KarlLarsson

How long for my new SSN to register everywhere?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I just got my SSN a couple of weeks ago and I tried to register for Selective Services Online and they said that they could not find my SSN. Ok I thought, maybe they just have slow computers that only updateds once or month or something. So I sent them a letter with the form instead.

Today I am trying to register on Creditkarma.com, I do not have any credit lines yet (of course, hehe) but I wanted to be prepare and keep an eye on my score once I got my first creit card and loans so I figured I should register now anyway. Well they cant find my SSN either!!!

Should I be worried? Did my SSN not reigster properly? Is there like a homepage that I can control if the SSN is registred at the Social Security office?

Should I wait more or should I just call tomorrow?

Sincerely.

SSNs don't register anywhere.

A SSN is only a unique number to identify you for your retirement benefits.

It is not a national ID number.

Other businesses and organizations piggy back on that number for its uniqueness, and the US gov says okay.

You don't have any credit so credit karma says they can't find you. But they are looking for credit reports and you have none. They can't find your SSN in credit reports because your SSN isn't on any credit reports.

Nothing to worry about.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Well the SSS doesn't find people through the SSA. People are required to sign up with SSS. So, I don't know, were you accidentally inquiring with the "check on my status" thing instead of "register new?" I don't see why the SSS would know who you were by your SSN. They are both government, but separate agencies, and like I said, the SSN is issued and maintained by SSA only. There is no database of SSNs to protect your identity.

It is not a national ID number.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

fastest dispersal of SSN through 'the system':

1. get a capital one prepaid credit card.

2. use it for a month.

3. pay the bill, 100 percent, 3 days prior to the bill due date.

then, a month after 3, you are found, everywhere.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.