NikkiWicki

travel to Philippines with an expiring passport

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi fellow vjers! yes I am here again, here's my concern

I am travelling to the philippines on October 5 and will be back oct 20. i renewed my passport today it says ill be getting my new passport in 6-8 weeks time which means I wont be able to have it on the day of my departure. I still have my valid passport with me good until NOv 8. So can I just use my old valid passport? and probably by that time I come back my new passport will be here. thanks to all the replies!!!

03/27/2012- I-129F sent to USCIS

04/02/2012- NOA1 email

04/05/2012- NOA1 hard copy received

07/23/2012- finally some light! RFE via EMAIL

08/05/2012- Sent RFE reply from Philippines

08/09/2012- RFE Reply Response Review Notification Email

08/15/2012- NOA2 Approval via Email

08/22/2012- Hard copy of NOA2 received!

08/24/2012- MNL case number noted!

08/31/2012- Physical Exam at SLEC- Passed!

09/07/2012- Big Day! Interview-> APPROVED!

09/14/2012- CFO Seminar->done!

09/18/2012- Visa on Hand!, CFO Sticker DONE! YAY!!!!

10/04/2012- America Here I Come!!!

10/05/2012- Touchdown Chicago!

Very possible that the PI may not let you in because the passport is within 6 months of expiration!

I doubt they will even let you on the plane to fly over there,,,seriously you will need at least 6 mos remaing on your passport to enter the PI

you shouldve paid the extra 75 bucks or whatever to expedite it!

Edited by Niblet

"Never Argue with an idiot, he will only bring you down to his level"

K1 Visa Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-03-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-07-28

Interview Date : 19 AUG 2013 cancelled due to flooding Sept 11 2013

Interview Result : Approved!

Visa Received : 18 Sept

US Entry : 26 Sept 2013

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 130 days from your NOA1 date.

Married 12-15-2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS- When I get the cash for it

A guy shouldnt have to go through all this hassle to bring a girl over

When you applied for a passport, they should have punched your old one, rendering it unusable. And as stated, most airlines will not let you travel without at least 6 months left on your current passport.

ETA: We got her new passport in 4-5 weeks instead of the 6-8 they predicted.

Edited by DavenRoxy

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am travelling to the philippines on October 5 and will be back oct 20. i renewed my passport today it says ill be getting my new passport in 6-8 weeks time which means I wont be able to have it on the day of my departure. I still have my valid passport with me good until NOv 8. So can I just use my old valid passport? and probably by that time I come back my new passport will be here. thanks to all the replies!!!

You cannot use your old passport anymore.

Better re-schedule your flight.

See if you can pay for expedited processing of the updated passport. If its an option

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

When you applied for a passport, they should have punched your old one, rendering it unusable. And as stated, most airlines will not let you travel without at least 6 months left on your current passport.

ETA: We got her new passport in 4-5 weeks instead of the 6-8 they predicted.

And the winning answer is.... ;) (old passport has a hole punched in it... no good anymore)

:thumbs::thumbs:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

That's interesting because you are supposed to turn your old passport in with the application. If it is lost or stolen I think you do the same form as first-time applicants instead of the renew-by-mail application.

So you have more problems than an expiring passport. They don't like you keeping the old one because of the black market in passports. That's why they make you turn them in, whereupon they punch holes in it. If you knowingly do the form under "lost or stolen" when you have it in hand and then use it - expect trouble.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

That's interesting because you are supposed to turn your old passport in with the application. If it is lost or stolen I think you do the same form as first-time applicants instead of the renew-by-mail application.

So you have more problems than an expiring passport. They don't like you keeping the old one because of the black market in passports. That's why they make you turn them in, whereupon they punch holes in it. If you knowingly do the form under "lost or stolen" when you have it in hand and then use it - expect trouble.

My wife still has her old passport, the consulate staff just punched a hole in it, then handed it back to her. So ... NOPE, no issue having the old passport.

... oh ya... look who popped out of the woods! How is the leg? (hope I am remembering correctly)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

That's interesting because you are supposed to turn your old passport in with the application.

Roxane and I both kept our old passports, with holes punched in them. They just punched it and handed it back. That renders them unusable for travel (though I have heard some places will still accept them as proof of ID until the new one arrives).

Timeline

Roxane and I both kept our old passports, with holes punched in them. They just punched it and handed it back. That renders them unusable for travel (though I have heard some places will still accept them as proof of ID until the new one arrives).

So have I. Got two of them. But you can't travel to Philippines on a passport with holes punched into it. It's expired regardless of the date stamp.

It's strange phrasing to say he "still has" one, as opposed to having the old one returned with the holes in it. That's kind of a clue to most people it's not valid for entry.

I know, but I think the OP didn't realize the significance of the punched hole (assuming his/her passport WAS punched, but normally they are). Hence the advice to re-schedule the trip until the new one arrives above.

ETA: Just re-read, and the OP says they still have their "valid" passport. Not sure how he/she has such, or perhaps misunderstands about the hole punch. Perhaps if he/she would reply, we could help more...

Edited by DavenRoxy

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I doubt they will even let you on the plane to fly over there,,,seriously you will need at least 6 mos remaing on your passport to enter the PI

you shouldve paid the extra 75 bucks or whatever to expedite it!

thanks for the reply. as much as I wanted to expedite the renewal thing,they told me their not doing it anymore.

03/27/2012- I-129F sent to USCIS

04/02/2012- NOA1 email

04/05/2012- NOA1 hard copy received

07/23/2012- finally some light! RFE via EMAIL

08/05/2012- Sent RFE reply from Philippines

08/09/2012- RFE Reply Response Review Notification Email

08/15/2012- NOA2 Approval via Email

08/22/2012- Hard copy of NOA2 received!

08/24/2012- MNL case number noted!

08/31/2012- Physical Exam at SLEC- Passed!

09/07/2012- Big Day! Interview-> APPROVED!

09/14/2012- CFO Seminar->done!

09/18/2012- Visa on Hand!, CFO Sticker DONE! YAY!!!!

10/04/2012- America Here I Come!!!

10/05/2012- Touchdown Chicago!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.