent a room in a sharing appartment (roommate) for it is the a cheaper option. But i am a little bit afraid because i've never shared appartment with people outside of my family. So I need you tell me about your experience living in roommate in USA. Somebody get issue with that ? Thanks.

Yes, it is safe. Plenty of people have roommates in the US (especially when they are younger, but older people have them too sometimes). What are you afraid of?

Generally you should talk to a potential roommate and ask about their habits, if they are noisy or messy, if they like to cook, how they behave, etc. Look at a few options and decide which will be best. As an immigrant, everything will be unfamiliar, so it may be harder to know right away if a situation is normal. In that case I would just talk to them extra beforehand. Make sure you see the apartment before you decide.

What country are you from?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Many people will actually room with immigrants from their home country. I know so many Nigerians that open a spare room for someone arriving on DV visas or other visas. It helps them adjust and has the advantage of someone that knows the customs and foods back home being able to guide the new immigrant through he ways of the US

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

check with the international studies departments of the local colleges/universities. they may be able to give you a connection to good living arrangements with students from your country or families who are willing to rent out rooms to those from different countries.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

I've not shared with anyone in the US, but I have in other countries and although it has always been a positive experience I would strongly advise that you find accommodation for the first 1 to 2 weeks in a b&b, hotel, motel, hostel or with friends or such like so that you can meet potential roommates and see the accommodation before committing to living with them. It may be scary moving knowing that you only have accommodation for a week or two, but that should be plenty of time to find somewhere to live if you start your search as soon as you get there, it is generally easier and quicker than you think to find a room. Make sure you go to see at least 3 places before making any decisions.

The majority of people are safe and sane, but you might not have similar lifestyles to them all or enjoy the company of them all. I have often thought that an internet advert had ideal roommates and then on meeting with them realized that they are not people that I want to live with (not that they were dangerous, just I would not enjoy being around them lots). Or that an apartment looked really good in the pictures, only to find out that I didn't feel safe in that part of the city when I went to visit it.

Also the possibilities for scams and deception online is very real and it is easy to get drawn into if you don't know the area you are moving to, do not hand over or send any money for deposits/rent etc until you have physically been to the apartment/house and met the people you will be living with, even if it sounds great and someone is pressuring you to commit or you will lose the apartment. The more pressure someone applies to ask for money before you visit the place, the more wary you should be.

As I said above, I have always enjoyed sharing accommodation with others and found it a positive experience, it is a great way to get to know people in a new city, and generally a great way to save money. I don't want to put you off, but I do want you to go in with your eyes open to ensure you have the best chances of finding a nice place with people that you will enjoy living with.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.