Strictly4theluv

AOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Taxes at I-864 Affadavit)

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Thank you for the reply! I can't travel until my AOS is complete so out of the question for me to go to France, do you think just emailing the French embassy in the US would work? I am going to try that smile.png Or maybe call them first.

Hello,

I didn't mean for you to acctually go to the embassy. You can go on either website (either the frech embassy website in the USA or the USA embassy in france website) and they should have information about official translators...

Maybe calling or sending email to them might help you!

smile.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You need something translated? I got lost in this long and topic-bouncing thread...

If so, you don't need an embassy, just google "translation service" and find one. No problem.

No, I can translate the document myself as I previously said but it's for the USCIS. My birth certificate needs to be translated by a competent professional who will also need to certify it is a complete and accurate translation; that's why I was asking the question.

I just came back from WV where an officer took my biometrics. All went well and they said the next step would be an interview. Thing is before this we need to submit the form I-864 completed with the copy/transcript of last year Federal Income tax returns + the translation of birth certificate done by a competent officer to be accepted wink.png

Thanks for the answers, I will keep you all posted!!

Timeline

Hello,

I didn't mean for you to acctually go to the embassy. You can go on either website (either the frech embassy website in the USA or the USA embassy in france website) and they should have information about official translators...

Maybe calling or sending email to them might help you!

Yes, now I got it, thank you!! goofy.gif

No, I can translate the document myself as I previously said but it's for the USCIS. My birth certificate needs to be translated by a competent professional who will also need to certify it is a complete and accurate translation; that's why I was asking the question.

I just came back from WV where an officer took my biometrics. All went well and they said the next step would be an interview. Thing is before this we need to submit the form I-864 completed with the copy/transcript of last year Federal Income tax returns + the translation of birth certificate done by a competent officer to be accepted wink.png

Thanks for the answers, I will keep you all posted!!

If you are competent in both languages then you can do it yourself. You have to write a statement on there declaring your ability. You can find samples if you use the advanced search function here.

Or, you can use a professional translation service. Easily found by googling "certified French translation" or similar phrase.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

If you are competent in both languages then you can do it yourself. You have to write a statement on there declaring your ability. You can find samples if you use the advanced search function here.

Or, you can use a professional translation service. Easily found by googling "certified French translation" or similar phrase.

Oh really?! I didn't know that, thanks!!

Hi,

I was in a very similar situation as you are. My husband basically spent 9 month working oversea last year therefore on his W2 it only appears the rest 3 month's income, which, according to my lawyer is not an ideal number to convince USCIS that he is able to support me or the family.. Therefore, we had no choice but find a sponsor, it is not as hard as you thought, your mother in law is a good choice, however, the requirement could vary according to different people's situation (i.e. the requirement on annual income may go higher if your possible sponsor candidate is the head of a household and owns multiple properties or have many kids)

Therefore, I would say ask a lawyer about this, however I believe in most case scenario having a sponsor will be more practically doable than finding an accountant or tax person to redo your husband's tax.

Btw, it will not help with anything even providing a legal proof from your husband's company stating how much he actually made last year cause my husband was attempting to do so. The USCIS just look at the form and W2 number will be the only thing they will be looking for.

I am still waiting on my interview (Day 104)..but I have full confidence in USCIS sicne we all know they are well organized and nothing but efficient.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

I was in a very similar situation as you are. My husband basically spent 9 month working oversea last year therefore on his W2 it only appears the rest 3 month's income, which, according to my lawyer is not an ideal number to convince USCIS that he is able to support me or the family.. Therefore, we had no choice but find a sponsor, it is not as hard as you thought, your mother in law is a good choice, however, the requirement could vary according to different people's situation (i.e. the requirement on annual income may go higher if your possible sponsor candidate is the head of a household and owns multiple properties or have many kids)

Therefore, I would say ask a lawyer about this, however I believe in most case scenario having a sponsor will be more practically doable than finding an accountant or tax person to redo your husband's tax.

Btw, it will not help with anything even providing a legal proof from your husband's company stating how much he actually made last year cause my husband was attempting to do so. The USCIS just look at the form and W2 number will be the only thing they will be looking for.

I am still waiting on my interview (Day 104)..but I have full confidence in USCIS sicne we all know they are well organized and nothing but efficient.

The W-2 is not the only thing they go by in determining if you are able to support your foreign spouse. The I-864 actually has you list the Total Income amount from your last 3 years of taxes on the form and you are required to submit a complete copy of your tax return or an IRS tax transcript. The most important aspect is your current income, which is also asked for on the form. You can prove current income with a letter from employer and/or recent pay stub(s).

Finding a joint sponsor does not negate the need to file your back taxes if you were legally required to file. The USC petitioner/sponsor still has to fill out their own I-864 and provide their tax information and supporting documentation.

Please see Page 5 & 6 of the I-864 instructions > http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Not everyone adjusting from a K-1 will have an interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Hi Jay Kay

Sorry if I was not clear enough, yes of course you still need to provide your tax return information even if you have a sponsor. However, we called an account to see if my husband can redo his tax, it will charge additional service fee and rather complicated. Therefore, having a sponsor is an option for people who have issues with their financial stability..

And btw I am adjusting from F-1, and have been waiting 104 days for my GC interview, not sure if the shutdown is slowing down the process or not but I am trying to be positive

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Jay Kay

Sorry if I was not clear enough, yes of course you still need to provide your tax return information even if you have a sponsor. However, we called an account to see if my husband can redo his tax, it will charge additional service fee and rather complicated. Therefore, having a sponsor is an option for people who have issues with their financial stability..

And btw I am adjusting from F-1, and have been waiting 104 days for my GC interview, not sure if the shutdown is slowing down the process or not but I am trying to be positive

Thanks

The issue here was not that someone's taxes did not show enough income though. The issue was about not filing in some years when they were required to file. It would not matter if they used a joint sponsor or not, anyone that was required to file and did not needs to file their back taxes before filling out an I-864.

timeline.gif It helps others know exactly what you have filed for and where you are in the process so you can get the best, most accurate answers you need. I moved your other post about interview to the incorrect forum and have now moved it once again to the correct one. The process for those applying from a visa other than family based is a bit different and there is a separate AOS forum for them.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi,

We just got my husband's taxes filed and ready to be sent. I am wondering, do we have to send just the copy/transcripts of the taxes that helped filing them out or also join them with the final paper we just received (the one on which my husband had to put down his signature)??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.