Jeanna

Questions about procedures at Kingston, Jamaica embassy

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Salaam and peace ya'll! My fiance was FINALLY approved in July (after our second application for an I-129F, long story) and the NVC sent his packet to the embassy in Aug. We never heard from them and after a few emails were finally given an inteview date. Yes!

Now the questions begin! It is so frustrating that you get different information from different government sources. According to the State Dept, we must fill out a DS260. The paper from the Kingston Embassy said specifically a DS230. ? Also on the paper they emailed me, in bold, it said bring the money for your visa to the embassy. My fiance said his paper that they mailed ot him said pay at the bank first and bring a receipt.

We don't have an invoice with a total amount on it, so how do we know exactly how much to pay? It is for my husband and his son. Also what about the forms? Is it the DS260 and if so, do I need to fill out the DS156K and DS157? I guess we'll just end up doing all the forms but I am really worried about doing the wrong thing and making us wait even longer.

Please, anyone who has recently been through Kingston, can you give us any insight? I've emailed them again but you know how that goes!

"Verily, after hardship there is ease" Holy Qur'an 94:6

http://www.anaashad.blogspot.com

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Caribbean Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thanks! This is my first time posting here (I just joined) before I would always be directed to this website via google when I had immigration questions. Sorry I didn't see the regional forums. :)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Salaam and peace ya'll! My fiance was FINALLY approved in July (after our second application for an I-129F, long story) and the NVC sent his packet to the embassy in Aug. We never heard from them and after a few emails were finally given an inteview date. Yes!

Now the questions begin! It is so frustrating that you get different information from different government sources. According to the State Dept, we must fill out a DS260. The paper from the Kingston Embassy said specifically a DS230. ? Also on the paper they emailed me, in bold, it said bring the money for your visa to the embassy. My fiance said his paper that they mailed ot him said pay at the bank first and bring a receipt.

We don't have an invoice with a total amount on it, so how do we know exactly how much to pay? It is for my husband and his son. Also what about the forms? Is it the DS260 and if so, do I need to fill out the DS156K and DS157? I guess we'll just end up doing all the forms but I am really worried about doing the wrong thing and making us wait even longer.

Please, anyone who has recently been through Kingston, can you give us any insight? I've emailed them again but you know how that goes!

LOL @Jawree After today, I won't be the guru for the process, cause it has major changes. What a difference one year makes....

You say fiance, then husband....which is it?

Anyway as being a K-1 petition, since you already have an interview date, you will go under the current process as of March 2013. You will complete the DS-230, and the other forms on the checklist below for each person. You will register for DHL for each person bring a printout of DHL registration to interview. You are paying $240.00 x2...You will pay your visa fee at the interview.

Here are the links:

Checklist - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/450987-updated-jamaica-checklist/

DHL - https://usvisa-info.com/en-jm/selfservice/ss_country_welcome

Medical - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/450989-updated-medical-appointment-information-jamaica/

You will need to call and make medical appointment for both. The fees vary based on shots needed.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

Thanks so much! The embassy actually replied to my email so this is a huge relief to have definitive answers from two parties; when does THAT happen? ;)

As for the fiance/husband issue, we are of course unmarried legally as per regulations but we are married Islamically which allowed us to be together alone when I would come to visit him in Jamaica. :) Sometimes I get tripped up but legally no, we are not married.

Thanks so much, we have his medical scheduled; it was very tight, getting an appointment more than 10 days before the interview but after we were notified of the interview date. Because of so much internal processing we were afraid to get the medical too soon since it can expire. :) But thankfully it all worked out and we are eagerly awaiting a positive outcome from his interview, God willing!

Timeline

Almost! :) His appt is on Nov. 1st and I feel confident he'll be approved. I've made a huge packet of proofs to send; pages of phone call logs and text messages, photos, flight itineraries for our 3 trips along with copies of passport stamps. God willing, he will be approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.