Gulabjamun

k-1 ? or not? London or Pakistan?

56 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You have to remember that the embassy will consider what is customary and standard in the beneficiary's culture. In this case, that would be what is customary in Pakistani culture. So, if by Pakistani standard/culture, you are considered married then the US embassy will consider you married.

I am not Muslim, so I cannot speak to it in that context. But I have seen couples in other countries, Nigeria specifically, denied the K-1 when they had a traditional ceremony only and had no marriage document, no court wedding, no church wedding. That is because, in Nigeria, they were considered married by traditional custom. They were denied and told to file as married.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Please file cr1 and not k1! Nikah is legal marriage. You also need Khula/ divorce paper from previous marriage. It is true you will be denied k1 as you are considerd married to each other according to Islamic law.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You will be going through Pakistan.

So if you are MArried in Pakistan you need a CR1.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Please file cr1 and not k1! Nikah is legal marriage. You also need Khula/ divorce paper from previous marriage. It is true you will be denied k1 as you are considerd married to each other according to Islamic law.

He doesnt have enough proof to file CR-1 embassy doesnt recognise simple white paper nikah nama in uk. if he got married through any registered islamic marriage center in lodon thn he wud be in the record thn in this condition he cud file for CR-1

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Yes, there were 2 witnesses and a wali for me... It was definitely an Islamic contract (we are halal to be together) But yes it is on a white piece of paper with nothing legally saying that it is a civil or registered marriage. That is why I think we still qualify for the k-1 visa. I did have one lawyer tell me that we still qualify for k-1 and that the uscis will not care about this and will consider it similar to engagement. ... Also, yes the previous marriage I am speaking of was also just nikah and not registered, so will we need a divorce decree for that one?

Well bro inn the UK, Islamic laws have no standing at all. If you have just a nikkah/white paper, you are not classified as being married in the eyes of the UK government or US embassy in london.

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Also, yes the previous marriage I am speaking of was also just nikah and not registered, so will we need a divorce decree for that one?

If previouse marriage happend in pakistan thn in ths case the nikkah is the legal marriage in Pakistan so yh you will need divorce decree

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Timeline

UK does not matter, will not be there for interview.

They do need proof of marriage, sounds like that is being done as mentioned in the initial post.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

We are planning on filing k-1. The marriage certificate (which right now is useless piece of paper) had not been filed anywhere officially. We just sent it to his father in Pakistan to get attested so I can get id card, but it has not been recongized there or filed anywhere. If it is going to affect the k1 process we wont get it attested. We do not plan on mentioning this 'Islamic marrige' because it is really just a verbal agreement, but we signed the paper with the imam to be halal because that is their process. No the previous marriage I am speaking of was not in Pakistan and it too was never stamped or filed anywhere, so as far as I am assuming we are both legal to get the k-1?? am I wrong? we both have non married certficates

I had friend in Indonesia. She was married to her then-boyfriend which is called nikah mut'ah or marriage contract. They were married to avoid zina because in Islam, they are not recognise what it calls dating. Only needs Imam, 2 witnesses, groom and bride to be.

I am not sure if the OP marriage is according to shiah or not. It means, nikah mut'ah is not registered in any Islamic Marriage Office or Civil Office which is means no legal binding over it. But, I am not sure which is visa would be suit for her. Maybe someone would come up here and shed a light of this.

Mutah is just a temporary marriage for Shia nd in sunni's islam its huram

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Timeline

aka prostitution.

Not what the OP was talking about.

aka prostitution.

Not what the OP was talking about.

I didnt mention this to OP

n plz dont call it prostitution as its legal in Shia islam so respect it

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

We are planning on filing k-1. The marriage certificate (which right now is useless piece of paper) had not been filed anywhere officially. We just sent it to his father in Pakistan to get attested so I can get id card, but it has not been recongized there or filed anywhere. If it is going to affect the k1 process we wont get it attested. We do not plan on mentioning this 'Islamic marrige' because it is really just a verbal agreement, but we signed the paper with the imam to be halal because that is their process. No the previous marriage I am speaking of was not in Pakistan and it too was never stamped or filed anywhere, so as far as I am assuming we are both legal to get the k-1?? am I wrong? we both have non married certficates

I wud say it may be easier to actually get married and have a proper wedding and then apply for a spouse visa rather thb a K-1 visa. While it means you may be seprated for a while nd there are definite advantages to a spouse (CR1) visa rather thn a Fiance K-1 visa. Look at a marriage first than a visa n islamic ceremony on its own doesnt contitute a legal marriage, however it is very har to prove tht you arent married, nd there are several cases that come to mind that are similar. 1 is a K-1 muslimman who told the office at his point of entry (POE) tht he ws arriving to join hi wife,since the K-1 is a visa for fiances he was sent bak home. & Ministry of Affair pakistan wont attest your this simple white paper. So in the end i wud sugest you to think twice before you take any step towards ths process. Good Luck

Edited by @@mirpeArL

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Timeline

I didnt mention this to OP

n plz dont call it prostitution as its legal in Shia islam so respect it

Prostitution may be illegal in some places but by no means all, this is an example.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

As Boiler tried to tell it:

from september-to april : 7 months. Will he have already his interview?

Does he plan to go back to Pakistan for his interview?

I'm just guessing:

if Pakistan accepts your marriage, and the interview is in Pakistan: so CR1

if the interview is in UK, and they don't accept your marriage so K1.

I may be wrong.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.