lbounds

Driving in Philippines. Have you done it with car rental ?

39 posts in this topic

In case you guys missed the joke,,Hank doesn't ride a Harley,,he confided in me he is a novice rider and someday will upgrade to a real American bike,,,

"Never Argue with an idiot, he will only bring you down to his level"

K1 Visa Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-03-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-07-28

Interview Date : 19 AUG 2013 cancelled due to flooding Sept 11 2013

Interview Result : Approved!

Visa Received : 18 Sept

US Entry : 26 Sept 2013

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 130 days from your NOA1 date.

Married 12-15-2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS- When I get the cash for it

A guy shouldnt have to go through all this hassle to bring a girl over

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think it's funny that we all talk about how crazy the drivers are there in the philippines, however, how many wrecks do you actually see there. In ten trips to CDO, i have only seen a couple and they were minor. On the second trip I started driving both motorcycles and cars, and haven't even came close to any problems. However, when I'm there I drive like a filipino, not like I do here in the U S. There is a major difference and if you don't understand the method to the madness there, then you really don't need to drive while there. Like others have said though, if you do drive, just remember it will cost you much more and usually be your fault if you are involved in an accident. Now with all that being said, I have never drove in Metro Manila, and have no plans to.

I think it's funny that we all talk about how crazy the drivers are there in the philippines, however, how many wrecks do you actually see there. In ten trips to CDO, i have only seen a couple and they were minor. On the second trip I started driving both motorcycles and cars, and haven't even came close to any problems. However, when I'm there I drive like a filipino, not like I do here in the U S. There is a major difference and if you don't understand the method to the madness there, then you really don't need to drive while there. Like others have said though, if you do drive, just remember it will cost you much more and usually be your fault if you are involved in an accident. Now with all that being said, I have never drove in Metro Manila, and have no plans to.

Pls tell the rest of us what the method to the madness is,,,how do you "drive like a filipino"?

have a blatant disregard for the safety of others and absolutley no common sense?

because thats the charcteristics I see when I'm there

"Never Argue with an idiot, he will only bring you down to his level"

K1 Visa Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-03-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-07-28

Interview Date : 19 AUG 2013 cancelled due to flooding Sept 11 2013

Interview Result : Approved!

Visa Received : 18 Sept

US Entry : 26 Sept 2013

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 130 days from your NOA1 date.

Married 12-15-2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS- When I get the cash for it

A guy shouldnt have to go through all this hassle to bring a girl over

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Pls tell the rest of us what the method to the madness is,,,how do you "drive like a filipino"?

have a blatant disregard for the safety of others and absolutley no common sense?

because thats the charcteristics I see when I'm there

Well you see the first method is that the bigger vehicle has the right of way if it wants it. Traffic signs/lights mean nothing. And one thing that is very un American is that you really have to pay attention to what is going on around you, outside of the car! Always expect and anticipate the unexpected. There are many other things that you can pick up if you really look. Now Americans on the other hand tailgate at 70 mph, usually while talking or texting on the phone, kill each other to the tune of 90+ a day, spend over 2.5 billion annually on accident costs, and from surveys at least, everyone thinks they are the safest drivers alive. Shoot, in Texas alone year to date, there has already been over 2200 people killed in traffic accidents, wonder how many injured? And that's with the latest safety techology available. As far as the blatant disregard for safety of others and no common sense, I see it every day going to/from work here in the U.S. So yes, I still think it's funny when we talk about how crazy the drivers are in the philippines, I haven't seen anything crazy there that I haven't seen here. Just a different way of doing things.

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd hate to see what "ambulance" service might be like if it's needed. In that video they said that about 10 people die per day in Manila traffic. Scary.

I guess I'll just figure where I want to go and hire a driver. Whenever I go back with my wife she wants to stick close to family so there's a lot I haven't explored yet that I wish I could. I'll get to it I'm sure.

Sadly there were two bombings recently in movie theaters in Davao malls where I have been before. There's a lot of bad fighting with the military and muslim extremists now on the west side of Mindanao. Davao has always been a peaceful place for me whenever I visited before. I hope the Philippine military and government can fix this situation. I've always wanted to visit the underground river at Puerto Princesa but I may hold off on that for a year or two since that's in the Muslim area.

I rented a car in Manila and drove to Santiago City before. Rental cars are very expensive in the Philippines. Once outside of Manila is was peaceful country driving and wonderful views of open space. If the car broke down somewhere I don't know what I would have done. The rental car company said they would have sent someone for us but Im sure that would have taken forever. I never had any problems other than a huge cow kicking bucking in to the side of the car as I tried to pass by it on a narrow dirt road. It was the middle of the night and the cow got spooked by the car and bucked the rope loose from its neck, kicked the car and jumped off the embankment in to the water. Had me pretty scarred. I though I just killed somebodies cow. I got out of the car and the cow was standing on the other side river. I didn't know cows could swim lol.

Btw Puerto Princesa, Palawan is a peaceful and safe place. The underground river is over rated I think. The islands and beaches in port Barton and El Nido are worth the effort getting to and the water is crystal clear.

Dec 12th, 2013 – Mailed in I-129F Package to Texas Lockbox.

Dec 13th, 2013 – Package Delivered.

Dec 18th, 2013 - NOA1 Text and Email

Dec 20th, 2013 - NOA1 Hardcopy received in mail. Notice date on hardcopy says December 17th.

Jan 24th, 2014 - NOA2 - update on USCIS website

Feb 12th, 2014 - NVC has received our approved I-129F and we were given a Case #

March 15th, 2014 - Passed St. Luke's Medical Exam

March 15. 2014 - Rescheduled Embassy Appointment to March 24, 2014

March 24, 2014 - Visa Approved! :dance:

When in Rome...

I've drove in many countrys, just gotta adapt to how the locals do it. I've never driven in the Phils, but as long as I know where to go or have a GPS I'd be fine.

Accidents in just about any country where you're the foreigner means you're at fault no matter what.

To the OP...like Hank's...my wife won't let me drive there...and thats actually good...a car and a driver...sit back and relax....regardless what folks say...the driving there is insanity...with NO RULES (that I could grasp)..period...and yes...On Cebu...we saw deaths everyday...so its just not worth it...good luck...:-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.